What is Thanksgiving?

Options
We don't celebrate it in the UK, but obviously we know of it through American TV and films. I always thought about it as being a uniquely American festival, but I gather it's marked in other countries too?

So aside from being a time when families gather and enjoy a big turkey dinner to give thanks for the bounty of the year(???) - what is it? For example:

• Is it festive like Christmas?
•Is it a whole day of celebration? Or is it just the meal? Or do people tend to spin it out over the weekend? (it's always Thursday, is that right? In the States anyway?)
•It's a public holiday isn't it?
•Do you send each other Thanksgiving cards?
•Is it mainly religious people who observe it? Or is it universal?
•How does it rank in terms of significance against say Christmas; New Year; Birthdays; other public holidays?
•If I turned up at your house this Thanksgiving (as an invited guest of course! I wouldn't be so crass as to just gatecrash!) what could I expect? What would you expect of me?

Here in the UK, churchgoers have the Harvest Festival, but it goes unnoticed by the rest of the community, pretty much. Halloween has become more American - with kids trick or treating. We of course have Bonfire Night on 5th November, then it's clear run to Christmas. So Thanksgiving doesn't feature at all in our calendar. There must be people here who celebrate it, I met one lady whose family were American, so she did. But in 50 years she's the only one I've met!

So I'd be interested to learn more about it :smile:

Replies

• DYfive
    DYfive Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    -Pretty festive. Almost on par with Christmas.
    -Whole day. People usually travel and spend a few days with family.
    -Yep. Public Holiday, everything is usually closed, though not as much as with Christmas
    -I'm sure some people send cards, but not so much that I know of.
    -Pretty much everyone celebrates; but I assume the main idea is that we are thankful to God
    -Thanksgiving is probably second to Christmas. I'm sure some would disagree, but it's a pretty big deal.
    -If you were a stranger, or someone most people aren't acquainted with, nothing would be expected of you. Thanksgiving is usually a great "meet the family" Holiday. Usually if families get together they will volunteer to bring some stuff and ask if they need to make anything, etc.

Thanksgiving is a pretty awesome Holiday. Probably my favorite because it feels less stressful than Christmas. Easy going. Eat a lot. Hang with family. Watch football.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Also, the night before Thanksgiving is one of the biggest bar nights of the year.

:drinker:
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    We celebrate in Canada too, but in October, usually the 2nd Monday, so it's coming up in just over a week. Because of course our harvest is earlier. When I was a kid, I could NOT understand why the crazy Americans started their run up to Christmas right after Thanksgiving because I did not know that they celebrated in late November! Other than that, pretty much what DYfive said applies here too. Though maybe not so much the football. There are games on that day, but we're not quite so rabid fans of it as the Americans are, because, you know, snow... Many a Grey Cup (our championship game) is played in snow in late November! (in the uncovered stadiums)
  • desertSNOUT
    Options
    OP be of good cheer and do Not count calories that day. Be thankful for everything in your life most especially your family!
    I have a neighbor who lives alone with her disabled daughter, I'm inviting them to join us this year. It is a very nice prelude to Christmas.
  • DudeistPriest
    DudeistPriest Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Contemporarily, families gather for a big dinner and football

From Wikipedia:
    Thanksgiving, or Thanksgiving Day, is a holiday celebrated in the United States on the fourth Thursday in November. It has been an annual tradition since 1863, when, during the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national day of "Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens", to be celebrated on Thursday, November 26.[1] As a federal and popular holiday in the U.S., Thanksgiving is one of the major holidays of the year. Together with Christmas and New Year, Thanksgiving is a part of the broader holiday season.
    The event that Americans commonly call the "First Thanksgiving" was celebrated by the Pilgrims after their first harvest in the New World in 1621.[2] This feast lasted three days, and was attended by about 53 Pilgrims and 90 American Indians.[3] The New England colonists were accustomed to regularly celebrating "thanksgivings"—days of prayer thanking God for blessings such as military victory or the end of a drought.[4]
  • Amazingday
    Amazingday Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I live very near Plymouth, Massachusetts.... Thanksgiving is a big deal here for the historical aspect. The Pilgrims landed here and almost didn't survive the harsh weather. The native Americans, Wampanoags showed the Pilgrims how to grow corn and basically survive. The actual holiday used to be a day of fast, giving thanks for all the bounty from the previous year. Over time it became a harvest festival. Now, families come together and consume mass quantities of food, and typically watch American Football. It also marks huge Chirstmas sales, since Thanksgiving always falls on Thursday the shopping day was called Black Friday. This past year stores began opening on Thanksgiving to give themselves an edge on the competition. I hate how it has infected a wonderful holiday. I have always loved Thanksgiving, seeing all the family, laughing and sometimes fighting all holidays are great people watching events. Everyone brings their favorite food or dessert to show off their cooking skills and tempt me back into a larger size of pants!!!! :)
  • danger2oneself2
    danger2oneself2 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    thanks giving is a time for stuffing your face and drinking like a fish for no apparent reason.....All I know is it's spose to be a holiday to celebrate giving and sharing the wealth because apparently back in the day after we slaughtered all the Indians and then we invited a select few survivors to a big dinner and ate like crazy and tried to get them to nevermind the fact that we committed genocide to their families while we poison them with food and booze....just another selfish and equally pointless american holiday....
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is also a great day for football. American football.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    It's where us Americans pretend that our ancestors from over the water ways didn't come and slaughter hundreds of thousands (perhaps millions, who really knows) of people.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    • Is it festive like Christmas? Yes, but more compressed since you typically don't have as much time off.
    •Is it a whole day of celebration? Or is it just the meal? Or do people tend to spin it out over the weekend? (it's always Thursday, is that right? In the States anyway?) If you have inlaws or unusual work schedules, you may end up doing multiple events that spread to the weekend.
    •It's a public holiday isn't it? Yes
    •Do you send each other Thanksgiving cards? No
    •Is it mainly religious people who observe it? Or is it universal? Not religious
    •How does it rank in terms of significance against say Christmas; New Year; Birthdays; other public holidays? It's a big holiday, if your workplace only gives 5 holiday days, this will be one of them.
    •If I turned up at your house this Thanksgiving (as an invited guest of course! I wouldn't be so crass as to just gatecrash!) what could I expect? What would you expect of me? You could expect there to be a football (American football of course) game playing at some point, and you would probably bring a dish. Lots of eating and chit chat. Depending on when people arrive, there is also a big parade that might be on TV.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    here the link to canadian thanks giving and we have football to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(Canada)
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    • Is it festive like Christmas? No.
    •Is it a whole day of celebration? Or is it just the meal? Or do people tend to spin it out over the weekend? (it's always Thursday, is that right? In the States anyway?) Yes, Main focus is the meal and spending time w/ family.
    •It's a public holiday isn't it? yes. Parades, football (soccer?) and off work.
    •Do you send each other Thanksgiving cards? Old people do sometimes I guess.
    •Is it mainly religious people who observe it? Or is it universal? everyone does.
    •How does it rank in terms of significance against say Christmas; New Year; Birthdays; other public holidays? I think it's 2nd in popularity to xmas.
    •If I turned up at your house this Thanksgiving (as an invited guest of course! I wouldn't be so crass as to just gatecrash!) what could I expect? What would you expect of me? To bring a desert and be dressed in fall colors but like for church.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    It's where us Americans pretend that our ancestors from over the water ways didn't come and slaughter hundreds of thousands (perhaps millions, who really knows) of people.

:huh:
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    double post
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    -Pretty festive. Almost on par with Christmas.
    -Whole day. People usually travel and spend a few days with family.
    -Yep. Public Holiday, everything is usually closed, though not as much as with Christmas
    -I'm sure some people send cards, but not so much that I know of.
    -Pretty much everyone celebrates; but I assume the main idea is that we are thankful to God
    -Thanksgiving is probably second to Christmas. I'm sure some would disagree, but it's a pretty big deal.
    -If you were a stranger, or someone most people aren't acquainted with, nothing would be expected of you. Thanksgiving is usually a great "meet the family" Holiday. Usually if families get together they will volunteer to bring some stuff and ask if they need to make anything, etc.

Thanksgiving is a pretty awesome Holiday. Probably my favorite because it feels less stressful than Christmas. Easy going. Eat a lot. Hang with family. Watch football.

Yep this sums it up!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    thanks giving is a time for stuffing your face and drinking like a fish for no apparent reason.....All I know is it's spose to be a holiday to celebrate giving and sharing the wealth because apparently back in the day after we slaughtered all the Indians and then we invited a select few survivors to a big dinner and ate like crazy and tried to get them to nevermind the fact that we committed genocide to their families while we poison them with food and booze....just another selfish and equally pointless american holiday....

I thought the whole war on indians was more after this time? Who knows, history isn't my strongest area.

We do the whole turkey thing, pumpkin pie, sweet potatoes and such. Draw names for Christmas gifts or swap idea lists and plan the rest of our holidays out loosely. Family gets together for the meal, but it's important to include those that are alone. It's not unusual to invite those outside the family without a place to go for the day OR to at least take them a few big plates of food.

Many of the food pantries (where the needy can go for food) and charities try to provide food for the poor - whether it's a turkey dinner delivered, served at a community area or a "food basket" thanksgiving dinner that can be prepared. Lots of folks donate so that everyone has a Thanksgiving dinner.

Football (American) is popular too - but I'm not a football fan (sit down - it's on the TV - there are fans around just not me). Black Friday planning is the nonfood part for me.

I do hate that black friday now starts on Thursday - I think it's too much.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is next weekend for Canada. We eat tonnes of food while hanging our with friends and family. It is a pretty big holiday for traveling and getting together. I like it in October so it isn't so close to Christmas.
    Having the Monday off work paid is pretty awesome and my favourite part.
  • jema_b98
    jema_b98 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's a holiday, like Christmas, and marks the beginning of the holiday season. Most people have family and friends over for a big
    turkey and ham dinner with stuffing, corn, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, green beans:happy: and dessert is pumpkin pie, apple pie and assorted cakes. Depending on the region, other side vegetables also make an appearance.
    The day after Thanksgiving, is called Black Friday and all the stores open super early (like 4:00 a.m.) and have big sales on everything.
    At our house, we have an assorted mix of people, family and friends and they guys watch football and the women cook. Lots of drinking is involved.
    Always fun and festive but don't send cards to anyone. It's mainly about getting together for a massive meal.