Gaining weight from weight lifting

Options
About a month ago I started lifting weights. I still lost 3 pounds in a month but that only happened after taking half a week off exercise. Now I seem to gain weight every time I increase my weights. I'm not sure I should have started lifting if my goal was weight loss.

Replies

• glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It is most likely just water that your muscles are holding onto to repair. I would really recommend monitoring measurements and body fat when strength training, you may not see all of your progress with just the scale alone.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Usually you only gain muscle weight once you get rid of most of your fat. According to your ticker you are only half way there (but that's great!). So you should keep losing, but then once you approach a maintenance level, then you may gain some. Once I hit 15% body fat, then my weight either stays the same or goes up about 6 lbs.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Yes, you'll gain some water weight initially, but that will eventually stop. That's why your muscles look much fuller. If the weight gain continues, you are eating a calorie surplus.