Postpartum weight loss

Options
Hello to mommies out there BFing and pumping trying to lose the weight. I am 12 weeks postpartum, just returned to work. I pump at work and BF at home. I haven't been producing as much so I am scared to start a workout program. I started walking and light jogging about 6 weeks to 10 weeks after, but my supply decreased and I started having low back pain. I now only walk when I can and am on my feet all day at work. My back pain went away. I've lost 25 of the 30 lbs I gained during pregnancy, but still have a stomach pooch and would like to tone up and maybe lose another 10 lbs. Any advice would be great!

Replies

• buttrfli322
    buttrfli322 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also pump at work and breast feed at home. I was nervous about not producing enough so I have researched a lot and asked my doctor numerous questions. Here is what I have learned: Eat at least 1600 calories and drink at least 64oz of water everyday. If I eat less I am tired and don't lose weight. I have eaten up to 1800 calories and still lost weight. Throughout the week I try to make sure I stay within my caloric intake goal. High impact exercises are not for me right now as my joints and muscles are not used to it and can lead to injury and derail my weightloss. I too started out jogging and doing other exercises starting at 2wks PP...that lead to pain! So now I do tabata and the elliptical with an occasional SHORT jog. I gained about 65lbs during my pregnancy and I have lost 45lbs in the last 12wks. I have lost and gained over that 12wks but every day I try to focus on starting over on my weightloss/strength training journey. My doctor told me that by the 2mth mark your milk is pretty set. If you pump/feed more, you'll produce more. So if you are not producing enough I would recommend pumping after your baby breastfeeds for the first feeding and the last even when you are not working as well as every 3hrs when you are at work.