Beginning to exercise after an eating disorder

Options
smo520
smo520 Posts: 2 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi! Sorry if this is not the right section - I'm just looking for some "getting started" advice.

I am 145lbs, 21 years old. I was my fittest in middle school - about 7 years ago during cross country. I didn't exercise at all during highschool however, or the last three years of college. To make matters worse, I developed some disordered eating two years ago and lost a ton of weight (about 40lbs) - the unhealthy way. During that time I lost most, if not all, muscle. I am thinner now but I my limbs are like cooked noodles.

I'm trying to get back into shape now. I keep track of everything that I eat (calories) and try to stay between 1200 and 1800 a day. I don't deny myself anything (like carbs, sugars, alcohol) but I definitely practice moderation. I've been working out for atleast 45 minutes a day doing mostly cardio (elliptical, walking on the treadmill) and am not seeing any weight loss results. I do however feel stronger (which counts for a lot in my book, considering I'm trying to rebuild muscle).

I guess my question is - what approach should I take now that I'm trying to get into shape? How much should I eat? What should I avoid? What workouts should I focus on? I was never really a workout expert to begin with and now I'm even more confused.

Replies

• Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Well, if your goal is to rebuild muscle and/or strength then weight lifting should be the foundation of your workout regimen, not cardio. In addition, I highly doubt that 1200 calories will adequately fuel your workouts. So, i'd eat a minimum of 1500 (rest days) and maybe 1800-2000 on workout days. Your ticker says you'd like to lose 19 pounds--1/2 pound a week is an excellent rate of weight loss and won't cause your body to catabolize its muscle tissue for energy.
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi! Sorry if this is not the right section - I'm just looking for some "getting started" advice.

I am 145lbs, 21 years old. I was my fittest in middle school - about 7 years ago during cross country. I didn't exercise at all during highschool however, or the last three years of college. To make matters worse, I developed some disordered eating two years ago and lost a ton of weight (about 40lbs) - the unhealthy way. During that time I lost most, if not all, muscle. I am thinner now but I my limbs are like cooked noodles.

I'm trying to get back into shape now. I keep track of everything that I eat (calories) and try to stay between 1200 and 1800 a day. I don't deny myself anything (like carbs, sugars, alcohol) but I definitely practice moderation. I've been working out for atleast 45 minutes a day doing mostly cardio (elliptical, walking on the treadmill) and am not seeing any weight loss results. I do however feel stronger (which counts for a lot in my book, considering I'm trying to rebuild muscle).

I guess my question is - what approach should I take now that I'm trying to get into shape? How much should I eat? What should I avoid? What workouts should I focus on? I was never really a workout expert to begin with and now I'm even more confused.

Do you eat back your exercise calories? If not, start doing that. It is most likely the case that you're not eating enough

Alternatively, work out your TDEE (Scooby's workshop seems to be the most popular) by filling in some questions and adding your weekly activity level. If you want to maintain your weight, eat at your TDEE. This will seem difficult at first, but soon you'll be filling your body and mind with nutrients and energy. You'll feel awake and healthy, something that just doesn't happen with an eating disorder

To get in shape, make sure you're fuelling your body properly. Adequate calories will give you energy to do any cardio and strength training you like, but if you're focusing on strength, I would prioritise strength training

Also, if you're in ED recovery ('after' implies that you're totally recovered), why are you wanting to lose 19lbs? Have you spoken to a doctor?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    How long have you been maintaining your recovery weight of 145 lbs? There isn't really anything you ought to avoid but a fitness program post-recovery should not be focused on cardio and fat loss. Instead, your priority ought to be a combination of continuing to eat (at minimum) the maximum amount of calories to maintain this weight and recovering the lean mass you lost through your ED with progressive resistance training. Check out the book, Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It's one of the most valuable and highly recommended guides out there whose author explains things in an academic yet easily understandable manner.
  • Isshman809
    Options
    Hello,

I wanted to first say congratulations for helping yourself. If you suffered from an eating disorder, either anorexia or bulimia there is much more here than simply trying to gain healthy weight and muscle. There are some great program to help with healthy weight gain and muscle gain. I am thrilled to see your hard work to get to where you feel healthy is. I would encourage a few things. First, get connected with a nutritionist. Second, please talk to someone trained to help with anorexia or bulimia. Insurance should pay for this.

I wish you the BEST and success !

Rodney Mulhollem. MA
    Psychotherapist
This discussion has been closed.