Eating out Mexican

Options
So I am going with my friends to eat Mexican today and I am a little nervous about food selections...
Please help with any advice what would be the best options for me..I have her fajitas without the tortilla, but would love some opinions.
Thank you thank you thank you

Replies

• jnoegrah
    jnoegrah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    mexican food... ftw! A weakness of mine!

If they have chicken, load up on the shredded lettuce, douse it in salsa and you'll be good. If you have to have a tortilla, cut it in half.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Grrrrrrr! I get so frustrated when my fam or friends choose mexican without consulting me. I never complian but wish they'd respect the fact that there is hardly anything I can eat on a classic mexican food menu. Some have a fish option. I am always relieved when this is the case. Otherwise I eat a bowl of tortilla soup, minus the cheese and tortilla strips, and then a side bowl of black beans with maybe 5-10 tortilla chips. Chicken fajitas without the tortilla are a filling option as well. Good luck!
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    #1 Rule of mine STAY AWAY FROM THE CHIP BASKET!!!!

Chicken Fajitas are good. (minus rice, beans, and shells)

My Mexican Restaurant has a dish called Pollo Diablo. It is chicken marinated in a spicy sauce, and served with a bunch of sauted vegetables.

Look on their vegetarian options, and add chicken to them.....

Chicken Fajita Salad with out the shell.....

Order up Ceviche tostadas.....

Gringo Salad with Ceviche or Chicken........

Another option is to order what ever you want, and box up half of it before you even eat it......

Good Luck!
  • browneyedmom
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You have given me some great tips that I haven't even thought of!! My problem is I always panic if I am not prepared and order what I think would be good only to find out it was NOT!!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    In the summer when I go to mexican I get two tacos without the meat but i have them had lots of lets some cheese onions and tomatoes crunch it up on my plate add some salsa its the perfect size
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating Mexican. I do it as often as possible.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    but i am scottish:angry:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    but i am scottish:angry:
    Can you say, "Es muy bueno papi!"?
    :laugh:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I love eating out Mexican. Latinas are my weakness.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast, have a light lunch, save up some calories for dinner.

No chips, don't eat the rice & bean sides.
    Watch the sour cream and guacamole.

Fajitas are a good choice: hard to go wrong with grilled meat & veggies.

Corn tortillas are generally smaller & less calories than flour tortillas. (careful some places use 2 tortillas for their tacos)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    :smokin:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Nnnggh.

....I...it's too easy. I'm too grown up for this. Too mature!

I'm a fan of Mexican sausage, but I prefer to indulge at home.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    You can eat a few corn tortillas and be alright, gawd! I make them fit my macros. :glasses:

Enjoy the food. If you want lean and their seafood is good, get camarones a la plancha (grilled shrimp). Mexican coctel de camarones is delish.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I imagine eating out is the same regardless of type.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast, have a light lunch, save up some calories for dinner.

No chips, don't eat the rice & bean sides.
    Watch the sour cream and guacamole.

Fajitas are a good choice: hard to go wrong with grilled meat & veggies.

Corn tortillas are generally smaller & less calories than flour tortillas. (careful some places use 2 tortillas for their tacos)

:noway: you just took the fun out of eating Mexican.

How's about go to On The Border and eat Whitexican?
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Fajita veggies/meat are typically cooked with a lot of oil, fyi! That's the "sizzling"! I'm not saying it's a bad choice, just know to add a decent amount of cooking oil when you track your meal. Personally, if I were going out for Mexican, I'd get something like grilled fish tacos. If I really want something more indulgent, I'll only eat half and/or skip an ingredient I don't need- for example, I can go without the rice on a burrito, but I'll be sad if it doesn't have a little cheese and sour cream so I'll splurge on those. Also naked burrito bowls like Chipotle has are great- if the restaurant doesn't have them, just order a burrito, crack it down the middle and eat the filling! Have a few bites of tortilla but leave at least half behind- big tortillas have 300-400 cal alone, ack!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

It varies from person to person.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

It varies from person to person.

SOUL MATE!!!

How YOU doin baby?
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I love taco salad and beef tacos. I've had these several times and still lost weight, they are not as calorie heavy as one might think.
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    #1 Rule of mine STAY AWAY FROM THE CHIP BASKET!!!!

Chicken Fajitas are good. (minus rice, beans, and shells)

My Mexican Restaurant has a dish called Pollo Diablo. It is chicken marinated in a spicy sauce, and served with a bunch of sauted vegetables.

Look on their vegetarian options, and add chicken to them.....

Chicken Fajita Salad with out the shell.....

Order up Ceviche tostadas.....

Gringo Salad with Ceviche or Chicken........

Another option is to order what ever you want, and box up half of it before you even eat it......

Good Luck!

These are all good options. When I eat Mexican I often get a chicken taco salad minus the sour cream, and don't eat the shell. There are lots of relatively low cal healthy things at a Mexican restaurant, salsa, chicken, fish, veggies, etc. you just have to combine them properly. Usually lots of grilled options. Guacamole is good for you in moderation, Just stay away from the rice, beans, taco shells (especially wheat ones, corn are not as bad), globs of sour cream and cheese, and of course anything fried. One very good thing about most Mexican restaurants is they will make pretty much any additions, subtractions, etc. to the dishes that you want. I almost always ask for extra veggies, no sour cream, etc. and I'm cheerfully accommodated. Especially at the local madre y padre places....