Intense Diet and Exercise But I'm Gaining Weight?

Options
Hi guys,
I've been on a strict diet and exercise routine for the past month, as I'm on the quest for toned lean muscle and a flat stomach. I do cardio 7 days a week, 30 minutes on the stairnaster or running on the treadmill three times a week, and I go to turbo kick the other for days of the week for an hour. I lift twice a week, mainly legs, arms, and back. I consume around 1,000 calories per day, eating a little more on the weekends. For the first two weeks, I lost a total of 7 lbs but these past two weeks I gained four pounds. I'm extremely distraught and frustrated and I don't know what to do. I've been told that I need to increase my calories, but with the amount of food I eat now, I'm usually satisfied. I am seriously at a loss as what I should do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you :]

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    You should be more concerned about the fact that you are seriously under eating for your activity level. You're setting yourself up for muscle loss and a ruined metabolism. You should be eating probably twice the number of calories you are currently consuming. If you're full, choose more calorie dense foods.

Read this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=road+map+short
  • newdoda
    newdoda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You're body needs a recovery period; and if you are not eating enough calories your body is trying to protect itself. I would be careful if I were you:)
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You answered your own questions.

People told you to eat more.
    Do it.

1000 cals is not enough with all of the work outs you do.
    Follow the post the other posted gave you. Give it time - like 4-6 weeks at least
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I would get a food scale, use it for a week without changing or increasing your intake, and see if you're truly only consuming 1000 calories.

Something in your equation isn't right. If you're eating at a deficit you will lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

You are a 20 year old female doing intense workouts every day and eating only 1,000 calories per day? If this is true, your body is not properly getting fueled. I can't imagine how you have any energy at all. In fact, this is downright dangerous.

Have you set yourself up in MFP? Do you religiously log in all your food and exercise? Do you read packages for calorie counts and research to find a fairly accurate count of how many calories a person your height and weight burns during exercise? MFP tends to overestimate calories burned through exercise, and their food database has some inaccuracies in their calorie count.

If you have gained wieght:

Perhaps you are retaining water due to being close to the time of your month

or

You are eating more than you think, and perhaps you are overestimating calories burned.

My guess is that it's the latter, since eating more than what you are burning is the number one cause of weight gain in the general public.

If you have not already done so, I want to encourage you to set your profile up and allow MFP to calculate your calorie count based on your input about your weight loss goals. Log in all food and exercise and make it a daily goal to stay within your calorie limit.
  • jrheadman
    jrheadman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find that when I am exercising intensely that I have to eat 200-400 more calories a day to continue to lose weight. My body thinks I am starving it and holds on to every ounce. Try increasing your diet by 200 calories a day for a week or 2 and see what happens.
  • bc673
    bc673 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it! I religiously monitor calories, I've been tracking my daily intake on MFP the entire time. my meals consist of lean cuisines that are <250 calories and a prepackaged salad that's 210 calories. I rarely snack, and if I do it's less than 100 calories. On the weekends I generally eat about 12-1500 calories, but never any more than that.

I initially thought that it was water weight from having my period, but it ended and I am still stuck with this weight gain. It's making me go completely crazy, and I'm being completely obsessive, but I will definitely read all of the links that were provided, and use all of the advice that was given. If you guys have any other tips/suggestions they are completely welcomed! thank you guys so much again!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it! I religiously monitor calories, I've been tracking my daily intake on MFP the entire time. my meals consist of lean cuisines that are <250 calories and a prepackaged salad that's 210 calories. I rarely snack, and if I do it's less than 100 calories. On the weekends I generally eat about 12-1500 calories, but never any more than that.

I initially thought that it was water weight from having my period, but it ended and I am still stuck with this weight gain. It's making me go completely crazy, and I'm being completely obsessive, but I will definitely read all of the links that were provided, and use all of the advice that was given. If you guys have any other tips/suggestions they are completely welcomed! thank you guys so much again!

Then, there is the big possibility that you are over-estimating calories burned.

Also, I'd have a hard time thinking that MFP would allocate you even 1,200 calories for such intense workouts. It certainly would never calculate 1,000 calories.

Really, you need to make sure you eat more and that you calculate your exercise calories correctly.
  • donjessop
    donjessop Posts: 186
    Options

The Institute of Medicine in the US has indicated that you should be eating 0.37 grams of protein per pound of weight. If you are doing lots of exercising you should probably boost that number to 0.5 grams or higher. Remember to drink LOTS of water and avoid salt. Every meal should contain some protein. There are billions of other "lessons" but the key one is to eat back the calories that you burn.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

I am happy that you are going to read the links....you have to eat more to properly fuel your body and every organ...that includes your heart, brain, lungs etc. Also ditch the lean cuisines....read the labels on them before eating another...not as much nutrition and way to much sodium.