Thats it! I'm not weighing myself EVER AGAIN!

Serenifly
Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
This might take a minute. first, I've lost 50lbs, in 6 years, now it's maintaining. i'd like to be down to size 3/4 125 lbs. 19% body fat

After winter, like every winter we all put on a few lbs, and lose a lot of definition (Especially us in Mountain Towns) So as I do every year, I hire my trainer from March - August twice a week, join a softball team, play tennis, Hike and Swim. I can lose a lot of weight being active like this.
This year my bf decided to train with me, so every thursday from March we'd weigh in- and take measurements. I lost 7 lbs in 7 weeks, and over 8 inches (mostly thights, butt, and stomach)

Thats was it, that's all the scale would move was 7 lbs. I've never had a hard stomach, but everything is else is firm.

I stopped weighing myself a month ago because it's sooo defeating!

Monday: 2 hours of tennis
Tuesday: Running club, 90 minutes of running training
Wednesday: Personal training in the morning, Swimming in the evening
Thursday: Tennis, then jump in a lake
Friday: Personal Training
Saturday: hour long run
Sunday: Beach Volleyball

This is pretty standard every week, in summer that is. I have great calf muscles, my butt it higher, my arms are defined and firm, My shoulders are good. I still have 3 rolls when I sit, and my bely jiggles (tiny buddah belly) ,,, But I think I'm doing GREAT!

So last night, me and the man played tennis for two hours, we were feeling good, we decide to do a weigh in... UP 4 LBS!!!!!

At 137 lbs! ... WTF! I feel better! I think I look great, And for theses reasons, I am NOT weighing myself anymore Ever again! I'm going solely on how I feel, inside and out.

Replies

• LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    This might take a minute. first, I've lost 50lbs, in 6 years, now it's maintaining. i'd like to be down to size 3/4 125 lbs. 19% body fat

After winter, like every winter we all put on a few lbs, and lose a lot of definition (Especially us in Mountain Towns) So as I do every year, I hire my trainer from March - August twice a week, join a softball team, play tennis, Hike and Swim. I can lose a lot of weight being active like this.
    This year my bf decided to train with me, so every thursday from March we'd weigh in- and take measurements. I lost 7 lbs in 7 weeks, and over 8 inches (mostly thights, butt, and stomach)

Thats was it, that's all the scale would move was 7 lbs. I've never had a hard stomach, but everything is else is firm.

I stopped weighing myself a month ago because it's sooo defeating!

Monday: 2 hours of tennis
    Tuesday: Running club, 90 minutes of running training
    Wednesday: Personal training in the morning, Swimming in the evening
    Thursday: Tennis, then jump in a lake
    Friday: Personal Training
    Saturday: hour long run
    Sunday: Beach Volleyball

This is pretty standard every week, in summer that is. I have great calf muscles, my butt it higher, my arms are defined and firm, My shoulders are good. I still have 3 rolls when I sit, and my bely jiggles (tiny buddah belly) ,,, But I think I'm doing GREAT!

So last night, me and the man played tennis for two hours, we were feeling good, we decide to do a weigh in... UP 4 LBS!!!!!

At 137 lbs! ... WTF! I feel better! I think I look great, And for theses reasons, I am NOT weighing myself anymore Ever again! I'm going solely on how I feel, inside and out.

I detest that cliche "it is probably muscle build" however, the amount of sport you are doing, I strongly suspect it is, truly!

Have you ever measured yourself? I bet your measurements are way down compared to when you first started, that's the good thing about muscle, it pulls the body in and makes it appear smaller even though the weight may stay the same.

Congratulations on everything you are doing, all that sport is enviable, especially by me, if I did all that I would surely snap in two! :laugh:
  • LotusF1ower
    Just thought...... did you weigh in immediately after playing tennis for two hours?

If so, don't forget working out pumps the body up until it calms down again, I bet that wouldn't have helped your scale number you know. xxx
  • hannahlang85
    hannahlang85 Posts: 18 Member
    Its probably just muscle weight your gaining. Thats a great thing! I'm so happy for you! If your looking great and feeling great then thats all that matters in the long run, ever. Keep up the good work and your and inspiration to me for the never weighing thing, I totally know where your coming from! Oh and I wish I could do all those sports you do, sounds like so much fun :)
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 524 Member
    WOW!! First I must say you are absolutely AMAZING!!
    That is one packed week and I can't disagree with you. Stay away from that scale! Scales don't tell you the difference from weight by fat or muscle. I'm sure your trainer has told you that muscle weighs more than fat. So your weight gain is not a bad gain, but a good gain of muscles! Keep up the excellent work and keep feeling good! It's all about how you feel, not what the scale says!
  • Serenifly
    lol thanks Lotus Flower, yeah I did weigh myself right after tennis. We normally weighed and took measurements after work every thursday. Tried to keep it at the same time all the time. I didn't take measurements, I flopped on my bed and said GOOD NIGHT! lol he just laughs at me... says I'm sexy and not to sweat it lol

I live in 'Outdoor Recreation Capital of Canada' It's hard not to be active here, it's a very good quality of life. but come winter, unless you snowboard everyday, it's the gym! and they don't offer any classes :( boooooo
  • I think that is a great idea, for you. Most of your activity doesn't look like it feels like excersise to you but more just a physically active lifestyle, good for you. Your happy with the way your body has transformed don't focus too much on the number on the scale, sure occassionally you'll have to weight yourself, the doctors for example but I think you've got the right idea by going by how your body feels.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    If you feel great, then that is what you should "weigh yourself" by... You are active, healthy, vibrant, absolutely beautiful - have a man who is willing to be active with you... why worry about the scale?

Congratulations for losing the 50!

If it's any consolation - I XFit 3 days/week; have a personal trainer once a week, and try to run a mile everyday just to help increase my endurance. I barely lose any weight at all - it's a snails pace. Maybe .4 after 2 weeks? but what counts is that I feel good (until I weigh myself), so why get myself down by weighing in... KWIM?
  • LotusF1ower
    lol thanks Lotus Flower, yeah I did weigh myself right after tennis. We normally weighed and took measurements after work every thursday. Tried to keep it at the same time all the time. I didn't take measurements, I flopped on my bed and said GOOD NIGHT! lol he just laughs at me... says I'm sexy and not to sweat it lol

I live in 'Outdoor Recreation Capital of Canada' It's hard not to be active here, it's a very good quality of life. but come winter, unless you snowboard everyday, it's the gym! and they don't offer any classes :( boooooo

You should do a teaching fitness course and see if you can run the class, can't see anybody outdoing you!
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    That is frustrating! I used to have a digital scale that had a body fat analyzer, something like that might be useful to you. Since you are mostly trying to reduce your body fat you may not see a lot of weight loss but you will notice the changes in other ways. And also when I weigh in after exercise it is always higher, so don't get discouraged.

Do you ski at all? I started this year, I always seem to get off track too in the winter. I am all about the outdoor activities! My bf and I got passes for Grouse next season, I can't wait!
  • Serenifly
    I've thought about that you know Lotusflower. Ive seriously looked into it, And I thought I'd hire a trainer to see what it was like, and when she kicked my *kitten* the way she does, I decided, maybe I'm not ready! lol ... but I would love to teach a Total Body Class, and Step Class (I MISS STEP!) haha

thanks everyone for your nice comments! really ... they mean a lot ... I appreaciate the support on not weighing myself anymore, I even got rid of my weighing ticker! haha

Mojogirl! that's and awesome schedule you got tooo, i tried Xfit, there's one down the road, I did the first 6 classes to initiate yourself, but decided to go with a personal trainer instead, it's something I might concider in winter :D what a work out that is!
    \
    Thanks Kcurtis and Vanessa for your compliments! Very much appreciated ... It's not easy to stay this active, like mojo said, I have a very active lover, so he really inspires me, and I inspire him to stay active :D and it's fun doing it all together!
  • Serenifly
    Do you ski at all? I started this year, I always seem to get off track too in the winter. I am all about the outdoor activities! My bf and I got passes for Grouse next season, I can't wait!

I snowboard , have for 6 years. I'm 25 minutes away from Whistler, But can only afford to do it once or twice a month lol ... even with an edge card (500$) only gets me 10 trips! That's soooo much $ lol ... I've never been on a local mountain though (Grouse, Seymore or Cypress!) lol I have also concussed myself 4 times in 5 years boarding, I do wear a helmet now, but that has really scared me off boarding
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Yikes! Ya I am new at this and very careful! My bf used to be a semi pro skiier and he has lots of injuries and scars. He had a tree in his stomach and almost died, he has a huge scar up his abdomen. I take it really easy and I am hoping to avoid injury (knock on wood). Whistler is super expensive, our grouse passes were only $350 and we got 2 days of spring skiing, all next season plus a bunch of coupons. We are planning to use our free gondola ride this weekend and get some hiking in, should be fun!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Serinifly - Thank you for posting this! It is really refreshing to see this perspective on MFP. The point is, you KNOW you're healthy, active, and in great shape. You KNOW you're doing your best and you FEEL great about yourself. So why on earth let a number (and all of the meanings we assign to that number) change the way you feel about yourself?

I support you in your decision to never use the scale again and I applaud you in ditching your # ticker. It's a statement of self confidence and self worth. Your value is not (and never was) related to the number on the scale.

What an inspiration. You really ROCK!:happy:
  • Happyoceangirl
    PS - I have a good friend who lost 80 lbs over the course of a couple of years, and got herself in SEXY FINE shape! All sorts of muscles, super toned, hello GORGEOUS! As in, people stare when she enters the room, and make statements like "Do you know how hot you are?"

Even with all that going on, the scale would give her grief. She tends to hover in the 160s (she's tall) but feels like she's a failure when she sees those numbers. So she threw the scale away. Literally, put it in the garbage and took it to the dump. She unloaded a ton of self criticism and disapproval in that one trip.

And she's been doing awesome ever since. Still rockin' the bod - has seasonal fluctuations like you describe - but it's all good. So, it can be done, I've seen it. :)
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    I weigh myself everyday and do measurements and pictures once a month. I've been sitting between 168-170 lbs for over two months now, but I lost 5 inches in the past month alone. It's not always that good, but I like to keep track on all sides of things and I just don't get down about it.
  • Serenifly
    Thank you smiles4miles! Very very much! :D Me and you're friend should start a support group or start a movement! haha
  • Happyoceangirl
    Thank you smiles4miles! Very very much! :D Me and you're friend should start a support group or start a movement! haha

You're most welcome! Honestly, i bet you are a role model for people in your life. How's your vow going? Have you kept your distance, and still feeling great about it?
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    I think you're learning something very valuable here, though...the 'magic number' on the scale is not the end all be all to being a fit and healthy person. In fact, I think, sometimes, that the number on the scale sabotages entirely too many people because it's not as low as they want.

My 'epiphany' came earlier this summer...I was 5 lbs. heavier than I was in January, but my pants are looser. Hmmm...Clearly, I've dropped body fat and because lean muscle takes up less space in your body that the same 'weight' of fat, I'm smaller. It truly was an eye opener, and had I beat myself up over the 5 lb. gain and not noticed the other positive changes (hello...I was actually getting SMALLER in size), I may have used it as an excuse to neglect my fitness.
This discussion has been closed.