I'M TIRED OF DON'Ts

Options
2»

Replies

• auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    The nuts have great minerals, too. Even peanuts.

For meat eaters, shellfish also have nice minerals that can be hard to get in food.

Beans help glucose/insulin levels and are packed with vitamins and have good protein levels. If you don't like regular American bean types, try lentils if you never have. Or hummus! Falafel rocks, too.

THANK YOU SO MUCH :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    You seem to have a very narrow diet. You could definitely broaden it out.

Lean beef and lamb are fine sources of protein. So is chicken. Salmon isn't your only choice, and there are many other fishes that are delicious and good for you too.

Carbohydrates aren't bad: potatoes are full of vitamin c, wheat is full of protein. the things that people have eaten for thousands of years are often efficient providers of nutrients. EG wheat products. Wheat has got a bad rap recently, but unless you have a genuine intolerance it's a good source of vitamins and protein besides carbohydrates. And you can buy ancient grains, too.

I've heard turmeric, seaweed and green tea are good antidepressants. a low sugar diet can be helpful for anxiety too.

All fruits are healthy fruits. I eat a bit of dried mango. Less vitamins than say an orange, but delicious, chewy and a nice 'lolly' - and still have fibre. Prunes are wonderful things for you too.

Yeast is very good for you. Had you thought of making your own bread using ancient grains and yeast? You can put a lot of kibbled grains in there too. Kibbled grains are chopped up grains eg rye or even maize, that you boil for a few minutes, allow to cool, and then add to your breads for texture and health benefits.

You can add molasses, wheatgerm, all sorts of things to your own home-made breads that make them worth having.

Your average salad doings are great - as is cheese and of course eggs. I make salads for lunch containing eggs, a bit of smoked chicken, a bit of cheese, grated carrot, chopped capsicum and whatever lettuce is available. I use full fat mayonnaise as I prefer not to use altered foods, eg 'low fat' this or that, but I just don't use much of it.

Daal is great, as is hummus, and pesto is out of this world (high in calories though).

What about going on an explore through the supermarket? And also - hunt through people's diaries. Some eat terrifying food but others eat really healthy, delicious stuff. I'm learning a lot looking at people's diaries.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    You seem to have a very narrow diet. You could definitely broaden it out.

Lean beef and lamb are fine sources of protein. So is chicken. Salmon isn't your only choice, and there are many other fishes that are delicious and good for you too.

Carbohydrates aren't bad: potatoes are full of vitamin c, wheat is full of protein. the things that people have eaten for thousands of years are often efficient providers of nutrients. EG wheat products. Wheat has got a bad rap recently, but unless you have a genuine intolerance it's a good source of vitamins and protein besides carbohydrates. And you can buy ancient grains, too.

I've heard turmeric, seaweed and green tea are good antidepressants. a low sugar diet can be helpful for anxiety too.

All fruits are healthy fruits. I eat a bit of dried mango. Less vitamins than say an orange, but delicious, chewy and a nice 'lolly' - and still have fibre. Prunes are wonderful things for you too.

Yeast is very good for you. Had you thought of making your own bread using ancient grains and yeast? You can put a lot of kibbled grains in there too. Kibbled grains are chopped up grains eg rye or even maize, that you boil for a few minutes, allow to cool, and then add to your breads for texture and health benefits.

You can add molasses, wheatgerm, all sorts of things to your own home-made breads that make them worth having.

Your average salad doings are great - as is cheese and of course eggs. I make salads for lunch containing eggs, a bit of smoked chicken, a bit of cheese, grated carrot, chopped capsicum and whatever lettuce is available. I use full fat mayonnaise as I prefer not to use altered foods, eg 'low fat' this or that, but I just don't use much of it.

Daal is great, as is hummus, and pesto is out of this world (high in calories though).

What about going on an explore through the supermarket? And also - hunt through people's diaries. Some eat terrifying food but others eat really healthy, delicious stuff. I'm learning a lot looking at people's diaries.

Oh I just had seaweed tonight, I forgot to include that in the list I know it has idodine, good for thyroid function
    I also eat hijike and sh!take I think of them as "real food" , but I don't know exactly what their health benefits are.

I do love my carbs (a little to much maybe) I am trying to shift away from simple carbs to more complex carbs or actually carbs in their natural state (I tned toward sweet potatoes,but white potato also have a good amount of potassium)

Never heard of kibbled grains. I have to look into that. Haven't made homemade bread, but I do have a recipe for it on my fridge, right now.

I've recently discovered farina and love it because it keeps me full for so long on a very reasonable amount of calories... I know it's a good source of protein. but expect there are other benefit to farina that I'm not aware of.

I sort of went on a hummus kick and hummused myself out, but I've never tried Daal... that's going to go on the list.

Thanks for respond with the benefits of what you've recommended:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Ha! I've been hummused out before, too. That's funny :D
  • Armagan123
    Armagan123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My way of dealing with cravings is a good amount of protein intake. I consume cottage cheese (low fat, high protein), yogurt, chicken, salmon, ground lean beef, lentils, beans and such. As far as I have at least 20-30 grams of protein per meal, I am good to go.