Can I just skip the exercise? Confused by another thread...

Options
I have been reading the thread in this category called "how to log 30 day shred" and people are saying stuff like it doesn't do any good really, too short, not strenuous enough, and if anyone is seeing results from it, it is from something else, not the workout (for instance starting a diet or something else related to starting the 30 day shred program). I had thought it was doing some good for me, but now I wonder if it is just wishful thinking.

I started the 30 day shred 2 and a half weeks ago, and I have lost an inch here and there, and thought I was starting to see a visible difference, like some muscles starting to peek out from underneath the flab. Everyone is saying that the workout isn't a big deal, won't do much, and probably the change in diet is doing it all, but my body seems to be shaping up, so what exactly is really happening?

My question is this: After doing the 30 day shred each day, I log it as circuit training for 174 calories. Then, because I have done the exercise, I have to force myself to eat the calories back - like I have to get some chocolate or something and just make myself eat the calories back - I am not hungry, don't want the food, but just grab some peanut butter on a rice cake or some chocolate and do it to make up the numbers.

I mean, if it is all just about creating a calorie deficit, I am wondering, is what everybody is saying is that, I could just skip the 30 day shred, skip the 150 cals of chocolate, and I would be doing just as well? I am starting to feel like an idiot hopping up and down in shoes I couldn't afford in the first place, if these exercise dvds are a waste of time. I have other things I could be doing with that time!

Or does anyone actually gotten concrete results specifically because of this workout? I am sure that there are people who are hardcore athletes and this workout is a joke, but I have been basically inactive/sedentary for years, and so now that I am doing this 4-5 times a week is actually a radical change for me and my body. With my job and school and little son, this type of workout is the only thing I can fit in - I cannot afford to go to a gym - I will never have a personal trainer - and I have too much work and school work to do to devote much more time than I already am per week, so I hope there is something positive about what I am doing. Should I keep going, or is it really a waste of time?

I am confused, and I wonder if this is why I never lose much weight. Please enlighten! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It's not a huge calorie burner, but people still get great results from it. When I did it, I was basically eating at maintenance and using calories burned during the workout as my only deficit. I felt like I looked much better and lost several inches at the end. Keep doing it, it's not useless.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    You can lose by having a moderate calorie deficit alone. So, if you don't want to worry about it you don't 'have' to. However, I prefer lots of exercise so I can eat lots of food and drink lots of beer. I was never a fan of tracking how many calories I burned, because it all seemed like such a vague estimate. 30DS isn't completely a waste of time. It's a good way to start getting into better shape. Any workout is beneficial for you. After you've mastered 30DS, you could get some more strenuous DVDs for a bigger calorie burn if you choose. Another good idea is getting some dumbells or kettlebells for strength training. Nothing has changed my shape more than lifting weights!!
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I do 30DS and have seen good results from it. It just depends if I eat cals back. If I was on a restrictive 1200 cal diet, then I would DEFINATLY eat them back. I have to eat 1500 a day to function however, so some days I will eat them back, some days I don't. Some days I'll just have eaten my 1500 and then if I do 30ds I'll allow myself to have a light beer that night or a slice of pumpkin bread I just made (that would be in addition to my 1500 cal). Just listen to your body if you feel okay then you may not need to eat back exercise cals, but if you feel like you have no energy for that day I would eat a little more. It's a great work out in combination to eating right. If you eat crap then of course it's not going to work as well, or if you don't do it consistently. It can also be used in addition with other exercise. A while back I did 30DS Monday Wednesday Friday and then did Couch to 5K (running) Tuesday Thursday and also saw great results with that. I would say 30DS is a great workout for people who have been inactive for a long time to get used to/conditioned to working out again.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I've done it 3 times and it definitely is helpful as far as maintaining lean muscle mass while you lose. There's nothing wrong with it as an exercise if you aren't looking at it as something to reshape your body and cause you to lose lots of weight. I certainly wouldn't be concerned about eating those 174 calories back.

You can make it more of a workout by using bigger weights, making sure to always do the harder version and really push yourself on every exercise. Get super deep into all the squats, do the push ups faster, make sure you really do kick yourself in the butt, etc. I've even doubled up and done it twice back to back on days I have time or do level 1 then level 2 for a 40 minute workout.

Of course, Jillian wants to sell lots of DVD's so she promotes all the fabulous things the program will do for you but notice it says "lose UP TO 20 lbs". That might happen if you weighed 300 lbs to start with, stuck to her "diet" and did the workout every day. It's not going to happen for the average person.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    No exercise is useless. I personally find 30DS to be a great workout, even if it is short and fairly simple. Keep it up.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Who told you the kind of shoes you wear and their price will determine the body you have? You need to workout with socks.. that is where the big calorie burn comes in.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    The challenge I have seen with new folk (especially) is that they are somehow convinced that they absolutely can't lose weight if they don't become gym rats. This leads invariably to the thought that they don't have time to work out and these two thoughts together sabotage most people before they even start.

First off, you absolutely do NOT have to do anything to lose weight except eat at a deficit - especially when you have a lot of weight to lose. In many respects we who have started off over 200 lbs have it easy because you would really have to work to NOT lose weight when you're that big..For me just cutting out my 4 extra large coffee (with 4 cream + 2 sugar) was enough to get the scale moving in the right direction.. Have one less serving of meals, cut back on the treats..so easy. The problem happens when your brain starts getting involved in the process and convinces you that you have to do everything all at once..throw out all the bad food, immediately join a gym, eat clean, cut carbs, lift heavy, don't eat over 1200 calories.. It's not so complicated at all.

Diet is for weight loss, exercise is for health.. Start small, take baby steps, get your diet under control FIRST. Many people do both because they have a definite body shape that they wish to achieve which you won't get with just diet - unless you have a lot of muscle definition hiding under your fat which is highly unlikely if you have never been a big exerciser. Some people such as myself opted to lose some weight before starting to get more active - my first 30 lbs were diet alone and I have JUST now started to do weights. I've never done the cardio videos and never will because I hate those things with a passion - doesn't seem to have affected my ability to lose weight one iota ;)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Who cares if it works for other people?! It seems like it's working for you - and that's what counts.

Yes,weight loss is all about eating at a deficit and you don't really "need" to exercise. But the exercise piece is more about fitness, and can certainly help with weight loss.

You mentioned that you were basically sedentary before and the 30-day shred was a huge step for you. Than I say - go for it! I started my journey using Wii Tennis. Now I can't get my heart rate up enough for it to of any real use as far as burning calories, but it still gets me up and moving and it's better than sitting on the couch (and it's just plain fun!).

You gotta find what works for you.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not a waste of time, you may not see amazing results but it is still good for you and your body to get moving. It is also a good place to start of you have been inactive for a while before moving on to harder programs. It also depends on how much weight you have to lose before you see results but those muscles are still there it just takes time to get the fat off to get the muscles to show through. This program is not going to get you ripped but as I said it is a good starting point.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you're only interested in weight loss, and you don't want to eat the extra food, then by all means forget exercise. It's not necessary to lose weight.

However, exercise has a ton of other benefits including (but not limited to) improving your cardiovascular fitness, improving your endurance, making you stronger, improving your mood, increasing confidence, helping you to retain lean mass as you lose weight (ie muscle and bone density, both very important), and following on from that, helping you achieve a more athletic, "toned" look.

As for 30DS - I tried it, hated it. Tried it again a few months later and hated it, so I don't do it. I do other things instead, like run, lift weights and yoga. If you like it though, then why not do it? You're seeing results, so who cares what anyone else says? If you want different results, then you can listen to other people's advice and try something differently (eg. 30DS isn't strength training, so if you wanted strength training, you could try something different.) But, if you enjoy it and you like the results, there's no point stopping because someone else said you won't get results.
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Who told you the kind of shoes you wear and their price will determine the body you have? You need to workout with socks.. that is where the big calorie burn comes in.

hehe I sure HOPE my shoes and their price won't determine the kind of body I have! I have been unemployed for 3 years and flat broke, and though the shoes I got were the cheapest ones I could find at Bilka (a Wal-mart-type place that they have over here in Denmark), they were still above my budget of $0. :laugh:
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You're correct. If you eat back all your exercise calories, exercise becomes pointless, from a weight-loss standpoint.

Not to mention the fact that if you overestimate your caloric burn during your workout, you will actually be WORSE off than if you didn't exercise at all.
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    80% of results is what you eat....20% helps you look better then Diet alone
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the encouragement - I was looking for excuses to continue - I have started to kind of like the exercise, though of course I am glad when it is done each day! One of the reasons I am exercising in addition to losing weight is that I want to be healthy for my 3 year old son. The reality is that I was very fit in my youth (from about 4th grade until freshman year in college I had 6 pack abs due to ballet), so my muscles feel like "hey, I remember this." Also, I only have 30 lbs to lose - I think that is why this is so tough - nothing seems to work ( in Jan - March of this year, I was doing 45 - 90 minutes of sweaty panting Samba dancing 5 times a week for 7 weeks, and didn't lose a pound or an inch!), and it takes so much dedication to do this stuff. LIke, I think I almost have to BELIEVE that my body can change for me to continue, so I am scared I am doing the wrong things... but I have more energy, and I sort of "feel better" about myself now that I am exercising. Also I usually suffer from depression and anxiety, and I realized a few days ago that, for the first time since I could remember, I was not depressed! And I think it's because the exercise has improved my mood.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Wight loss is about calories period. I lost my weight without any exercise (I'm in maintenance now and walk for the health beneftis/enjoy doing it). If you like doing these work out videos then go for it, but they'll be more for the potential health benefits and not so much weight loss.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    You're correct. If you eat back all your exercise calories, exercise becomes pointless, from a weight-loss standpoint.

Not to mention the fact that if you overestimate your caloric burn during your workout, you will actually be WORSE off than if you didn't exercise at all.

wrong.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I looked fantastic after 30 Day Shred. It's a nice mix of cardio and light weights. I didn't end up weighing much less at the end of it, though.
  • bethannien
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the encouragement - I was looking for excuses to continue - I have started to kind of like the exercise, though of course I am glad when it is done each day! One of the reasons I am exercising in addition to losing weight is that I want to be healthy for my 3 year old son. The reality is that I was very fit in my youth (from about 4th grade until freshman year in college I had 6 pack abs due to ballet), so my muscles feel like "hey, I remember this." Also, I only have 30 lbs to lose - I think that is why this is so tough - nothing seems to work ( in Jan - March of this year, I was doing 45 - 90 minutes of sweaty panting Samba dancing 5 times a week for 7 weeks, and didn't lose a pound or an inch!), and it takes so much dedication to do this stuff. LIke, I think I almost have to BELIEVE that my body can change for me to continue, so I am scared I am doing the wrong things... but I have more energy, and I sort of "feel better" about myself now that I am exercising. Also I usually suffer from depression and anxiety, and I realized a few days ago that, for the first time since I could remember, I was not depressed! And I think it's because the exercise has improved my mood.
    :flowerforyou:

Exercise has many benefits beyond weight loss. Sure, you can lose weight without it. But the whole point of all of this is to get healthier. I'm glad exercise has helped your moods! It has done the same for me :happy:
  • bethannien
    Options

wrong.

my thoughts exactly
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    What I never can comprehend is people that say they exercise because it gives them more calories to eat. Exercise makes me FAMISHED for 5 times the calories it burns!

Eating less is all you need to lose weight.
    Exercise strengthens your heart, lungs, bones, muscles, improves health, sculpts the body (So we don't just go from fat blob to skinny blob), it also improves our mental state, can help fight depression, make us feel like a beast, gives us confidence in a Zombie Apocalypse, and causes people to say, "wow, you can lift all that?? I can barely lift my trash bag up into the dumpster!"