It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle.....

Options
JustJennie13
JustJennie13 Posts: 218
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I am just going to put this out there and hope that it helps even just one person! Like everyone else when I first started this lifestyle I jumped in with 2 feet and 1 goal to be "skinny". At the time I was 5'9" and 187 pounds. I carried a notebook and limited myself to 1200 calories a day. I could not do any sort of physical activity at the time due to a knee injury. In four months I went from 187 pounds to 149. I was beyond excited!!!! I just KNEW that I looked good! What I didn't take into consideration is that I have a large bone frame and I am tall.... So when I was just waiting for the compliments to come pouring in my loved ones actually became concerned. I think the comment that really drove it home was Damn Jennie, you should go eat a sandwich or something. I was released to start excercising again after my knee surgery. I was in the WORST shape of my life. I was a skinny fat girl. I had absolutely no endurance. So, such as life goes I went back to a "normal diet" I continued to watch what I ate but didn't limit myself so strictly and of course the numbers on the scale slowly increased while my self-esteem decreased. When you start on this road to a healthier YOU please do some research! Take into account how YOU are built and what YOU need to be healthy. What you do has to be something you can MAINTAIN!!!!! Something you can LIVE with.

http://weighing-success.com/NutritionalNeeds.html

Here is one site that will give you a road map for YOU. When you use something like this it is important to remember to re-evaluate your numbers as the numbers on the scale change. Here is what I started with to give you an example.

Starting Stats:
5'9" (69 in) weight 180 lbs (81 kg)
BMI: 27
Body Fat: 22%
To be HEALTHY!!!! NO LESS than 1420 calories
To lose weight moderately 1704 calories a day
20% Protein 85 grams = 341 calories
55% Carbohydrates 234 grams = 937 calories
25% Fat 47 grams = 426 calories

After a 10 pound loss:
To be HEALTHY!! NO LESS than 1330 a day
To lose weight moderately 1596 calories a day
20% Protein 80 grams = 319 calories
55% Carbohydrates 220 grams = 878 calories
25% Fat 44 grams = 399 calories

I am not an expert or a genius. The above site was given to me by my doctor when I jumped back on my lifestyle wagon and cut my calories too quickly which caused issues with stomach acid. My motto has become "Skinny girls look good in clothes, fit girls look good naked" I wish the best for everyone on this journey. If you have found that something works better for YOU that goes against what is said here, GREAT! I am happy for you. If you disagree you are entitled to your opinion. My only goal is to be HEALTHY and if I can help just ONE person along the way than I am HAPPY!

Replies

• Rastamann
    Rastamann Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for reading :happy:
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Mine is telling me I need less than 1200 to lose.

I knew this, but again, blows the theory no one needs to eat less than 1200 calories!
  • kkerri
    Options
    Congrats on your success though!
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    Thanks... maybe I need to read more about the no less than 1200 theory? "They" have always said that it is unhealthy....
  • AlysonM
    AlysonM Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this... :happy:
  • kkerri
    Options
    You may workout a lot - that obviously ups it some.

I lose fine on 1200 calories and don't feel deprived or unhealthy as long as I am making good choices. Well, I am mentally deprived, but physically fine.
  • kkerri
    Options
    It does have the 1200 calorie disclaimer that no woman should go below that. However, it also says that I should eat 1188 calories ;-)

I don't care. I am sort of over the quest for a perfect body and have no real desire to count calories that strictly. I want to fit in my clothes, not look horrid, and be done with it.
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    John Foreyt, Ph.D., director of the Nutrition Research Center at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston and an expert on weight management says...

4. what is the lowest, yet still safe, calorie level I can drop to when I'm trying to lose weight?

"Women should not consume less than 1,200 calories a day. In fact, a diet below 1,000 calories a day (called a very low-calorie diet or VLCD) increases your risk for gallstones and heart problems and should be followed only by obese people under a doctor's supervision. While you can drop to 1,200 calories per day and survive, doing so is not a smart idea. Going for a bare-minimum caloric intake may yield quick results, but it also can leave you listless and unable to exercise (key to keeping the pounds off), and may lead to muscle loss and a slowing of your metabolism. Even if you're careful about what you eat, a daily intake of 1,200 calories can shortchange you on important nutrients such as calcium and folate.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    My family and friends consider me skinny AND fit. (I have very small bone structure) And it begins as a "diet"-I mean lets face it-if you are restricting your calories and eating at a deficit-its a diet (don't know why so many people fear the word. However, if you learn portion control and healthy habits along the way, it hopefully becomes a lifestyle.

good luck to you.
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    Yes, I do work out often. My goal is 5 days a week and I also ride my bicycle to work which is 2 miles 1 way. I run and swim. I am just now starting to lift. I am over the perfect body quest myself. I will never be hollywood skinny.... I am built more to be farm girl fabulous! :wink: My goal now is to be healthy. If I lose weight that is just an added bonus.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    John Foreyt, Ph.D., director of the Nutrition Research Center at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston and an expert on weight management says...

4. what is the lowest, yet still safe, calorie level I can drop to when I'm trying to lose weight?

"Women should not consume less than 1,200 calories a day. In fact, a diet below 1,000 calories a day (called a very low-calorie diet or VLCD) increases your risk for gallstones and heart problems and should be followed only by obese people under a doctor's supervision. While you can drop to 1,200 calories per day and survive, doing so is not a smart idea. Going for a bare-minimum caloric intake may yield quick results, but it also can leave you listless and unable to exercise (key to keeping the pounds off), and may lead to muscle loss and a slowing of your metabolism. Even if you're careful about what you eat, a daily intake of 1,200 calories can shortchange you on important nutrients such as calcium and folate.

this is all very Black & White- everyone's TDEE is different based on height and weight-one rule doesn't work for all.
  • HBombaMama
    HBombaMama Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You helped this person today! Feel good about that and thanks! :) I love your motto. Can I steal it?!! jk
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    My family and friends consider me skinny AND fit. (I have very small bone structure) And it begins as a "diet"-I mean lets face it-if you are restricting your calories and eating at a deficit-its a diet (don't know why so many people fear the word. However, if you learn portion control and healthy habits along the way, it hopefully becomes a lifestyle.

good luck to you.

Thank You! As you mentioned the same doesn't work for every one. There are some of us who are not blessed with small frames. Who are not built to meet society's standards of thin. Some of us still strive for this even if it is not healthy considering our frame. Congrats on finding what works for you!
  • kkerri
    Options
    LOL @ farm girl fabulous!

:-)
  • kkerri
    Options
    I agree, people strive for things that their frames won't support.

Sadly, I do have a smaller frame and have been very thin, but I just don't really care to be a size 2 anymore. It's too much work and I have bigger fish to fry.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    thank you. I just checked out the link, saving it. It said what I already new in my heart and I upped my calories for each day by 100 this week.
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    Thanks for this... :happy:

You're Welcome! Good luck!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Such a great website!!!!