Who else has hypothyroid?

Options
What is your TSH number? How has this affected your weight?

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    TSH when dealing with thryoid issues means nothing..................

The symptoms that a person is having is what tells the tale.

You should visit the Stop the thyroid madness website.

My TSH is currently 1.96 and I still have severe hypothyroid symptoms and I am on 60mg of Armour Dessicated Thyroid.
  • sexylonglegs
    Options
    what is TSH?
  • micah2009
    micah2009 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it around a year ago.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    what is TSH?

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone
  • sexylonglegs
    Options
    Oh, I have no idea what my number is. I've been on meds for about 4 years now.
  • fowlmeli1093
    Options
    I have been combating my thryroid for years. It was overactive, then I underwent two radation treatments...then it went L-O-W-...My numbers got to 13..which means..the higher..the lower they thryroid is. I have been uping my dose of levothyroxine so I am at 175mcg. My levels are finally "normal" whatever that means. Not fun...when my numbers were at 13, it was too easy to gain weight. But at the same time, I still lost weight when I was low when I tried to.
  • sziemba1
    sziemba1 Posts: 34
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism becasue when I was 28 I had my thyroid gland completely removed due to cancer. I am now 62 years old and living a very healthy life in Florida. I am and will be taking synthroid for the rest of my life. For years I was overweight -- grossly overweight. This past April I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes which rather surprised me as diabetes does not run in our family line on either side of the family tree. The doctor and I agreed that the pre-diabetic condition was weight induced and I had better lose some weight. If I cross over to being diabetic it is much harder to gain control. So at the beginning of May I went on a diet. My goal was to lose 56 pounds. The doctor restricted me to 1800 calories a day and 100 carbs a day. I have been using this web site to track my carb, calories, fat, and protein daily intake and to track exercise. In 12 weeks I lost 45 pounds and I feel great. I have found that my thyroid was not the fault of me being fat -- I was. My current diet basically is avoiding flour, sugar, potatoes, and rice. Key word is avoid -- because occassionally I do have a slice of bread, or some rice, or a potato -- but very rarely are these things eaten. My plate is 75% non-starch vegetables and 25% lean protein items such as chicken breasts, fish, or lean red meats. It is not an exciting diet but it is getting me to my goal fast and the fact that I do not have a thyroid is not an issue. One note -- if you are losing weight (or even gaining weight) you need your doctor to recheck your thyroid hormone levels frequently as weight gain/loss plays havoc on your hormone levels. I have mine checked every 6 weeks to adjust my synthroid dosage. I have been losing weight so fas that every 6 weeks I have had to lower the dosage. Hope this helps.
  • RachSuzanne
    RachSuzanne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm Hypo. We are currently in a stage of regulating. Last checked my TSH was about 5.8, so we are slowly getting closer. I feel pretty good, but I still have dry patches of skin and could sleep 15 hours/night if society would let me.

My thyoid has had a significant effect on my weight. For the full story see my profile. Anyhow, it's coming off relatively easily now that I'm on Synthroid and have this wonderful site to help me track my eating habits.

Things are getting better.

Speaking of getting better.......It's nearly time for me to go to the gym!!!!
  • fowlmeli1093
    Options
    I totally agree! If you are losing weight, get your thyroid checked frequently as many medications are based on weight!I have lost about 345 lbs, and noticed that my levels did change a bit! My thyroid was very very low once, 13 points!