Good Fat vs Bad Fat? Good Sugar vs Bad Sugar? Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I understand the whole "no food is good or bad in moderation" attitude but I thought it was pretty well established that trans fats were associated with increased risk of cardiovascular dz.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/66/4/1006S.short

IMO both the attitude that food is good/bad and the attitude that no food is good/bad are both oversimplifications.

But to the OP, in practical terms, don't worry about it.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    in to see the science that I am sure will ensue. :laugh:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Added sugar is not good for you. Additives are not good for you. Eating real food, will avoid most thing people label as "bad" and avoid confusion on your part. Having a tablespoon of sugar isn't' going to hurt you. but eating sugar promotes sugar cravings in many people. talking added sugar here. Natural sugars in fruits and veggies are good. The sugar added to some peanut butter (for ex)should be avoided (plus it makes it taste icky imo)

Other than the volume (dose), what exactly is the difference in "added" sugar and sugar in fruits and veggies? And could someone eat enough fruits and veggies to equal the amount of "added" sugar in another food? Also, why wouldn't the sugar in fruits and veggies promote cravings if a tablespoon of sugar would? What makes the sugar in fruits and veggies "good" and other sugar "bad"?
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Why does paleo promote grass fed meat then, which has higher amounts of trans fats?

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/the-health-benefits-of-grass-fed-meat-part-2/

Because the trans fat found in grass fed meat actually acts like CLA in the body which promotes fat loss is the short answer.

CLA is a trans fat, also the current body of literature shows it to be pretty worthless for body comp.

So are trans fats good or bad, the poster I responded to, sad they were bad.

I was referring to trans fats that occur during the processing of polyunsaturated fatty acids in food production.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    For me the only fat I avoid outright is hydrogenated oils.... Pretty much everyone can agree that they are BAD NEWS. I do eat lots of fat from avocados, dairy, nuts, fatty meats and fish (I actually buy the fattiest salmon I can get my hands on YUM), eggs and BACON. Before anyone chimes in with how "artery clogging" my food is, I should say that my lipid profile is "optimal" not merely good, not simply acceptable but "OPTIMAL"

As for carbs. I tend to see things like bread, pasta, rice, cakes, and candy as empty calories. I don't NEED them. I have plenty of energy without them.. They're really not giving me vitamins that I can't get more efficiently from another source so I don't eat them frequently.. Yes I still do eat them sometimes. They're not "bad" I just find that other foods give me more nutrients with fewer calories. .
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Excellent post Chablahblah. I agree with your summary. To elaborate, sugar (simple carbs) are currently thought to be among the most damaging things. They have replaced fats as being considered the culprits in the major diseases like cancer, heart disease and diabetes. But "all things in moderation" right? I disagree with the natural nutritionists who say all sugar is poison. Personally, I quickly become addicted to the stuff and do better off it, or trying to avoid it (tough to do when it's in everything including table salt!).
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Fats get a bad rap, which is a shame because they are essential nutrients your body needs just like it needs protein. Other than manufactured trans fats and poly-unsaturated fats that tend to go rancid more quickly, the rest really aren't that bad. In fact, the AMA is slow to do it, but there's been no proven link at all found between saturated fats and heart disease, so doctors need to stop telling people that they should avoid saturated fats for health reasons. Saturated fats are also very stable and not prone to oxidation. Avoiding dietary fats has not made people healthier. It's had the opposite effect.

I wish they would also stop telling people to use Canola oil as a healthy alternative. Rape seed oil is not fit for human consumption and has to be processed at high temperatures to be marketed as Canola oil. Because of those high temperatures, and processing most canola oil is starting to go rancid before it even hits your store's shelves. Olive oil, butter, coconut oil, and lard are much better and healthier alternatives. Nut oils are great too for salads and not heated to cooking temperatures.
  • briandahawaiian
    briandahawaiian Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Nice!!