Yoga (Secifically regarding Yoga X)

Options
I do a combination of P90X, P90X+, Insanity and One-on-One.

I have heard alot of benefits of yoga: balance, breathe, injury prevention and flexibility. I would like to take advantage of these benefits. The problem is this. I have done Yoga X (just for example, I hve also looked at other yoga videos) twice and both times I could not bend, sit or move without excrusiating back pain that lasted for days. I follow the form off of the video as well as I can.

Suggestions? I understand not every form of exercise will work for everybody. I just wanted to see what may be the problem before I
completely write it off.

Thanks!

Replies

• rhoward66
    rhoward66 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 1st week of the second round of P90X. The first several times I did Yoga X, it hurt. Now, I can definitley see improved flexibility when I do it, but I still am no where near the form that they show in the video. Are you experiencing the back pain during the video, or only the next day? You definitely should modify the moves so that you don't hurt yourself, and remember that it's a slow process.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    i find that i get really lightheaded and dizzy whever i try to do yoga. does this happen to anyone else?
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    yoga x is a great power yoga routine, but the problem is the person teaching it doesn't actually know how to teach yoga. in yoga you don't 'push it' and p90x is all about pushing it. its better to hang back in the poses and moves and gain slowly than 'push it' and not be in full control of your body and breath in a pose. im not a yoga teacher nor am i very good at yoga, but I did learn from a well respected teacher years ago before ever seeing tony teach it and that experience has made it possible for me to follow along with his routine while completely disregarding everything he says.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    I think it may be from the Sun Salutations and the Venyasas. I will try it again, I may be putting too much weight on the front half of my body... Not sure. I will take your suggestion though mworld and not 'push it' like he does.

Dani - I don't get dizzy, sometimes when you are in aposition that puts your head below the levels of your heart, you can get light headed fro a second when the blood goes back down when you stand up.

The back pain is only afterwords. There is strain during but I don't expect it to be pain free or easy so I thought that was normal.
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    I think it may be from the Sun Salutations and the Venyasas. I will try it again, I may be putting too much weight on the front half of my body... Not sure. I will take your suggestion though mworld and not 'push it' like he does.

Dani - I don't get dizzy, sometimes when you are in aposition that puts your head below the levels of your heart, you can get light headed fro a second when the blood goes back down when you stand up.

The back pain is only afterwords. There is strain during but I don't expect it to be pain free or easy so I thought that was normal.

Yoga is about deep breathing, relaxing the muscles and opening up all the tightness you have in your body.. It is about mind/body connection..
    If you feel dizzy during poses or any other discomfort, then you have to back off.. All you are doing is making your body suceptible to injury..
    You need to take the poses (asanas) that work for your body type and try holding each asana for 60 seconds and just breathe. Through practice you should see improvement in flexibility and balance.. As you feel stronger, you can add more asanas and add some meditation..
    I know that many of the Yoga-X, or power Yoga, or Sculpt Yoga or all these forms are trying to "fly" through asanas and make it as if it is an interval workout.. That is not the way to improve your flexibility, breathing, meditation, calmness...
    Namaste
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Douniap - Would you have a suggestion of a website that has an explanation of the posture of form of Sun Salutations, downward dogs and Vanyasas?

The Yoga X video does a mixture of 30 and 60 second poses. But, it being a video, he can't physically show me what I may be doing wrong.

Thank you!
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    Yoga is about deep breathing, relaxing the muscles and opening up all the tightness you have in your body.. It is about mind/body connection..
    If you feel dizzy during poses or any other discomfort, then you have to back off.. All you are doing is making your body suceptible to injury..
    You need to take the poses (asanas) that work for your body type and try holding each asana for 60 seconds and just breathe. Through practice you should see improvement in flexibility and balance.. As you feel stronger, you can add more asanas and add some meditation..
    I know that many of the Yoga-X, or power Yoga, or Sculpt Yoga or all these forms are trying to "fly" through asanas and make it as if it is an interval workout.. That is not the way to improve your flexibility, breathing, meditation, calmness...

X2 I've tried hot yoga a couple times with my girlfriend, I did ok, some of the stretches were difficult for me but instructor stressed that you have to listen to your body and it really is about being relaxed so at the point where you feel uncomfortable is where you back off, over time you will become more flexible and balanced.

I would try a class with an instructor, having someone who can help correct you will maximize your progress, I would have trouble with a video too
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm a yoga instructor and I hate that most people try to do yoga from a video because too many of the most hyped yoga videos are Power Yoga. When you are new to yoga you need to do a more gentle form to stretch the body to prepare it for more advanced Power moves. When I teach it, I tell my clients to only go as far as they can without feeling discomfort. At the point where you feel the pull, but no pain, that is where you stop. If you were to take a class or two at a facility, you can find out where you are on your form, which would be a good thing so that you don't hurt yourself. If you are looking at adding yoga to your program at home, which is a great way to ease tension and relieve stress, I would start with Shiva Rae or Rodney Yee and make sure the video you choose isn't a Power workout. And any move you can't do, go into only as far as you feel you can or skip it until your flexibility improves. Pushing yourself to stretch farther then you can risks tearing muscles and you definitely don't want to do that.
  • CoachFoland
    CoachFoland Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I would suggest taking a few classes where a teacher can help pose you correctly. Once you are comfortable on your own, then you can study at home with the likes of Yoga X, Foutain of Youth, et al.
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    Douniap - Would you have a suggestion of a website that has an explanation of the posture of form of Sun Salutations, downward dogs and Vanyasas?

The Yoga X video does a mixture of 30 and 60 second poses. But, it being a video, he can't physically show me what I may be doing wrong.

Thank you!

I would suggest taking at least one or two classes with an instructor (there are classes offered for free sometimes for the comunity or even at very low price (much cheaper that the DVD itself)). This way, you can be corrected in the poses and as well find out what is your level of flexibility.
    As far as web sites, I found this article which i hope might help in explaining some of the basic poses (i strongly recommend taking at least one class with an instructor):
    Core Elements Of Vinyasa Yoga Postures
    The core elements of Vinyasa yoga postures are Sun Salutations.
    A sun salutation is a fluid sequence of poses done in succession so each pose flows into the next The pace of the flow and how long each pose is held may differ between people and classes, but one thing is consistent: movement is done in accompaniment with breathing, not the other way around.
    This article will run through a number of the Vinyasa yoga postures that make up sun salutations, to give you a better idea of what Vinyasa yoga postures involve.
    1 Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
    This Vinyasa yoga posture helps get your body into line and is harder than it sounds!
    1. Stand with the big toes touching
    2. Lift your toes, fan them out then drop them again to create a solid base. If your ankles knock together, you can separate them.
    3. With your feet rooted into the floor, draw your quadriceps up; this will cause the kneecaps to rise.
    4. Rotate both your thighs inwards. This will widen the sits bones, which are literally the bones beneath your buttocks.
    5. Draw the stomach in a little, and widen the collarbones
    6. Try and align your shoulders and pelvis

Urdhva Hastasana (Raised Hands Pose)
    This Vinyasa yoga posture is great for freeing up the shoulders
    1. From Tadasana, lift your arms out to the sides and upwards
    2. Press your palms together, straightening the arms and gazing up towards your thumbs
    3. Slide your shoulder blades back and down
    4. Make sure you maintain your alignment

Uttanasana (Standing Foward Bend)
    - A Vinyasa yoga posture that's great for your upper legs
    1. From the previous pose, reach the arms out to the sides while folding forward
    2. Make sure you fold from your hips rather than your back
    3. Line the fingertips up with the toes, pressing your palms to the floor
    4. Engage your quadriceps; the more you use them, the looser your hamstrings will get.
    5. Bring your weight into the balls of your feet; your hips should stay over your ankles
    6. Hang your head

Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose)
    - One of the most well-known Vinyasa yoga postures
    1. Lower yourself to your hands and knees, with your wrists and knees underneath the shoulders and hips respectively
    2. Curl your toes under, pushing back to raise the hips and straighten the legs.
    3. Spread your fingers, bearing down from your forearms to your fingertips
    4. Broaden your collarbones by rotating your upper arms outwards
    5. Hang your head, moving your shoulders towards your hips
    6. Rest in this pose by engaging the quadriceps, thereby taking the weight off your arms
    7. Inwardly rotate your thighs, letting your heels sink to the floor. You can check whether you have the correct distance between your feet and hands by continuing into a 'plank' position; these two poses require the same distance between hands and feet.
    8. From adho mukha svanasana (downward facing dog), draw your torso forward until your shoulders are directly over the wrists with the body in one straight line. In this position, you should look as though you are about to do a push-up.
    9. Firmly press the hands and forearms down. Without letting your chest sink, press through your heels.
    10. Make sure your neck is in line with your spine, and broaden your shoulder blades.

Namaste