How much working out is too much?

Options
I'm asking this because like everything else in my life, I keep upping my goals when it starts to get a little easier to reach them. For a while, I've been making sure I burn atleast 1,000 calories every morning during my workout. I started Insanity this week. the first months workouts I'm burning anywhere between 600-700 calories. So I take a 5-10 minute rest after I finish an Insanity workout, then go into Power 90 Master Series Cardio Intervals (one of the bonus workouts on the p90x intro dvd) I do that until I make up the difference. However this morning I decided to go to 1,200 calorie burn. I did this because I take a break from my diet every Friday from 12 pm until my last meal on Saturday. My weight loss has gone slowly but surely doing this. But I want to make sure I don't end up passed out on my living room floor from exhaustion.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would say listen to your body, if you are sore or achy or feel hurt then back it off a little, if not, go for it!
  • Fat_n_Happy
    Fat_n_Happy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Stop about three steps before you pass out........
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As long as you are giving your body enough time to recover (not working same muscle groups within 24 hours of each other) and getting the proper nutrition and caloric intake to sustain such intense working out.

In the past I did over train when running track, and my times actually decreased, my body was giving out as It wasn't getting the rest it needed or the nutrition it required to perform that much, I though going into the season I was in the best shape of my life due to all the working out, but I was wrong.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    If you wake up and you're using a dumbbell for a pillow, you might be working out too much. :flowerforyou:

On a serious note, Insanity should be more than enough of a workout. That seems like an awful lot and I consider myself the "King of Extremes" when it comes to workouts.
  • jnoegrah
    jnoegrah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    that is alot of working out. listen to your body!
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the listen to your body advice. For people who don't work out a lot I think this would work but I know that when I had a bit of an addiction to exercise, the more I worked out, the more I felt like I wanted to work out until eventually I was doing a ridiculous number of hours a day and ended up very injured. If you are doing high impact exercise, I personally think more than an hour a day is probably pushing it.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Does your workout have to be all in one shot? Try to spread it out a bit. I sometimes work out twice a day, once in the morning and once at night.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    the body is an amazing machine, I try to push the limit