Best Boxing Gloves/Wrap for Working Out with Bag?

I have NO intention of actual boxing in a ring. So, I don't need "fighting" boxing gloves... that sure sounds redundant... But, they offer some boxing classes at my gym and they have hanging heavy bags available for working out whenever. I know from doing the Beach Body Combat workouts that punching is a heck of a workout... and that's just punching air. It really gets your heart rate up there fast. So, any of you with experience on that... what am I looking for in a glove and/or wrap for my purposes... just working out with the bag? Probably gonna kick it too. <g>

Replies

• Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    I use Everlast 12 oz training gloves and Mexican style (slightly stretchy with spandex, not 100% cotton) hand wraps - get the 180", not 108". Boxing is indeed an incredible workout, but please make sure you get instruction on how to properly punch so you are using your whole body and not just your arms and so you don't hurt your hands. An instructor at your gym can show you how to put on the wraps, or there are plenty of videos on YouTube.

I wish someone had told me when I first started that you don't have to go insane on the heavy bag to get a good workout... it's easy to overdo it! :)

Links to equipment I use:
    http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Pink-Pro-Style-Training-Gloves/dp/B000LPJOHO/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1381016406&amp;sr=1-4&amp;keywords=everlast+12+oz+women's+pro+style+training+gloves

http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Pro-Style-Hand-Wraps/dp/B000Y19KGA/ref=sr_1_24?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1381016455&sr=1-24
  • Title Gel Heavy Bag Gloves are perfect for punching a bag. I have a pair my self. You can find full review here: <a href="http://boxingglovesreviews.com/the-best-heavy-bag-boxing-gloves-review/">The Best Heavy Bag Boxing Gloves Review</a>

Then if you notice that the gloves are a bit too loose, you can also buy some bandages, they also will help to protect your hands. But I personally not using bandages, it feels pretty save with these title gloves.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Thanks for the input. I intend to go to the boxing workout class to get instruction. I know something about punching from Tae Kwon Do. But, want to learn more. It says to attend the class though, you are required to have gloves and wraps. So, I wanted to be prepared.
  • Doberdawn
    Follow-up question. I am female. My fingers are very long for a girl (3+ inches), But, my hands are still fairly delicate (e.g. measuring around the hand above the thumb between it and the forefinger, my hands wrap around with the tape at 8 inches). I'm new to boxing workouts so I'm not sure which size glove is right for me.
  • Doberdawn
    Follow-up question. I am female. My fingers are very long for a girl (3+ inches), But, my hands are still fairly delicate (e.g. measuring around the hand above the thumb between it and the forefinger, my hands wrap around with the tape at 8 inches). I'm new to boxing workouts so I'm not sure which size glove is right for me.

correction .... 7.5 inches around
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    They don't really sell different sizes other than kids vs adults. The ones I mentioned are "ladies" gloves but I'm not sure that means anything other than that they're pink :) All gloves close with velcro or laces so they "fit" your hand regardless, plus it's the wraps that really support your hand snugly. The main differentiator between gloves is their weight (e.g., 8 oz, 12 oz): more weight = more protection but also more work to hold your arms up with all that weight on your hands.

You're probably not going to have a lot of choices at your local sporting goods store; whatever they have is probably a good all-around pick. Alternatively, the instructors at your gym may have gloves and wraps they can lend you for the first class before you commit to buying your own.
  • Since you have a 7.5'' circumference, the best one for you is 12 oz gloves. Actually it is the common size for women and people under training. Competitive boxers go for 10 or 8 oz. You can find a wide range of gloves from Hata****a International, here is their site link: http://www.hata****a.com/productcart/pc/Boxing-Gloves-c7.htm. All the very best and enjoy boxing. :smile:
  • boxingglovesguides
    boxingglovesguides Posts: 1 Member
    Finding the best boxing gloves doesn’t have to be incredibly complex, and you don’t have to pay through the nose either. With this guide you’ll be able to find the right gloves for your needs, without breaking the bank.Best Boxing Gloves, Best Boxing Equipment,Best Heavy Bags,Best Punching Bags,Best Boxing Shoes.trgc9q8eplm8.jpg