Raw or Cooked Meat Weights?

Options
I am new, as of today. I am not sure if the weights listed for meat in the food table are for raw or cooked portions. Can anyone tell me the answer? Thanks so much!

Replies

• gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    try to find an entry that specifies which it is and then use this :-)
  • catherinesmith9277
    Options
    I'm never sure either - I also wasn't sure about things like rice and pasta, but I've decided that the amounts must be cooked weight, so that's what I measure. I'm new on here too, just one week so far and first weigh-in tomorrow. I'm just a little older than you and based in France. I'd like to find a friend to share the journey to a healthier weight and to give mutual support and motivation. Would you like to 'friend 'me?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, it's supposed to be raw, unless the entry specifies cooked. I use a 'dark meat, cooked, without skin' entry (you can find it I'm sure), remove all the meat from the bones and just weigh that.
  • Xtinesky
    Xtinesky Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, meat is assumed to be raw.

And Catherine is right, rice and pasta are usually measured in the cooked form. Popcorn is the same, usually measured in cups as cooked.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

And Catherine is right, rice and pasta are usually measured in the cooked form. Popcorn is the same, usually measured in cups as cooked.

Wrong, rice and pasta are for dry. Typically for 2oz (56g).
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I weigh my meat after it is cooked
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Wrong, rice and pasta are for dry. Typically for 2oz (56g).

This...mind you it becomes hard when you are cooking for your family esp when it's boys....if I am cooking I weigh the food raw/uncooked...

If I am not I use the "cooked" calories.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I use the USDA values for COOKED meat. The only time I ever weighed something raw is ground meat/or bulk for an entire recipe.

I cook up 1-2 packs of chicken breast at a time and most come 2-4 pieces per pack (HUGE pieces) and I can't weigh them all before and keep track of which piece weighed what and I never eat the whole piece anyhow (it's easily 2-3 servings) so I use USDA cooked.

I measure in DRY weights for pasta/rice/oatmeal.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Look for an entry that specifies but generally meat is weighed raw for accuracy because cooked weight will depend too much on the cooking method used. Most often pasta and rice is the dry weight. Check against the packaging it came in to be sure you're picking the right thing. Same reason, the water absorption will be different depending on how you cook it.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I am new, as of today. I am not sure if the weights listed for meat in the food table are for raw or cooked portions. Can anyone tell me the answer? Thanks so much!
    Million Dollar Question!! I have asked so many times over the last 30 Years. No one seems to have a definitive answer! Sorry I have not read all of the answers on this question on here. I bet you get an even for cooked/raw.
    I always liked the answer my mom gave me (umpteen years ago) "Well, do you eat it raw/" Uhh, If it is chicken, NO, if it is carrots, Maybe? still no real determination as to the answer. Good luck and let me know! :noway:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you look for the data entries without the asterisk, it's data from the USDA. For meat there are usually raw and cooked options, including cooking variations.

Also 2oz of dry spaghetti is approximately 1 cup cooked.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    [

Maybe? still no real determination as to the answer. Good luck and let me know! :noway:

Uh yeah, you go by what it says. If it says 3 oz chicken breast, cooked, then it would be cooked. If it doesn't specify cooked, then it's raw. The standard is and always has been calories by raw weight but when you build a database like MFP has that allows user entries then you could be getting anything so it's better to stick to the ones that have no asterisk (non user entry) or read your packaging.

Also if you take 3 oz of raw chicken breast and cook it then weigh it, the weight will be significantly less due to water evaporation. If you use the raw calorie count and the cooked weight you can be significantly over eating. Another reason why it's a good idea to leave some leeway in your calorie budget.
  • Mac1954
    Mac1954 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I think I am safest to go with a raw weight, unless it specifies cooked. I search pasta under "cooked" and that seems to work ok. Should all work out in the end. My bigger issue is staying away from sugar!!! If I could be consistent with that, I know I would see great results!!