Do we ever know our real weight and body fat %??

Options
I ask this question as the scales I have been using since I started my journey with mfp have me at one number. but today I got on my new PTs scales which said a whole 6% body fat more than the scales I had been using! and 2 llb heavier, but I dont pay much attention to this. But I know all scales vary and are NEVER exact .... however 6% is a drastic difference. Do we ever know our real weight and body fat %??

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    If you need more accuracy for body fat, use a Bod Pod or hydrostatic weighing. Both are accurate to about 3%. Check the exercise department at local universities for those. It might be free for alumnis.
    As far as weight, use an accurate scale that's been calibrated recently.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    I mean accuracy exists but it kind of doesn't matter. You have mirrors to tell you whether you've achieved your goal ;)
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hydrostatic weighing and DEXA scans are pretty accurate for a 1-time measurement. Calipers in the hands of a well trained user can be really accurate at tracking changes in BF, but if you really have to know exactly how much body fat you have, get a family member or trusted friend talk to the medical examiner at your autopsy. I suppose it won't be very important to you at that point, though. *Wink*