Getting through the Cold weather Blues

Options
If anyone else suffers from this you are not alone. All I want to do is curl up on the couch with a blanket and a snack. Getting motivated when I am cold is tough. I am trying to stay focused and do something to elevate my heart rate even a little bit to get me in the frame of mind to keep moving before I give in to sitting down on the couch. So far this has been helping me.:happy:

Replies

• WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Where are you from?

I live in Nebraska and things are crazy here at the moment. Snow and tornados in one day! I grew up in Florida and I don't think my blood ever "thickened" up. I can't stand the cold. Ever. I think the hardest part for me is the lack of sunshine in the winter months. The cold months seem to last so much longer than the warmer months. Each year is so unpredictable. 4 years ago we had our first snow fall at the end of sept and ended up 90+ days with snow on the ground. Last year it was mild with only 2 snowstorms. I have a Y membership and they have open swim at the pool so I plan to use that as often as possible with my kids through the winter.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I find it a little easier to stay on track in the winter, actually. Outside of Christmas, there's less socializing and more time can be spent in the gym with fewer distractions.
  • kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Vanessa, you hit the nail on the head. "I think the hardest part for me is the lack of sunshine in the winter months."

I live in Michigan and it is not easy to stay motivated when it is dark when I start work and almost dark when I finish. I have plenty of DVDs and since this is will be the first winter I have worked 4 days at home, I'm hoping that will make me want to get out of the house for some activity.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I get it too. I just don't handle cold well. Even the cold air just makes me want to curl up under a blanket and stay there until April. I hate the dry air drying out my nose and throat, I hate my skin feeling cold to the touch. I hate all of it. :(
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I love the good weather, naturally, but I don't mind working out in the winter-it warms me up!
    Also my husband and I bundle up and go for long walks on the weekend. It cheers us up to get outdoors and moving, then when we get home, there's hot chocolate or soup.
    Try to get as much sun as possible and take vitamin D3 everyday.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I use a light box for seasonal depression. Worth it. I get SAD every year it gives me that jolt i need to get going when the days are dark and dreary. Don't need it yet we still.have.sunny..thank goodness. That.combined.with.exercise.helps.me get thru the winter.