Why am I so lethargic?

Options
I've been doing really well with my diet and exercise lately, and I've been sleeping fairly restfully for 7-8 hours a night. So WHY have I been so lethargic for the past few days? And what can I do to push through this? Any ideas?

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Are you in an area where there is a excessive heat advisory???
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    There was yesterday and the day before, but it's beautiful today. And, I've been inside pretty much all the time because of the weather. We don't have a very functional A/C right now, but it's not been getting above 88 in the house, really.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough iron in your diet? I know when my iron is low, all I want to do is sleep.
  • oonafey
    oonafey Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I live in St. Louis, where it's been pushing 100 degree for the past two weeks. The heat and humidity have definitely affected my energy level.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I get that way too. I did have a blood workup and it was normal. I'm guessing mine is stress & sometimes heat?? Also, taking a Super B Complex really helps with energy!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Burning fat is hard work! I've found that I need 9-10 hours sleep some nights, then find I've lost 1to 2 pounds the next few days and feel great.
  • JensLogin
    Options
    Hi there!

Not sure what you are eating in your diet. Even though you may be making overall good choices, perhaps your diet is not balanced enough. For instance, are you getting the adequate amount of proteins, healthy fats, complex carbs, etc. Even though you might be eating better, you may not have the right balance. At least for myself, if I don't get enough protein, I can get a bit tired.

One other thought. Are you exercising regularly? I find that if I don't exercise on a regular basis I do not have as much energy.

Hang in there, I'm sure you will figure it out!
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest more protein as well! Also, try a B-Complex vitamin!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am wierd or something, but I find myself getting lethargic when I eat wheat products. Doesn't matter if it is whole grain or processed. I have a sandwich at lunch and an hour later I am napping.

B complex helps for general energy and I take an iron tablet once a week.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I've been trying really hard lately to maintain a diet balanced with the right amounts of healthy fats, carbs, and protein. I do struggle to get enough protein, but I have been doing fairly well lately.

As far as exercising goes, I work out at least a little bit every day. I do high intensity workouts about 3-4 days a week, and I just walk or do some light pilates on the other days.

The suggestion that makes the most sense for me is having low iron. I've always had trouble with my iron count, which I know because I go about every 8 weeks to donate blood and can't give about 1/2 the time.

Any recommendations on keeping your iron level up? I feel like I eat plenty of iron rich veggies, but it doesn't seem to help.

BTW- MzBug, have you been checked for having a wheat/gluten allergy?
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I live in St. Louis, where it's been pushing 100 degree for the past two weeks. The heat and humidity have definitely affected my energy level.

I live in Belleville, IL and work at AB in St Louis!!

That is why I asked about the heat!!! We have been really feeling it and it is getting ready to come back for another round.............
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Maybe I am wierd or something, but I find myself getting lethargic when I eat wheat products. Doesn't matter if it is whole grain or processed. I have a sandwich at lunch and an hour later I am napping.

B complex helps for general energy and I take an iron tablet once a week.

There are a LOT of people that are like you in that regard. It is a grain intolerance. I gave up grains and my energy has went way up compared to what it was.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options

According to the doc I don't have an allergy, but a sensitivity. 7 years ago I went on a pretty restrictive diet that had no wheat, dairy or processed sugar. I lost weight, kept it off for 5 years and then gained it back. Prior to that diet I never had any problems with wheat or dairy. The last 3 years that I have lived with my boyfriend I have been buying (and eatting) more wheat and dairy products. I have gotten out of the habit of buying oat and rye products as well as the rice and soy "milk" products. It seems that when you go for long periods of time without some specific foods in your diet you will have issues adding them back in. Such is my luck. Wheat makes me lethargic if I eat too much, and have a gas and bloating issue if I eat too much dairy. I can eat them, just in small quantities.

As far as the iron goes, you can only eat so much spinach and broccoli! lol Get one of the slow release iron tablets and take it at night (less stomach upset).

Good Luck!
  • July24Lioness
    Options

According to the doc I don't have an allergy, but a sensitivity. 7 years ago I went on a pretty restrictive diet that had no wheat, dairy or processed sugar. I lost weight, kept it off for 5 years and then gained it back. Prior to that diet I never had any problems with wheat or dairy. The last 3 years that I have lived with my boyfriend I have been buying (and eatting) more wheat and dairy products. I have gotten out of the habit of buying oat and rye products as well as the rice and soy "milk" products. It seems that when you go for long periods of time without some specific foods in your diet you will have issues adding them back in. Such is my luck. Wheat makes me lethargic if I eat too much, and have a gas and bloating issue if I eat too much dairy. I can eat them, just in small quantities.

As far as the iron goes, you can only eat so much spinach and broccoli! lol Get one of the slow release iron tablets and take it at night (less stomach upset).

Good Luck!

Actually, according to my doctor, if you take something out of your eating plan for a while (9 months) and then slowly add it back in - if there are no allergies then you will have no problems.............

If you have issues, then there is an allergy present.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options

I live in Belleville, IL and work at AB in St Louis!!

That is why I asked about the heat!!! We have been really feeling it and it is getting ready to come back for another round.............

I'm in Columbia, MO and I agree that the heat is crazy!!
  • pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    I agree with the iron suggestion. I've had that problem and a nurse recommended I take Flinstone's Kids with Iron because it's got just the right amount. That's really worked for me.