Herb and Citrus Grilled Tofu

girlmagenta
girlmagenta Posts: 3
edited September 21 in Recipes
"I hate the texture!"
"It doesn't taste like anything."
"I'd rather eat cardboard!"

These are some of the responses I get when I tell my friends how much I enjoy cooking with tofu.

...And it's true- tofu can be bland and rubbery without some zippy ingredients to help it along the way. Although I'm not a vegetarian, I have been living overseas, and rarely trust the meat products that I find in the grocery store; organic meats are either impossible to find, or cost a small fortune. So, I find myself eating soy as a cheap and accessible protein option. Tofu has recently come under speculation due to it's high levels of phytoestrogens, but really- how many nights a week can you eat rice and beans!? And let's be honest, ladies- that's just not a viable dinner option on date night. :)

I enjoy cooking with tofu because you can alter your flavourings to suit your mood, your pantry items, the season...etc. I find the trick is to really amp up your flavours (ie- add more flavour than you think you'll need) because the flavours always mellow a bit in the cooking process. Here's a nice summery version that lends itself to a hot grill and a backyard patio. I serve it with a spinach and bulgur salad, but it would be equally delicious on a bed of brown rice with some steamed veg.

Please do let me know what you think!

PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 6-8 minutes
SERVES: 4

INGREDIENTS:
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
zest of 1 lemon or lime
juice of 1 lemon or lime, freshly squeezed
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
14 tsp fresh sage, chopped
*note: If you don't have the above fresh herbs on hand, you can substitute 1tsp. of dried Herbs de Provence.
1/4 tsp dried chili flakes (or you can use fresh, but alter the amount according to your taste)
salt and pepper to taste
350 g (1 pkg) low fat extra firm tofu, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
1 Tbsp. freshly chopped basil

METHOD:
Preheat your grill to a medium-high heat (or about 450 degrees).
In a shallow dish, mix together all ingredients except the tofu and basil.
Add the tofu and gently toss so that each piece has been covered in the marinade.
Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes, or overnight.
Grill the tofu for about 3 minutes per side, or until each slice has some nice, dark grill marks.
Sprinkle the fresh basil on top and enjoy with spinach and bulgur salad or some brown rice and steamed veg!

NUTRITIONAL INFO PER SERVING:
Calories: 139
Fat: 7
Carbs: 3
Protein: 16

Replies

• mmyers3bw
    mmyers3bw Posts: 2 Member
    That sounds wonderful. I'm going to try it out this weekend!
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    You had me at "Tofu", lol! I've been eating tofu for years and it is soooo misunderstood! Thanks for the great recipe. :flowerforyou: BUMP!
This discussion has been closed.