Keto + poor college student

Options
wtfamidoing
wtfamidoing Posts: 1
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
So I'm your average highly overweight college female with very little money. I decided to start a keto diet, but money is an issue. Why do veggies cost so much? At least it helps me think about portions, right? I'm hoping to lose about 50 pounds and be less beached-whale-y. I'd love to add some friends who are also doing a keto/paleo based diet!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So I'm your average highly overweight college female with very little money. I decided to start a keto diet, but money is an issue. Why do veggies cost so much? At least it helps me think about portions, right? I'm hoping to lose about 50 pounds and be less beached-whale-y. I'd love to add some friends who are also doing a keto/paleo based diet!

Since fat loss doesn't differ significantly between keto and non keto diets holding cals constant, why not eat a more balanced diet allowing you to purchase things that are cheap such as grains, pasta, beans etc?
  • jaycbrf4
    Options
    Spend your money on a good multi vitamin and stay away from carbs and sugars! Eat protein. Chicken, fish, pork, beef. NO breads, pasta, fruit, try to stay under 20 net carbs a day for 2 weeks then gradually increase by 5 carbs a week.

Are you on a food plan @ school? Cold cuts are great protein. Want fast food? Eat a burger but ditch the bun and the toppings. No fries!

Try to eat at least 12-15 carbs of veggies per day. There is a reason those foods are cheap, they are **** for your body! Go back to butter and oil. Lots of veggies. Get off the computer and walk.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Check to see if Bountiful Baskets is available in your area. It is a food co-op and you get a box of veggies and fruits for only $15! You can also upgrade to all organic for $10 or buy different bulk items for way less than the prices in a supermarket.

:love: www.bountifulbaskets.org :love:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    lol if you want to do keto I'd be more worried about the cost of meat than the cost of veggies :D
  • jaycbrf4
    Options
    see if there is a food bank service in your area you can get FREE FOOD! Usually veggies and meats!
This discussion has been closed.