Accuracy of machine "calorie counters"

Options
How accurate are the "calorie counter" displays on machines?

I am a 43yo male ~ 295lbs.

I use a Livestrong eliptical and a HRM. I typically keep my heart-rate between 120-135 while running the "fat burner" program for 45 minutes per day. At the end of the workout, the machine reports that I have travelled around 3.75-3.95 miles and that I have "burned" 850-940 calories..

Conversely, when I use a treadmill with a 65% HR program (changes incline/speed automatically to maintain target HR) for the same duration, it says that I have "burned" substantially less usually around 650 calories.

Both seem like a lot. Any guidance?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I use a Livestrong eliptical and a HRM. I typically keep my heart-rate between 120-135 while running the "fat burner" program for 45 minutes per day. At the end of the workout, the machine reports that I have travelled around 3.75-3.95 miles and that I have "burned" 850-940 calories.

If you went out and ran that 3.75 miles, you're looking at right around a 700 calorie burn. For an elliptical, knock 20% off relative to running, and you should be in the right ballpark. So call it 560 calories.