Treadmill vs. Elliptical

Options
In your opinion, which one gives a better cardio workout?

Replies

• happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    As you say...it's just an opinion, but I would say treadmill for sure!!

Simply because I could go on the elliptical for hours, and yes, burn a lot of calories - but endurance wise, I'd be fine.

The treadmill, I would be knackered after a 40 minute stint!! So it feels like a much more taxing workout.

Although both are excellent - and if you can mix it up (30 mins on each?) then you'd have the ultimate workout! :happy:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The Treadmill have the potential to burn more calories but is higher impact, the Elliptical is doing a lot of the work for you, I burn more cals on the treadmill
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    treadmill by far, running/jogging is one of the best exercises for a calorie burn. Skipping is a very good cardio workout as well.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I use both every day. I can go forever on the elliptical, so I do 30-60 minutes of 7-8 mpg running on it. I walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes at lunch a few days a week at 3.7 mph and a 15% incline. The calories burnt per hour are similar.
  • Amazing007
    Options
    They both have their benefits. For me the Elliptical can be too repetitive sometimes, so I hop on the treadmill. The Treadmill can be customized based on what you feel like doing (walking, running, inclines, etc.) But when you feel like giving your knees a break the Elliptical is awesome!