Opinions needed: Elliptical or Treadmill?

Options
I'm kind of tied between the two, as they both have their faults/benefits. I am looking to own one, as I am trying to avoid a gym membership at all costs. Anyone prefer one over the other? Looking for an intense workout that I can vary with my dance Dance Revolution game, biking, walking and strength training routines. D:

Replies

• bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Elliptical as treadmill is hard on the joints (ankles, knees, etc.) :)
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer the Elliptical/Arc Trainer when using a cardio machine at the gym as as mentioned it's a lot easier on the joints and can give your upper body a little workout too.

I play basketball regularly on hardwood floors and other hard surfaces so if I can reduce wear and tear on my joints at times, i'm gonna do it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you goal is merely calorie burn then either will work...just depends on what you want to do. Elliptical is easier on the joints, but I prefer a treadmill as it at least will make me a better runner...the elliptical doesn't really help me do anything better from a training perspective but it's fine for general cardiovascular health and to just be moving.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't spend the $$ and just run outside. You can dress for any weather!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to get coordinated on an elliptical...I prefer the treadmill less things going on lol
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to get coordinated on an elliptical...I prefer the treadmill less things going on lol

Had that problem first couple of times I tried an elliptical trainer. Felt really weird. Turns out I was going backwards, haha. Got the hang of it then tried a Cybex Arc Trainer which while similar has it's own quirks. Again, felt weird first couple of times using it. Same reason. Going backwards -_-
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Having owned both, on size, lack of impact, flexibility of workouts and enjoyment the Elliptical would be my weapon of choice. However I tried some cheaper ones and finally purchased a quality used one a lot cheaper very glad I did. They are readily available used, mine which was purchased with good intentions by the original owner was unused so cost me £70 instead of £499.
  • ProudMomNY
    Options
    Try your local YMCA and work out on each for a month and see which you get the best results from.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. What matters is that you commit and consistently exercise. I personally prefer to do so outside, but that is personal preference.
  • 3inches
    3inches Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Elliptical offers me more calorie burn per hour than a treadmill does. You can raise intensity and resistance but if you use the arm bits it's working more muscles. Elliptical all the way
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical but if you like running/jogging the treadmill will have that added benefit on a rainy day
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    The one you prefer is the one you will use. Which do you like better?
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you will continue to do consistently. The difference between the two as far as calories burned will be negligible.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Elliptical :)
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think it's simply a personal preference. I have had both and I definitely love my treadmill more. I would suggest trying out both and go from there.

Good luck on making your decision and great luck on improved health! :smile:
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of tied between the two, as they both have their faults/benefits. I am looking to own one, as I am trying to avoid a gym membership at all costs. Anyone prefer one over the other? Looking for an intense workout that I can vary with my dance Dance Revolution game, biking, walking and strength training routines. D:

Elliptical for variety. You already walk as part of your regular routine.

I bought a precor for my house about 8 years ago. Still works great, and I still use it regularly. In fact, I'm about to jump on now. Also have a rebounder (a lot less $) that I jump and dance on to music. I also regularly walk or hike.

Your routine sounds like it has some nice variety. Good job! And I think you'll enjoy the elliptical, but make sure you try out one first to make sure you like it.
  • naturenurture
    naturenurture Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that the treadmill is a lot louder. If you live in an upstairs apartment or put the treadmill on the second floor of your home, the pounding will be very loud in the room below.

My vote would be for the elliptical as well. If you want to walk/run sometimes, you can still do that outside-- this just gives you more options.
  • Via_14
    Via_14 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Elliptical = burns more calories, tires you quicker

Treadmilll = steady or fast pace, loud as someone said but probably best in the long run
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bad knee here so it's Elliptical for me.

But why not gym? For the money you'd spend on an Elliptical you could have a gym membership for several years. If you buy a cheap one, it'll break or not be an effective calorie burner.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/choosing-good-cardio-equipment/
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I have both and the treadmill gets used way more.. I also think you shouldn't go cheap if you buy a treadmill but can go cheaper on an elliptical. (just my feeling on it though).

I do prefer to run outside too, but in the winter i have to work out inside as it is dark when i get home from work (and i live in the country so no street lights).