Where have my toes gone?

Options
Alright, So let me start from the beginning... I have always been a bigger kid. My mom thought chicken nuggets cured all problems and helped create the mentality of eat when you're hungry, bored, sad, happy, angry.... So when she died my life spiraled a bit... I was sent out of state to live with relatives and developed a severe case of anorexia. I was barely braking 130 and I was 5'11 ( I've always been tall too.) After finally accepting six months intensive therapy I gained my appetite back ten fold.... I am now 18 and I stand at a tall 6'1 and a not so fit 344lbs. I know, scary. I've tried every fad diet known to man... Id lose 20 here and ten there only to gain it right back once I see macaroni..... Two weeks ago my highschool sweetheart proposed to me. We have set the wedding date for December of 2014 and I need to be dress ready by October of 2014. I currently wear a 24 dress size and Im hoping to lose at the very least 108lbs leaving me at 236... If I could manage to squeak by losing 3lbs a week to bring me to 182 without hurting myself healthwise That'd be truly Ideal. I just need help though.... I just started a new job and Im currently a student so with working 2:45 - 10 p.m and going to classes 8:30 - 12:30 my life is hectic to say the least. Any tips or recipes. I currently wake up at 6 and walk 2 miles then walk two miles between school and work. I work at a call center so that is the least I would like to squeeze in. I do not eat red meat and I have a crazy sweet tooth. All and any constructive criticism/ helpful tips welcome.
Thank you.
- Rin

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My tips:
    The reason I am creating this post is because I’ve had a few requests for tips regarding weight loss. I don't know why people are asking me for tips considering I still have a lot to lose. :laugh: I am more than happy to share my opinion though and if you don’t agree, well that’s fine to. I make no guarantee that what I am doing will work for you.

Things I use to help me:

:heart: Heart Rate Monitor – I only use this for cardio workouts, because they aren’t meant for much else. I own a cheap Pyle Sports Heart Rate Watch (with chest strap) that I got off of amazon for $26. Polar HRM seem to be highly recommended, but are higher in cost.

:heart: FitBit Zip – I was originally looking to get the One or Flex models, but my husband surprised me with a Zip. I wear it all day, to get a better idea of my total calorie burn for the day. I love that it syncs with MFP and will adjust my calorie goals based on how active I was for the day. It’s extremely tiny and I clip it to my bra (on the part between the two cups).

:heart: Kitchen Scale – I only recently got my kitchen scale, but it is pretty much a must have if you want to be accurate with your food logs.

Exercise:

:heart: Reasons to Exercise:
    :drinker: Cardio – Is good for heart health, endurance, and will help burn some extra calories.
    :drinker: Strength – Is good for body appearance, strength, and will help burn fat (helps maintain LBM)

:heart: Rest Days – Are important. You want to take at least 1 per week to allow your body time to repair and prevent injury.

:heart: Work out Length – You don’t need to spend hours working out each day. I work out anywhere from 20- 90 mins 5-6 days a week. It all depends on how I’m feeling and how busy I am. I recently started Stronglifts 5x5, which takes about 30 mins 3x a week. The rest of my workouts are cardio or circuit training.

Food:

:heart: “Good”/”Bad” Food - I don’t believe in this. To me it is utter nonsense. Food is Food. Some foods provide more nutrients for very little calories while others have a lot of calories and very little nutrients.

:heart: Calorie Goals – Should be reasonable and easy to maintain. Find what works for you. I think it’s probably easier to start with a higher calorie number and work your way down until you are losing at a rate that you are happy with (and that’s healthy). You might end up surprised by how many calories you can eat and still lose weight.

:heart: Metabolic Issues – For those who have medical conditions that affect their metabolism, I’d suggest discussing things like weight loss with a dietitian. That way you can come up with a plan that will work for you. All the online calculators and stuff in that category will probably be very inaccurate for you.

:heart: Vitamins – I take a multivitamin daily. I am actually going to switch from taking a GNC Multi to one I found at Walmart that is very similar to the GNC one, but only a quarter of the cost($5 vs $20). I take a multi because I found without it I was very lethargic. The one I’m going to start taking as soon as I run out of the ones from GNC is “One Source Multivitamin: Women’s.”

:heart: Net Goal - MFP is designed to give you a NET goal to eat at. This means you are supposed to eat your exercise calorie burn. Depending on your accuracy of calculating your calorie burn, you might only want to eat 50-75% back. Another way to look at is:

MFP estimated daily burn (no exercise) - 2500
    lose 1lb per week - -500
    MFP goal of - 2000 (no exercise)
    exercise burn of - 500
    MFP estimated daily burn (with exercise) - 3000
    lose 1lb per week - -500
    MFP goal of - 2500 (or net 2000)

Tracking Progress:

:heart: Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    :drinker: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    :drinker: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    :drinker: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    :drinker: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    :drinker: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    :drinker: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    :drinker: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    :drinker: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    :drinker: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    :drinker: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    :drinker: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    :drinker: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.

:heart: Measurements – This is a great way to judge progress. I take measurements once a month. Even if your weight seems to go up, if your measurements are going down, then you are moving in the right direction. For accuracy you want to try and measure the same spots every time. Places I measure:
    :drinker: Neck
    :drinker: Upper Arm – largest part
    :drinker: Forearm – largest part
    :drinker: Wrist – smallest part
    :drinker: Bust
    :drinker: Ribs Under bust
    :drinker: Waist – where you bend (usually the smallest area above belly button, but below rib cage)
    :drinker: Abdomen @ Navel
    :drinker: Hips – largest part
    :drinker: Thigh – largest part
    :drinker: Calf – largest part

:heart: Pictures – Progress pictures are great. I like to take them once a month and at the start/end of any workout programs I do. You may not see the difference in the mirror, but comparing pictures will show you what the mirror does not.

:heart: Body Fat % - This is another great weigh to track progress. The electronic devices that track it can actually be affected by how much water you did or did not drink. For this reason, I prefer body fat calipers. I got a cheap one off amazon.com ($4 w/free shipping). This is also another thing you only want to track once a month or so. Like measurements, if this number goes down (even if the scale stays the same or goes up) than you are making progress.

Threads that you should consider reading:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/976981-welcome-to-mfp-don-t-worry-there-s-cliff-notes?hl=welcome+to+MFP
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones?hl=spreadsheet+macros
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Threads to help inspire you:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/987513-lifting-is-the-most-horrible-thing-to-a-woman-since-twiggy?hl=lifting+turns+women+into+the+hulk&page=1#posts-15094326
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1045433-women-lifting-heavy-with-pics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/932106-show-me-ur-30-day-shred-results-d?hl=30+day+shred
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1102508-mfp-fitspiration
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    5.11 and 130 is NOT anorexic, it's the perfect weight!. Who the hell did that ED therapy on you? Whats wrong with those doctors?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    5.11 and 130 is NOT anorexic, it's the perfect weight!. Who the hell did that ED therapy on you? Whats wrong with those doctors?

5'11 and 130 is classified as underweight. BMI of 18.1 (low healthy is 18.5).
    a normal weight range would be from 133 to 179 pounds.
    *http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/results_underweight.html?pounds=130&inches=71

As for anorexia:
    Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder that causes people to obsess about their weight and the food they eat. People with anorexia nervosa attempt to maintain a weight that's far below normal for their age and height. To prevent weight gain or to continue losing weight, people with anorexia nervosa may starve themselves or exercise excessively.
    *http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anorexia/DS00606
    Although she was only slightly under weight (by bmi standards) it is possible that she was showing other signs to lead to a diagnosis of anorexia. Since we didn't know her then, we can't really say whether or not the diagnosis was correct.
  • munchkin0518
    Options

A person can have anorexia nervosa, despite being at a healthy or even above-average weight. I know, mindblowing. It's the mentality, as well as dysfunctional eating patterns and relationship with food, that defines the disorder. Also, had the duration been any longer, she might have become underweight, thereby satisfying YOUR preconceived image of anorexia.

To the OP, sorry for going off on a tangent, I am currently trying to recover from a similar background and know how incredibly crippling it can feel. Heart goes out to you and all others trying to figure out how to eat "normal."
  • pennelope515
    Options
    Your goal should be to lose between 1 and 2lbs per week.
  • YaGigi
    Options

A person can have anorexia nervosa, despite being at a healthy or even above-average weight. I know, mindblowing. It's the mentality, as well as dysfunctional eating patterns and relationship with food, that defines the disorder. Also, had the duration been any longer, she might have become underweight, thereby satisfying YOUR preconceived image of anorexia.

To the OP, sorry for going off on a tangent, I am currently trying to recover from a similar background and know how incredibly crippling it can feel. Heart goes out to you and all others trying to figure out how to eat "normal."

Obviously the intensive therapy she had didn't help with the dysfunctional eating patterns but make them worse. She was in a healthy weight back then and now she's severe overweight. If that was the goal of the intensive antianorexia treatment, they've succeeded.
    Again, the question is whats wrong with those doctors?
  • YaGigi
    Options
    OP,

I am not a fitness professional, not a nutritionist, not a dietician, none of that. Most of the people on this web site are none of all that. I'm losing weight with a help of a weightloss clinic, and my health and my diet is monitored by doctors.

I'll tell you what helps me. I've lost about 30 pounds within 100 days. I need to lose 10-15 more but I'm taking it slow now.
    I believe that weightloss starts when you're emotionally ready. I gained all that weight due to the stress, and was able to start losing weight when my depression was over.

Food.
    No junk food, no fast food. If I don't eat pasta, bread, rice, sweets, I lose weight up to 3 pounds a week. I mostly cook from the scratch but also often eat out. My ideal meal is a mix of protein food - about 150-200 gram (chicken, fish, meat) with lots of fresh veggies and salads - also 200 gramm.
    I eat lots of fruits and berries too.

Gym.
    I don't exercise much lately because recovering from asthma but I try to go to swimming pool for half an hour or so. I'm planning to go to gym more often closer to November when the allergy season is over for me.

Also I find its important o take care of the skin while losing weight. So I use good moisturizer and go to massages once a week.

Good luck to you.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Alright, So let me start from the beginning... I have always been a bigger kid. My mom thought chicken nuggets cured all problems and helped create the mentality of eat when you're hungry, bored, sad, happy, angry.... So when she died my life spiraled a bit... I was sent out of state to live with relatives and developed a severe case of anorexia. I was barely braking 130 and I was 5'11 ( I've always been tall too.) After finally accepting six months intensive therapy I gained my appetite back ten fold.... I am now 18 and I stand at a tall 6'1 and a not so fit 344lbs. I know, scary. I've tried every fad diet known to man... Id lose 20 here and ten there only to gain it right back once I see macaroni..... Two weeks ago my highschool sweetheart proposed to me. We have set the wedding date for December of 2014 and I need to be dress ready by October of 2014. I currently wear a 24 dress size and Im hoping to lose at the very least 108lbs leaving me at 236... If I could manage to squeak by losing 3lbs a week to bring me to 182 without hurting myself healthwise That'd be truly Ideal. I just need help though.... I just started a new job and Im currently a student so with working 2:45 - 10 p.m and going to classes 8:30 - 12:30 my life is hectic to say the least. Any tips or recipes. I currently wake up at 6 and walk 2 miles then walk two miles between school and work. I work at a call center so that is the least I would like to squeeze in. I do not eat red meat and I have a crazy sweet tooth. All and any constructive criticism/ helpful tips welcome.
    Thank you.
    - Rin

3 pounds a week may be possible at first because you are starting out quite heavy. However, the smaller you get the more slowly the weight comes off, so planning for 3 a week will likely leave you feeling frustrated a few months down the line. I started at 300 pounds, and I lost around 2.5 a week for about 8 weeks. Then it slowed to 2....then 1. Sometimes nothing. Sometimes, it goes up! The horror! Lol

I know you don't want to hear this but try...setting a specific goal for a specific weight, for many people, leads to frustrations and feelings of failure when they don't reach that goal...even if they are doing amazing. For example, let's say you hope to lose 100 pounds in a set amount of time, but you "only" lose 60...you may find yourself disappointed even though losing 60 pounds is freakin amazing and takes hard work and dedication and most people never accomplish as much as you have.

I know you want to get fit and look your best for your wedding. Totally understandable. BUT try to focus on the bigger goal here: learning how to be healthy and fit for life. Your man loves you, you don't need to impress him. I know you want to look your best on that special day, and you will. Your best for that day may not seem as amazing as the best you a year later, but that's ok, you will know you are working hard, you will be feeling good about your progress so far, and THAT will show on your face.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the worry about focusing on a particular weight, or focusing on a particular date for that matter. It's not really possible to lose all the weight at a totally consistent pace - it's going to come off slower the closer your body gets to where it should be. I understand wanting to be dress ready, but what happens after the wedding? Focus on a new healthy LIFE, and wherever you are at for the wedding, that's where you are at.

Regarding the sweet tooth - I'm with you and the only thing that works for me is cutting out added sugar and starchy carbs completely. If I don't eat it, I don't crave it and the weight loss is much easier. My health has also improved dramatically - blood sugar, LDL cholesterol, inflammation in my joints, so many things.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    90% of your weight loss will come from your diet so be very diligent in sticking with your calorie budget. You may see big weight loss the first few weeks because you have a lot to lose then it will settle down but 2 lbs a week isn't an unreasonable expectation until you get closer to goal.

Exercise is great and will improve your fitness but don't count on it for weight loss. You may want to add some strength training if you can to prevent having a lot of loose skin and you'll definitely look better in your dress with some tight muscle tone.
  • rinlovesben
    Options
    Thank all of you for the support and tips :) It really has jump started my weight loss plan and I'm glad I joined MFP. I was a little skeptic at first but this has reassured me. Since 90% is my diet I've looked up my entire day of meals in advanced (Haven't started the job and on break between classes) So that I know when I should start cooking instead of getting really hungry only to eat something cheesy, starchy, and terrible for me. well thanks again but I gotta go. My walking shoes and I have a date with the library :)
  • funnybun1
    funnybun1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    since you'll be on the go most of the day...I'd suggest you plan out your meals the night before. That way you can grab and run.

I too worked at a call centre. Take your breaks and make them count!! You could do some walking - or if you really felt like it - a short jog. Bring a set of small dumbells with you to work and do exercises between calls. Bring a towel and do Yoga on your breaks (or between calls if it's dead). Play some handball with co workers on your breaks (or chance it on the floor X-D ).

Anything to get the heart rate up will help you lose :)