More fat please!

Options
Everyday I go over on sugar (from fruit and yoghurt mostly), fibre and sometimes protein but I never reach my carbs or fat allowance- not even close! I know you have to eat fat to lose fat so are there any healthy ways I can get some good fats into my diet? I sometimes don't even hit the halfway point for my daily fat intake!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Good fats can come from nuts, olives, healthy oils & seeds
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    eat full fat PLAIN yogurt without added sugars and add your own honey.
    as long as you aren't gorging on hydrogenated oils found in butter substitutes, you'll be fine. peanut butter is also good. sautee some veggies in olive oil. add flaxseed meal to your oatmeal. have a bit of real, 100% butter on some whole grain toast.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Why not change your % of each that you get if you are consistently over on one and not the others, try upping % protien by 10% and lower fat and carbs by 5% each.

So to settings, click "change goals", select "custom" make your changes then click "save changes" MFP sets protein relatively low especially if you do resistance (strength training)
  • antiadipose
    Options
    flax meal, walnuts, almonds, fish, olive oil... pistachio, PB, almond butter.
    i had 14 almonds (98cals) like 2 hours ago and im still full! i love it.
    i rarely eat my fat too but when i do i def notice how it keeps me fuller longer
  • rhoward66
    rhoward66 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Avocado!
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Full fat yogurt has more unhealthy saturated fat than other options...

Try a handful of raw pecans, almonds, pistachios, or cashews on a salad.
    Use a 1/2-1 tablespoon of olive oil as salad dressing... then add seasoning.
    Mashed avocado makes a delicious condiment for chicken and burgers.
    Eat more salmon.
    Take fish oil or primrose oil.
    Ditto to the flaxseed idea.
    Experiment with coconut oil, avocado oil, or macadamic nut oil.
    Eat no sugar added natural peanut butter with apples or on ezekiel bread for more carbs.

If you are having trouble keeping the sugar low in your diet, try switching to greek yogurt and add stevia or truvia with a handful of blueberries and nuts.

Tip: don't consume fat 2 hours prior to working out as it slows down digestion.
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    avacados are good healthy fat.... long live guacamole..... ... also avacado burgers..... or as a dressing on burger....
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i just surpassed my fat intake and i haven't eaten dinner yet.

healthy fats - nuts, omega fatty acids, olive oil, mufas
  • SarahNicole317
    Options
    Why not change your % of each that you get if you are consistently over on one and not the others, try upping % protien by 10% and lower fat and carbs by 5% each.

So to settings, click "change goals", select "custom" make your changes then click "save changes" MFP sets protein relatively low especially if you do resistance (strength training)

This would be like saying I can't stay under 1300 calories so I'll bump it up to 2000 then I'll feel better because I won't feel like I'm cheating. Your body needs to have healthy fat for hormone production. Don't neglect it.
  • erickirb
    Options

This would be like saying I can't stay under 1300 calories so I'll bump it up to 2000 then I'll feel better because I won't feel like I'm cheating. Your body needs to have healthy fat for hormone production. Don't neglect it.

Not at all, Most users on MFP that I have consulted with increased the % of calories from protein. And it is completely different as for weight loss a calorie is a calorie and what I suggest does not change this and will allow her to stay in her designated caloric allotment. MFP sets protein pretty low as per some government standard. And I only suggested a decrease of 5% in fat so they will still get the amount of fat needed.

Are you suggesting that those on low carb diets shouldn't adjust their %? that is what is sounds like.
  • absie107
    Options

If you are having trouble keeping the sugar low in your diet, try switching to greek yogurt and add stevia or truvia with a handful of blueberries and nuts.

Saturated fats, in moderation, are not unhealthy. Trans fats are. When the government told Americans to stop the saturated fat intake in the 1970s, they started using hydrogenated oils in butter replacements, aka trans fats, which are much, much worse. There is no conclusive evidence that a bit of saturated fat in your diet will ultimately kill you. Everything in moderation. Also, why would you want to use an artificial sweetner? I understand why people want to use stevia and truvia... but isn't the real deal (aka whole fruits, cane sugar in moderation) a little... I don't know... more satisfying? Take some honey and add it to your yogurt or greek yogurt. People have eaten full fat everything for centuries, so why is it that now, when 1/3 of the fricking country is obese, that nonfat is CONTINUALLY the choice? If there isn't more fat, then there's more sugar or sodium. Processed foods aren't worth it.

Nutrition science is shaky. There are tons and tons of studies that come out daily that are mostly correlational that continue to confuse us and make us anxious, fearful. Use your head. Don't go overboard, listen to your body, learn where things come from and the history of food in this country.
  • SarahNicole317
    Options

Not at all, Most users on MFP that I have consulted with increased the % of calories from protein. And it is completely different as for weight loss a calorie is a calorie and what I suggest does not change this and will allow her to stay in her designated caloric allotment. MFP sets protein pretty low as per some government standard. And I only suggested a decrease of 5% in fat so they will still get the amount of fat needed.

Are you suggesting that those on low carb diets shouldn't adjust their %? that is what is sounds like.

I would have to assume that if someone is one a specific diet, such as a low carb diet, then they would be smart enough to manually adjust the macros. However, if she is consuming say... 20 grams of fat, but needs 30 grams of fat to sustain hormone regulation she is going to alter her body's natural balance.

Also, I understand that calories in < calories out results in weight loss. But if person A consumes fat, protein, and carbs from Snicker's bars, fried chicken, and McDonalds and person B consumes oatmeal with flaxseed, salads dressed with EVOO, and salmon...calories the same... will they look the same?
  • SarahNicole317
    Options

Saturated fats, in moderation, are not unhealthy. Trans fats are. When the government told Americans to stop the saturated fat intake in the 1970s, they started using hydrogenated oils in butter replacements, aka trans fats, which are much, much worse. There is no conclusive evidence that a bit of saturated fat in your diet will ultimately kill you. Everything in moderation. Also, why would you want to use an artificial sweetner? I understand why people want to use stevia and truvia... but isn't the real deal (aka whole fruits, cane sugar in moderation) a little... I don't know... more satisfying? Take some honey and add it to your yogurt or greek yogurt. People have eaten full fat everything for centuries, so why is it that now, when 1/3 of the fricking country is obese, that nonfat is CONTINUALLY the choice? If there isn't more fat, then there's more sugar or sodium. Processed foods aren't worth it.

Nutrition science is shaky. There are tons and tons of studies that come out daily that are mostly correlational that continue to confuse us and make us anxious, fearful. Use your head. Don't go overboard, listen to your body, learn where things come from and the history of food in this country.

Truvia and stevia are both natural sweeteners from the stevia plant. They are better options for 2 reasons... one because they are calories free/serving and two, because they will not alter your blood sugar like cane sugar does... thus resulting in an insulin spike only to be followed by a crash. Plus, when you take in sugar your body wants to store it as fat if you aren't burning off energy.
  • erickirb
    Options
    double post
  • erickirb
    Options
    The original post does not indicate she is not getting the essential amount of fat, just less than MFP suggests.
  • absie107
    Options
    well, i suppose I've lost on the stevia debate. i just don't like the taste and don't like that i'm importing it from someplace else as opposed to using locally produced honey. also, it should probably be used sparingly just like regular sugar. if you like the taste... go for it. also, calorie-free doesn't always = better. diet coke, for instance? just because it's calorie free does not mean it's better for you.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    Truvia and stevia are both natural sweeteners from the stevia plant. They are better options for 2 reasons... one because they are calories free/serving and two, because they will not alter your blood sugar like cane sugar does... thus resulting in an insulin spike only to be followed by a crash. Plus, when you take in sugar your body wants to store it as fat if you aren't burning off energy.
    [/quote]

Please be smart about these artificial sweeteners! Just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it is good for you at all! Artificial sweeteners make you crave more sugar because your body is tasting sweet, but not getting the calories/carbs from it. Also, there is very little research about these new artificial sweeteners and NO logitudnal research. They have NO IDEA what it will do to your body in the long term. Just please be careful!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Avocado!

I second that idea!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Everyday I go over on sugar (from fruit and yoghurt mostly), fibre and sometimes protein but I never reach my carbs or fat allowance- not even close! I know you have to eat fat to lose fat so are there any healthy ways I can get some good fats into my diet? I sometimes don't even hit the halfway point for my daily fat intake!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Natural sources and yes saturated fat is natural and it is not bad for you. If you would like some research and data on this, please let me know, I will gladly point out several books and scientific articles for you to read.

Meat
    Eggs
    Full Fat Yogurt
    Butter
    Nuts
    Eat chicken skin and dark meat chicken
    Coconut Oil

This is just to name a few.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

Please be smart about these artificial sweeteners! Just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it is good for you at all! Artificial sweeteners make you crave more sugar because your body is tasting sweet, but not getting the calories/carbs from it. Also, there is very little research about these new artificial sweeteners and NO logitudnal research. They have NO IDEA what it will do to your body in the long term. Just please be careful!

[/quote]

Actually Truvia is the processed version of Stevia.

Stevia is the most natural, merely dried and ground. Truvia and that other stuff they sell in main stream stores is a processed version of stevia and I stay far, far away from it.

Stevia will not cause you to have sweet cravings in its more natural form. I have no idea about the Truvia stuff because it is processed and I won't use it.