Things you thought when you were overweight

Options
13»

Replies

• JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I thought I still looked good....now after losing the weight and seeing pics, I know I didn't!
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Everyone in my family is large, so no matter what I do I am going to be as well :( Took 40 years to figure out I didn't have to be
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I'm still overweight, but I was guilty of so many of these things! Thinking I wasn't "that fat", thinking I somehow hid my weight well...yet I would have those Shallow Hal moments - you know, when skinny Gwyneth Paltrow throws her panties at him and he holds them up and they're gigantic and he's like "Huh?". I'm still sometimes shocked at how big my clothes are without me in them. Denial is a powerful thing.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I was raised by my aunt who was about 450 pounds. All of my family members were big and I was at the smaller end so I guess it just never crossed my mind that I was overweight even though the doctor told me otherwise. I watched my aunt become housebound and tethered to her oxygen tank in the last years of her life and then I watched her die in the hospital. We had to pay extra to have her transported on a special truck to a cremation facility that could handle someone of her size.

When I saw a picture of her at my (then) age and she was the same size as me that was my wakeup call. I lost 50 pounds and kept it off until I got pregnant again (I must've looked good! :laugh: ) I still only gained about 20 pounds but I still had weight to lose so here I am.

My former mother-in-law was around 250 lb when she had my ex husband, and I was around 250ish when I married him. She was over 400 lb and used to tell me (and my ex) that I'd be as big as she was in a few years. I remember that being a source of pride for me when I hit 30 and was still 250ish. Pride. Being that big. Wow.
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am not overweight, I am just undertall.
    I thought I was a special snowflake who couldn't lose weight, no matter how hard I tried, and that what works for everyone else just doesn't work for me. I was wrong.:happy:
    Me too.

I was skinny as a teenager, had to be sent to the gym to gain weight by a fitness freak father. I remember the women there looking zapped at the idea of a girl wanting to get bigger and telling me "you'll regret it" and me thinking, nyah, I'll never get fat. I remember going to a tailor with a fatter relative and feeling smug at my slimness and looking aghast at her broad hips and thinking, "how could she do that to herself". Who knew one day I would be her and she would become skinny.

So when I finally started getting pudgy in my late 20s, and then overweight, and then fat/obese - the inner skinny girl could never accept the outer fat woman. I ignored friends who gently pointed out my weight. I put away clothes that didn't fit thinking "oh, next year I'll be able to fit them" - because surely I can do it when I set my mind on it. I've always done some fitness programme so I kept thinking it was all about exercise and I didn't realize how much more I was eating than I should. It took me a long time to even accept it and tell myself "I am fat". And then when I went to different nutritionists and gyms and nothing worked, I told myself my metabolism was different, I was especially efficient in retaining fat. I have boxes of clothes for every size in a 30 pound range - and the sad part is when I can fit them and I pull them out, they will look so dated I will have to chuck them anyway! But I still want to do that only after I can fit them!I feel regret now that I wasted at least 10 years of my life like that. On the other hand, I feel better at having finally gotten a handle on what to do.
  • AshleyM71
    AshleyM71 Posts: 3,029 Member
    Options
    I actually believed that people wouldn't judge me by my weight. Sadly, now that I've lost weight, I see plainly that people treat you much better when you are slender.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I was a pretty heavy kid. I used to convince myself that I wasn't REALLY all that big; each of my breasts had to weigh 10-15 pounds,
    I can empathize - I though my **** was 10-15 pounds until I put in on the scale and found out it was 20 pounds! What a pleasant surprise!