Running shoes

Options
I am new to running and would like to go get a new pair of running shoes. Any suggestions on the best place to go to be fitted for a pair? ****sSporting goods? Footlocker?

Replies

• BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just did a quick search, based on your profile you're near Baltimore. I recommend Fleet Feet. Big box sporting good stores and Footlockers are not going to do a gait analysis. You need to go someplace that specializes in running. I have a friend that works at a Fleet Feet in MI. I also see that there's a Charm City Run - can't figure out from their website if they do analysis, but you can always call
  • scot30316
    scot30316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Go to some sort of store with Running in the name. I don't know where you live but here in Atlanta, Big Peach Running has several locations. They will put you on one of those things that measures your arches, where you put pressure on. Then put you in a neutral shoe and film you running on a treadmill for a little. They check for how your foot strikes etc. Then they brought out about 10 different shoes for me to try, jogged around the store in, jog around out on the sidewalk out front. And made sure the width,length etc was all right as well.

Price for the shoe I bought was the same as if I bought from zappos.
  • BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Price for the shoe I bought was the same as if I bought from zappos.

Yes - don't be surprised to pay $100+ for the shoes. But believe me, it'll be worth it.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I personally used Fleet Feet and was thrilled with the shoes I ended up with. I would most likely have never found them at a sporting goods or big box store.
  • danyleewell
    danyleewell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I live and Maryland. I also found out that I have plantar fasciitis, bone spur and high arches so maybe going to a special place other than a place in the mall would be best.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am new to running and would like to go get a new pair of running shoes. Any suggestions on the best place to go to be fitted for a pair? ****sSporting goods? Footlocker?

Those are the worst places to go. Find a specialty running store in your area. Assuming you are near a decent size city that should not be a problem. You want to get to try them on and speak with someone who is a runner themselves.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I went to feet first in Columbia and that was ok, they will let you put the shoes on and run around in the parkinglot with them so thats pretty neat. I have also heard really good things about If the Shoe Fits in Frederick but I have not actually been there myself. I have heard they do more with the watching you run and trying to help you get shoes that will work for you so that might be something for you to check out since it sounds like you might have some pre-existing conditions to work with. Hope you find a great pair!
  • danyleewell
    danyleewell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
  • hockeyfan87
    hockeyfan87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Best running shoes I've ever owned are Reebok's Zigs.
    I find them sooo comfortable! I own 2 pairs now :)
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I love Mizuno running shoes. I've tried several different brands over the years and (to me) Mizuno are the most comfortable I've ever owned. I recently got a pair at DSW and they were a lot cheaper than other places, though I think it's because they are probably last year's model.