nutella video makes news

Options
http://globalnews.ca/news/874931/how-much-sugar-is-in-nutella-canadian-doctor-decodes-whats-in-the-hazelnut-spread/

How much sugar is in Nutella? Canadian doctor decodes what’s in the hazelnut spread

TORONTO – It’s smooth and sweet and one of the tastiest toppings to put on your morning toast, but is it healthy for you? If Nutella is a morning breakfast staple in your kitchen, you should probably stop reading this story.

A Canadian doctor is sounding the warning bells about the chocolate hazelnut spread, showing viewers in a new video just how much sugar goes into two tablespoons.

Story continues below
AdvertisementHis answer: five hazelnuts, some skim milk powder, whey powder and cocoa powder, about a half teaspoon of palm oil and 5.5 teaspoons of sugar, “which is an amazing feat,” Dr. Yoni Freedhoff adds.

After reading a magazine and finding an advertisement for Nutella, he decided to unravel what’s in a spoonful of the supposed addition to a healthy breakfast. His findings are based on the ad suggesting there are 94 hazelnuts in a jar and the nutrition facts panel on the product.

“There are literally no name frosted icings that have fewer calories and less sugar than Nutella does spoon for spoon,” Freedhoff said.

He’s hoping that parents are wising up to what’s being sold to them as healthy.

“I don’t think there are many parents out there who would want to spread chocolate icing on their kids toast in the morning for breakfast, but I think there are plenty that feel that doing so with Nutella is somehow okay,” he said.

“Make no mistake, Nutella is spreadable candy. It is not healthy, breakfast does not love it. You might love it, but this does not help to make a nutritious breakfast fun, it helps to make a nutritious breakfast non-nutritious,” Freedhoff said.

He’s a leading obesity expert and physician at the University of Ottawa and Bariatric Medical Institute. The video was posted Monday in his blog, Weighty Matters. It’s already been shared more than 3,200 times.

Watch the video here.

To put it in perspective, Freedhoff stacks five Oreo cookies on top of a piece of toast – that’s the equivalent of the amount of sugar in the spoonfuls of Nutella.

The doctor runs the website weighty matters.

Replies

• tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! I work in a grocery store and you would not believe how many people buy nutella for their kids because the commercials make it look like it's healthy. It is basically frosting with a little hazelnut in it. Don't get me wrong, I like nutella, I just wouldn't feed it to my kid for breakfast. I just wish they were more responsible in their advertising, because some people really do believe everything they see on tv.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    a tablespoon of nutella has the same sugar as a 1/2 glass of orange juice. Both can be given to children for breakfast as long as you know what is in there and take that into account in putting the meal together...and educate them on proportions, nutrition etc.

I don't see the point in painting certain food items are evil. there are plenty of obese kids and grown-ups who have never had nutella.

I buy nutella for my kids and it's nothing to do with the commercials.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Another scare tactic. If all people understood nutrition then it wouldn't have been produced, and in there lies the reality.....people want to believe that a single food is evil and potential victims of nutella venom. Pretty ridiculous considering oreo's rock.
  • 302cupcake
    Options
    Nutella was sued, in a Class Action, over a year ago for making false claims as to the health value of their product. They have since changed their advertising and we're supposed to issue refunds, but the case is now being appealed.

Personally, I can't stand the stuff.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Gotta watch the "debil suga" don't get you!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Nutella is freaking amazing! I have been eating it as long as I can remember
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten Nutella, but I've heard it's amazing good. :bigsmile:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    That's genius. I'm gonna put Nutella AND Oreos on my next sandwich. :drinker:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't eat Nutella because it contains palm oil, but is there anyone who didn't realise that it contains a lot of sugar? I don't agree that sugar is terrible, by the way, but anyone who is surprised that it contains a lot of sugar, especially if they read the label, is a complete idiot.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I love it. I even put it in oatmeal...but I only use a few teaspoons of it and I count it in my daily total. I don't expect it to fill me up or give me nutrition....but it's delicious and it makes everything taste better. I honestly doubt anyone sees the commercial for it and then said "wow that looks nutritious". They're just parents with little time in the morning and they want a quick breakfast. But to be surprised that it has tons of sugar....it even smells sweet when you open it, how can you not think it's loaded with sugar. It's like poptarts. They have no nutritional value really...but they're sweet and awesome and once in a while they're pretty damn awesome.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    oh.
    you again.

couldnt you put your time to better use and go volunteer for a good cause instead of spamming MFP with anti sugar BS?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, now I want an Oreo sandwich. Yummers!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^2nd this!!!!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Hey guise, Nutella has lots if sugar in it.

4731624749_you_dont_say_xlarge.jpeg
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Nutella is delicious. And the label on the jar tells me exactly how much sugar is in a serving.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

How about Oreo ice cream sandwich?

Ultimate-candy-ice-cream-sandwich-zoom-640x426.jpg
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I guess its a good thing I have never tried Nutella...what you don't know you can't miss. :wink:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Or Oreo Cake?
    2z82qrs.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Or Oreo Cake?
    2z82qrs.jpg

Mini-Oreo-Waffle-Ice-Cream-Sundae.jpg
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Lame troll thread. I award you no points.