Looking for advice on Breast feeding and dieting

Options
So, I've got 2 more months left of breast feeding (yes, I'm one of those crazies that decided to nurse my baby for a year) and I HAVE to loose wieght. I've read alot about this topic, but there's so much conflicting information out there so I wanted to see if anyone had a more personal perspective on the subject. Basically, I don't see a way to add in the calories burned by producing milk (said to range from 200-800 calories a day) and I want to make sure it doesn't affect my baby. I've heard your body can release a chemical (can't remember what it's called) through your breast milk if you diet too aggressively (more than 2 lbs a week if you're overwieght).
I started this week at around 1200ish calories a day and felt okay, but then upped it to over 1500 b/c I'm not producing as much milk. Has anyone else experienced this?
I've also read that your diet doesn't affect the quality of your breastmilk, just the mother's energy/ nutrition levels. I've also read that you shouldn't go under 1800 calories a day when your nursing. I assumed this was for young babies (under 6 mos) and figured I was okay since Max is 10 mos.
Any advice/ experiences to share that might be helpful?

Replies

• buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi!

First of all congrats on nursing for the 1st year!

I'm nursing #3 and was told by my doctor to consume no fewer than 2000 cal/day. From what I have gathered 1800-2500 cal/day when nursing is appropriate. My baby is 8mo. and for the past 3 mo. I have followed that advice, am careful about the fat intake and have lost @ 1 - 2 lbs/week (when I don't overdo the ice cream) :wink: I also haven't seen a change in my milk supply doing this.

I know some people are a bit more aggressive, but I figure I have a baby (and 2 toddlers) and a family to care for - this is a lifestyle change, not just a "diet", so I am content to be a bit more conservative.

It is true that the baby will get the nutrients and whatnot that is required from your breast milk, but at your expense. So your body will begin to lack the necessary vitamins and nutrients - I know there is a concern over calcium and bone density later in life, among others, when this happens.

It is easy to add in the calories I think - a banana, peanut butter toast, glass of milk or juice, frozen yogurt, etc. But I tend to be good at eating =)

I would start with 2000/day - obviously not all nursing moms count their calories, so if you are over or under a few days here and there I would think it all balances out - it seems to for me. And if you don't see the scale budge in a couple weeks, talk to your family dr.or pediatrician. I know that probably seems so dissatisfying when you really want to lose weight, but just remember you have to take care of yourself first. Your family needs you to be healthy!

HTH!
    J
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Man, 2,000 calories sounds like sooo much. I'm not good at taking the middle road (eat nothing or eat everything) so this will be a learning experience.
    Thanks for the input!
  • Nikki79
    Nikki79 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks jchrizzle for your information!

My little one is just 2 months and while I don't plan on being crazy with my diet loss, I also don't know what it appropriate for a more moderate loss of the baby fat... on me not the baby. I think all this being home on maternity leave and so close to the kitchen is so not helping. Tracking may do me some good because all these gummi bears aren't!

Nikki
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The G.I. diet (Glycemic Index) is good for pregnant and nurse moms. I would recommend Rick Gallop's books. He makes it really simple and easy to follow. He also does a great job explaing how and why it works. Its also good for anyone with diabetes. Even if you are not looking for a new diet, the recipes are fantastic and the advice would benifit any diet.

Let me know if you have questions!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    to be honest when I breast fed, and I did all three of mine. Weight fell of me and I never watched what I ate calorie wisw. I ate sensibly and followed the advice on healthy eating, but I was back to a UK size 10 (US 8) after a month tops. I did not gain a lot when I was pregnant though, in fact I now weigh more than I did when I was pregnant with #3. But I was young and weight is easier to lose when you are under 30 I think as your metabolic rate is on your side.

I would seek the advice of your health visitor and see what they say. You know your body best, and feeling tired and run down is not a good sign and means that you wont be on top form for your little one.

:-)
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I nursed my kids as well ...and had the same experience with the wieght comming off while breastfeeding with my second child. The first child I didn't have any luck taking off the weight but I also still ate like I was pregnat... lots of ice cream and no guilt etc. I'm no expert but I would not diet while nursing. Just eat good for you foods when you are hungry and snack on good for you stuff...skip the ice cream, cookie, and chips....... once you are done nursing then begin calorie counting.

If milk supply is getting low for some reason, try oatmeal for breakfast. Not the instant sugar filled... the real stuff you have to cook on the stove. It worked WONDERS for me. After eating Oatmeal for three bfast meals in a row, I had no issues with lack of milk.

Good luck!!