Yard work?

Options
Does anyone know if MFP considers yard work like raking leaves or push mowing the grass as exercise?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    For little things like that, I end up logging 100cals/hour. It seems to average out fine for me.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on who you are. I haven't done yardwork in -- literally -- years. If I was weeding flower beds and raking leaves I'd probably count it as 'extra' activity above and beyond my regular routine.

But if I did yardwork every weekend, I wouldn't count it.

Or, if I'd previously been too out of shape to do yardwork, but my fitness was increasing and I was now able to, I would probably count it for the feeling of accomplishment!

Disclaimer -- I don't log exercise in order to eat more calories. I use my TDEE to set my calorie goals. I log exercise because it makes me feel proud of myself.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I typed in raking on the exercise data base and that came up. I feel fortunate living in a townhome not having to do any though! :bigsmile:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I do yard work only 2-3 times in the fall, and 2-3 times in the spring. I end up doing a lot of walking and hauling branches and raking leaves, so I count it as my cardio for the day. I usually feel it in my muscles the next day, haha!

If it was part of my daily or even weekly routine, I probably wouldn't count it.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I usually just log running from Endomondo (which happens automatically)
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I count push mowing and weedeating as exercise because I never did this until last summer so it wasn't already part of my normal activities when I started this journey. Also if I spent more then say an hour spraying weeds, cleaning up the yard, etc. I count that as well.
    I also count extra household chores as activity when I do them such as washing windows, washing the siding, cleaning out closets, taking down blinds and cleaning them and rehanging, shampooing carpets where I move the furniture to do it, etc. I only count things that I don't do on a weekly basis and that are more heavy type work/cleaning efforts that require alot of moving about, lifting, sweating, etc.
    But I have an office job and have my settings set accordingly and I generally only log about half the time spent doing the "cleaning" type activities. I do log the entire time spent mowing/weed eating since my yard is hilly and I'm definitely getting a good workout.
    But whatever work for you.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Gardening, mowing lawn and raking leaves are all in the Cardio exercise logs.
    If you do it for a couple hours it is a great workout. Especially raking, it is great for the shoulders.

There is also the added bonus that your yard looks stellar afterwards. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if MFP considers yard work like raking leaves or push mowing the grass as exercise?

Both are listed as raking and mowing.

Not sure I agree with the numbers, as it told me (190lbs) I'd burn 345/hr raking, and 474/hr mowing.
    I know I way more hot, sweaty, and beat after raking then I am after mowing. Using a mower is like walking up a slight hill (My yard is pretty flat) at a medium pace, where as raking is a full body workout. I got 5 huge oaks in my yard, so the raking in the fall is a daily 2-3hr workout, and the next morning you can't tell I did a thing.

I love the shade in the summer, hate the leaves in the fall.