Freaking out over binge....

Options
I always read these kinds of posts and think they're an over reaction...yet here I am....

I just MAJORLY binged on chocolate...Like, two huge spoonfuls of Nutella, 10 Charles de Bruge squares of chocolate, 5 Milka squares and a bit of Lindt.... I start and I just can't stop! And this is how I gained all the weight last time! I tried the whole, 1 square every once in a while, but once I start I just can't stop!!!

I've been trying so hard not to be an emotional eater, but I'm an aupair and one of the kids was a total jerk to me all day...and I just snapped and turned to food. I don't want this to become a habit, I have this job for the rest of the year. Ugh what do I do?!?!

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Um, take a deep breath. Now take another one. And another. Better now?

It happens. Just log it and move on. You can't undo it. You can choose what you do from this point forward. So worry about that. Work on finding ways to alleviate stress and anxiety that don't involve food. Can you go for a walk (not sure how au pairing works and whether you can leave the house or not)? Listen to music maybe? Or remind yourself that the bratty kid is just that-a bratty kid and he's not worth it?

Forget the binge that happened. Worry about what you do going forward. Work on finding non-food ways to deal with stress, because it sounds like you'll need it.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Stop villainizing the chocolate, and yourself.

It was one day. Enjoy the sweet savor of the chocolate while remembering that you do have the willpower to say no most of the times, so it's not a big deal when you say yes a few times here and there.

These things often threaten to get wildly out of control because you:

A. Take them WAY too seriously
    B. Magnify the problem by steeping it in fear

Drop the fear, drop the guilt, it's JUST chocolate, and move on in the assurance that you're still strong, still capable, and still on track. The worst approach to dealing with emotional eating is continuing to think of your food decisions emotionally.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    exactly what the other posters have said, plus if you find that you can't control yourself with chocolate yet then keep chocolate out of the house until having some doesn't make you keep going back for more. It does get easier.
  • sarahnc_
    sarahnc_ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm already feeling better about it- it's one binge and it's just some chocolate. Life goes on, I'll go on my usual run tomorrow and destress and forget about it.

I figure, this time, in a way it was how I coped with a bad day. Next time, I will know what to expect and will find a better way to cope with the stress. I live with the family I work for so I have no control over what food they keep in the house- I guess it just means my will power will have to be that much stronger.
  • mokoko123
    mokoko123 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The key is to get over it & move on - it happens. I did it about a week ago (no chocolate, but plenty of other bad stuff) and the next day was up 5 lbs - three days later I was down 6 lbs. Try to figure out what triggers you and find other ways to cope. No use in giving up totally over one bad day
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I usually TRY to give myself a binge day. You know, just to get it all out of the way.

I do this if I'm craving something, because if I eat enough of it to make me regret it, I typically won't crave it again for awhile!

Sometimes it's good to just get it all out. :flowerforyou:
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If you are like me, that chocolate is your medication for stress.

Seems like when the ultimate stress comes, I head for a cupcake with thick icing.

Its either that or Prozac.. so...

i guess just enjoy the chocolate and move on the next day.. log in the calories!

You could try to find another stress reliever - like a jacuzzi.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I do what the above poster said as well. Once every two weeks or so I'll allow myself a 1000-1500 calorie chocolate 'binge' and I'm usually so over chocolate when I'm done with it that I dont crave it again for a couple of weeks haha. Chocolate is the only thing I care to cheat with. Pizza, fries, fried greasy food just doesnt do it for me, but when theres chocolate around WATCH OUT
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    {Hugs}. Yes,kids will push you over the edge sometimes.
    I have learned today that we make several thousand food decisions a week, so really, a couple of bad ones will not undo your success. As long as you are getting up, dusting yourself off and moving on into the right direction. You have been working so hard on your goals, having worked out and journaled faithfully, I bet you have come a long way from when you have started. We all slip sometimes and emotional eating is so hard to conquer. I think most of us have been there and struggle with it. We learn as we take this journey. You are aware of the danger and the consequences that stress can have on you and it will give you the opportunity to develop a new strategy to cope with this stress; it may take a while and a lot of trial and error and practice, but you will get there.