Salad in a Jar

Options
So I'm a full time student and I work as well so I definitely have a lack of extra time. I came across "salads in a jar" last week and wanted to share. I love salads, but when I'm running out of the house it's not the quickest thing to grab. So here is a great solution to preparing salads for an entire week that remain just as fresh as the first day they're made! You need to use the large mason jars for this. Start with putting the salad dressing on the very bottom. Next put in any ingredients that will hold up with the moisture such as cherry tomatoes, onions, green peppers, etc. Then it would be your cheese, meat, etc, but since I'm a vegetarian and don't eat much dairy either I just load up on the veggies and then stack my spinach/kale/romaine on the very top. That's all there is to it! Even a week later my salads are crisp and if anything they taste even better than the first day because the tomatoes have marinated in the dressing. There are plenty of salad recipes for this if you just google "salad in a jar". Hope you enjoy! :)

And if anyone has tried this and has any great salad combinations please share! My favorite is a cilantro dressing with black beans, corn, bell peppers, green onions, cherry tomatoes and romaine lettuce.

Replies

• wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thx! I'm going to try it this week!
  • Jenifer_Duron
    Options
    Hey! Thanks for sharing, it's very helpful for those who remain busy all the day. But still we should try to have fresh salad.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Hey, that is a great idea! Thanks!
  • kimberlily823
    kimberlily823 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Jenifer_Duron This is a fresh salad. These ingredients sit in our fridge all week before we make a salad each day, so these are still just as fresh and crisp as if I'd made them today. It might not be for everyone, but I've certainly enjoyed saving time and having something quick and healthy to grab.
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I had forgotten about this, thanks for the reminder!
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I like this method when I take salads to work or campus. It makes it very handy to evenly distribute the dressing without having to use a separate container. I make a lot of different salads depending on what I have on hand. Boiled, diced sweet potatoes are a favorite salad ingredient. I dice peeled or unpeeled sweet potatoes, boil them in salted water for three minutes or so, drain them and cool them until I'm ready to make my salad. I also like chickpeas and goat cheese in salads. And raw shredded beets. All sorts of stuff, really.
  • kimberlily823
    kimberlily823 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes sound AMAZING in a salad! Definitely trying that.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I work from home, so time isn't an issue. But I make a big batch of shredded chicken every week and my husband always eats it all and I can't have it for my salads! This would be a great way to get the chicken I want and it sounds like a great dinner for when we're both exhausted. And I have a ton of Mason Jars because I use them for sauces. I think mine will consist of carrots, rosemary and garlic red potatoes, mushrooms, chicken, and spinach with lemon vinaigrette. Thanks for the idea!