Bloating....

Options
Hi All,

Hoping for some advice re: bloating (a most embarrasing topic :smile: ). I made tomato & onion & lentil soup for lunch yesterday and today, which has caused me to bloat. I sometimes also get bloating eating pasta dishes (which I typically make with tomato and onion sauces) or if I eat too much bread (although I don't think I'm wheat intolerant as I have no problems with Shreddies).

My questions are:
1. which if these foods is most likely to be the culpret (or could it be all 3)?
2. is there a way to minimise bloating other than by cutting out the food? I love tomatoes and onions, and lentils seem to fill me up on very few calories.
3. are there any other foods that people have found made them bloated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• Sphilips1909
    Sphilips1909 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    "1.Beans and lentils contain indigestible sugars called oligosaccharides. These sugars must be broken down by bacteria in the intestines."

this was something I had just read on Web MD on bloating. I have been eating a lot of raw vegetables and I am pretty sure its my reason for bloat. I may go back to steamed veggies as they are a little easier to digest.
  • musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when I first started eating a lot of fiber and as my body got use to it it went away. A thing that also helped me a lot was taking probiotcs.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    lentils make me bloated , I avoid them like thee plague
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Sounds like it's probably the lentils :-( I don't really like being bloated so I'm not going to cook with them any more. Any suggestions for a non-bloating low-calorie filler for my soup? Or should I just go ahead and add chunks of meaty goodness and more veggies?
  • Bama56
    Bama56 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    maybe its just me, but coffee after a meal seems to be the magical thing for not feeling bloated.