Intermittent Fasting?

Options
Who has had success with this? What is your plan?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I fasted a few times, but it made me super hungry and the horses in the surrounding fields went into hiding. :smile:

Seriously, I don't understand fasting though I know people who do it.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Well I don't understand the long fast where people do the 24 hour fasting... but more like 16:8 where you eat for 8 hours and fast for 6 (including the 8 hours of sleep time during the fast) you know?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Well I don't understand the long fast where people do the 24 hour fasting... but more like 16:8 where you eat for 8 hours and fast for 6 (including the 8 hours of sleep time during the fast) you know?

Gotcha! It sounds like you mean not eating anything after a very early dinner until the next morning. I don't know, if I'm not hungry it might be okay. However, since I work out heavily five days a week and walk weekends, I probably would not be properly fueling my body.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I do the 16:8 only cause I've never been a breakfast eater so pushing my first meal to 1pm is not an issue. I also realized I preferred working out on an empty stomach. The benefit for me is eating bigger meals later in the day and it helps me stay in my deficit. Most of the time, anyway.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 16-8 for eight months now. I will keep eating this way for life as it helps me control my eating in changing circumstances, I like working out in a fasted state, I feel satisfied and my hunger cues now work properly, and I have gotten great results.

I usually eat from 12:00 to 20:00 or 14:00 to 22:00 hours.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of success with I.F. in the past, but once I get thrown off track, I always have such a hard time getting back on track again.

Are you currently following IF or are you just thinking about trying it?
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of success with I.F. in the past, but once I get thrown off track, I always have such a hard time getting back on track again.

If the goal was not met, the practice can't be described as a success...
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I do the 16:8 only cause I've never been a breakfast eater so pushing my first meal to 1pm is not an issue. I also realized I preferred working out on an empty stomach. The benefit for me is eating bigger meals later in the day and it helps me stay in my deficit. Most of the time, anyway.

All of this, BUT/AND I like to do extended periods of IF and then switch things up and start having a small meal (by small I mean under 300 calories) each morning. For whatever reason, my body seems to respond well to the change in circumstances. I think for me, it probably has to do with cortisol levels.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Combined it with a strict keto diet and it's going good. 16 Hours fasting on weight training days and around 14-15 hours fasted on non training days.

I have Pepsi Max, Sugar free gum to help me through the fast which is usually only 6 hours after me waking up.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I did it for 5 months and it made cutting so much easier. I got into it because whenever I would eat breakfast at 6am I would find myself constantly hungry all day. It took me about 2 weeks to work up to a 1pm window. After that it was smooth sailing.

I got off IF 5 weeks ago as I'm not going into a bulk and I need to eat a lot more food. I will be going back on it in March.

I used it for around 5 months as well, 20:4 20 being fasting, I felt it a killer to get all my calories in that 4 hour period but then I didn't feel hungry the rest of the day. It is one of the reasons I am mentally good at avoiding snacking now.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have had great success with IF. Been doing it since 2009. No magic, just an easy way to control calories. I have done 16/8 fasts a la Lean Gains and I have done one to two 24 hours fasts per week a la Eat Stop Eat. Love em both.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    OP:
    IF is probably not a good approach for you because of the ED. :flowerforyou:
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options

If the goal was not met, the practice can't be described as a success...
    IF works great, helped me lose weight consistently for over a month. I would say it was successful.

The problem was user-ended, I'll leave it at that.
  • KMiYong
    KMiYong Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    well.. first of all, you do fast everyday for as long as you sleep..
    however, yes, I do the fasting thing from time to time. I don't always not eat after a certain hour, but mostly I do. I stop eating at about.. say.. 7-8 p.m, and I eat breakfast at 7 a.m. I do not like the long fasts (24 hours etc'), simply because they make you more hungry and the day after the fast it is very hard to eat your calorie goal, because your body asks for more fuel than you're willing to give it.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    i do it. 8 hours on 16 off. i have dropped almost 30lbs since june 30th switching to this. im loving it!