I don't understand this

Options
If people should eat 1200 cals, but want to burn 600 cals for exercise, then apparently u add that to amount needed to eat, meaning u should eat 1800 cals.

So does that mean either doing exercise or not, u still lose the same amount whether doing exercise or not?

Replies

• CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    If you use my fitness pal the way it is made, they give you calories to lose without exercise, which is why on this site they add the calories back in if you log your exercise.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    listen, you have 2 choices

1) sit on your *kitten* and lose weight by eating 1200 calories a day. Get slim, but still a bit flabby. Probably be pretty tired. Look good in clothes, but not naked.

or

2) you can eat 1800 calories, burn 600 by moving your body like we were built to do! get confidence, feel energized, build muscle, look awesome naked.

Your choice.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    In both situations you net 1200 calories, so you will still lose the same amount both ways. Exercising will allow you to eat more which is a plus and there are other health benfits for exercising as well.
  • EliteCon
    Options
    That's some physiology there...

The way you put it... Your making me force to think to do the second option, but the details you've said makes the results sound good, so il be picking the last one, but what if I do 1200 cals intake and burn 300-600 calories?

Is this going to give me same results as second option?
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options

1) sit on your *kitten* and lose weight by eating 1200 calories a day. Get slim, but still a bit flabby. Probably be pretty tired. Look good in clothes, but not naked.

or

2) you can eat 1800 calories, burn 600 by moving your body like we were built to do! get confidence, feel energized, build muscle, look awesome naked.

Third and fourth options:

eat 1,200 calories a day and exercise 600 cals a day.
    eat back some of the exercise calories
    or eat back none.
    experiment a little and see what works best for you. if you're dragging and don't have the energy for exercise, you should eat some more. If you feel fine and your health continues to be good, you're doing well.

Your choice.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

The way you put it... Your making me force to think to do the second option, but the details you've said makes the results sound good, so il be picking the last one, but what if I do 1200 cals intake and burn 300-600 calories?

If you eat 1200 calories and burn 300-600 calories, then you are only netting 600-800 calories which is really low. Undereating like this will cause you to lose lean body mass and in the long run it will screw up your metabolism. 1200 calories is the minimum net calories for females and netting under that in unhealthy.
  • donjessop
    donjessop Posts: 186
    Options

or

Your choice.
    This is probably the best summary I have read on why you should exercise while losing weight. Thanks
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without doing exercise, but it is one key reason so many diets fail. By exercising and eating back SOME or all of the extra calories you burn you can make dieting a LOT easier. I actually struggle to eat all the calories I'm allowed because of the amount I am burning. If I weren't exercising I'd be spending a lot of the day hungry and the diet would be far more likely to fail.

So if you burn 300-600 then add 200-500 to your intake.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's just so nice to be able to eat more because you get your butt off the couch, honestly, lol.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Just to reiterate what others have already said... dropping below 1200 calories per day, isn't smart... but you can exercise and not necessarily eat back all the calories you burn. If I recall, you're a 5'7 male, and at least 210 lbs, right? I don't think you're gonna want to be dropping to 1200 calories per day, for any length of time, anyhow. You gotta stay healthy. That's #1.