trap bar dead lifts vs straight bar deads

Options
My PT has been working I=with me on trap bar dead lifts. On my own, I had worked up to 106 lbs. Started with a trainer. My best was 235. I was excited until my 16 year old son said the trap bar is different than the straight bar! LOL PT and I decided to start the straight bar since I was hitting a wall going up with trap. The first week, I lifted 5x5 at 135. No issues or soreness. He had warned me I would feel it more in my back. Next week, we went up to 155. I was doing a circuit of 3 lifts and 3 rows 10x. First few rounds were at 135. That was Tuesday. By midafternoon, my back was killing me. The next 3 days, was having trouble getting out of bed. My chiropractor had me ice the area, which md an amazing difference! I was terrified I damaged my back. Finally, today, I felt more normal which makes me confident it was just muscle soreness. PT wanted me to come in and do kb swings to recover from soreness but was afraid to add to an injury. Now, I think I should have. I would like some opinions or suggestions from experienced lifters. I want to progress but I am 45. I do not want to injure my back and end up in surgery. ANy insight or suggestions?!

Replies

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Trap bar dead lifts are different than straight bar dead lifts. They use a log more leg particularly quad. I don't much care for them except for a periodic fun thing.

I would be hyper critical of your form on both though.. However, the lower back issue may have just been volume. I've been lifting for many years and started a new deadlift cycle that has a lot of volume and I've had a lower back pump that made itself felt in bed as well.

Go do some kettle bell swings. They're pretty light. See how you feel.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend reading about deadlift form in "Starting Strength" and make sure you're feeling that you've got it right - make your trainer inspect you carefully. If your form is right, I think you should be able to do these lifts and progress without hurting your back.

A trainer or a video with others looking at it is the way to go to ensure your form is correct, ultimately, but it doesn't hurt to have read about what they're looking for so that when they critique your form you can compare it to what you know about the lift from a reputable source (i.e. rip).

Osric