Fat Burners?

Options
Been thinking about getting some OxyElite Pro fat burner to enhace my fat burning desire. I need to melt down all the fat in my midsection and its so hard to do. Anyone tried this or any other fat burners?

Replies

• KCW37
    KCW37 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    ive tried it they work well if you realize they are a supplement that you use with diet and excerise ... this isnt directed towards you im just saying in general
    but there are tons of fat burners out there they all do basically the same thing give you energy and include what they call themogenics which raise your body temp in turn burns fat but if anything go to a supplement store like a mom and pop store not a gnc ...gnc is way over priced and push things on you that they make extra bonuses on
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    There isn't a pill or a drink or a food or anything else that will "burn" fat. Fat loss occurs due to a calorie deficit. If you read the fine print on any "fat loss supplement" you will see something along the lines of "use along with a sensible diet and exercise program". The reason they say this is because a sensible diet and exercise program will cause fat loss to occur whether you take their pill or not. Save your money...
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've used them a number of times to cut weight for a meet. I wouldn't use them as a long term option. In my opinion, they do nothing more than help you dump water and suppress appetite. In addition, they have a stimulant effect that some people are sensitive to. I tried multiple kinds and some I can't tolerate and have had to stop after a short period because they make me twitch. Others were nice and almost gave a euphoric feeling. Overall however, unless you have to cut quickly, don't bother.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It is recommended to exercise and diet...so...why don't you just exercise and eat at a calorie deficit and save money?
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I used to live off ephedrine-based diet/energy pills when I was a teen. arguably, not the healthiest thing in the world, but they worked brilliantly for appetite suppression and mental focus. now that ephedrine has been banned for some years, all that's available are watered down ephedra-extract products, but I've tried a few different ones. they're not as good as the old stuff, and they do absolutely zip for my concentration but they do give my workouts a boost and help me go longer and harder than I could without them.

do your research, use with caution, consult your physician and all that other general disclaimer stuff.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Been thinking about getting some OxyElite Pro fat burner to enhace my fat burning desire. I need to melt down all the fat in my midsection and its so hard to do. Anyone tried this or any other fat burners?

Save your money. There is no way to increase noticeably thermogenesis aside from increased activity. That aside, you cannot target specific areas of your body, such as your midsection, for fat loss. Your body tends to burn fat across your entire body, not just one area.
  • juliewatkin
    Options
    I used to live off ephedrine-based diet/energy pills when I was a teen. arguably, not the healthiest thing in the world, but they worked brilliantly for appetite suppression and mental focus. now that ephedrine has been banned for some years, all that's available are watered down ephedra-extract products, but I've tried a few different ones. they're not as good as the old stuff, and they do absolutely zip for my concentration but they do give my workouts a boost and help me go longer and harder than I could without them.

do your research, use with caution, consult your physician and all that other general disclaimer stuff.

Where is ephedrine banned? We can buy bottles of it at any supplement store. It's also a great decongestant.
  • whierd
    Options

Where is ephedrine banned? We can buy bottles of it at any supplement store. It's also a great decongestant.

Ephedrine has been banned in the U.S. for about a decade now.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options

That's pseudo-ephedrine ...
  • whierd
    Options
    Hmm. Some quick reading says that Ephedrine is regulated and controlled now, but not illegal.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If fat burners really worked, no one would be fat. Sometimes they suppress your appetite for a couple of weeks, but then you get used to them, and they do nothing but make you jittery. Save your money.
  • sweet_blasphemy
    Options

That's pseudo-ephedrine ...

Yep, banned in US...

there is pseudophedrine, but Bronkaid and its generics, a common OTC med still contains ephedrine in conjunction with the expectorant guaifenesin so it's not a good idea to take Bronkaid as a diet aid because of the added ingredients. too much guaifenesin can make you hurl and can cause your body to become dependent on it to properly expel.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Ephedrine is also banned in Australia.

But yard work, coffee, sunshine and a decent work ethic aren't, so result!
  • sweet_blasphemy
    Options
    Hmm. Some quick reading says that Ephedrine is regulated and controlled now, but not illegal.

It's been banned as a dietary supplement. It's still in many Rx's and some OTC asthma/decongestants (Bronkaid)... Ephedra leaf extract is what has recently been reapproved for dietary supplements, but it's pretty weak compared to the ephedrine hcl alkaloids. there are also many species of ephedra plants and the FDA picks and choses which ones they deem fit for use in diet pills, from my understanding.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

In California--Ephedra supplements, but not over-the-counter medications that might contain ephedrine, are highly regulated and I don't think you can buy supplements here.

About 15 years ago I used this dietary supplement with ephedrine where if you drank this you could eat as much as your wanted and still lose weight. Yes, it did work, but it always had my heart beating so quickly that I felt like I was on speed or something. As soon as I stopped, I felt better, even though I gained all my weight back.

I don't know about other states, though.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I think that's accurate.
  • juliewatkin
    Options
    This is all interesting regarding ephedrine. We buy ephedrine hcl at any supplement store. I assume that's the same as pseudoephedrine. You learn something new every day.

I only concern myself with it's status with regards to WADA (World Anti Doping Association). For powerlifting, the use is banned in contest but not out of contest. It metabolizes pretty quickly but I wouldn't change it's use a few weeks out from a meet.

I still wouldn't recommend it as a long term solution to weight loss or suggest it's on-going long term use. It's a nice pop periodically but that's about it.
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Look on a different site or go to a sports nutrition store and ask. No one on MFP will help you because it goes against everything they believe in. Which is understandable because there are a lot of stupid people on here looking for easy ways to lose weight and most people end up abusing supplements like that and they generally arent good for you. But same with steroids and A LOT of people use them instead of just putting in the hard work.

Butttttttt I will give some HONEST advice:

When I first started I used synedrex (very powerful and kinda hard to find) I used it for a couple weeks, ate all my calories, and worked out a lot. It gave me energy, suppressed my appetite so I wouldn't over snack (sometimes had to forced myself to eat). I had to stop drinking coffee and caffeine while on it because sometimes I got jitters if I didn't work out right after taking it. I dropped a couple pounds but nothing crazy. It was expensive and it's recommended to only to in cycles. The only pros were that it kick started my work out motivation and helped me kick my binge eating habits. I've gotten used to only eating when hungry and not for any other reason.

If you're convinced it's something you need or want just do your research on it and be very aware of the side effects (jitters, no appetite, body temp rises, nausea). Most side effects don't last, but I do have a high stimulant tolerance.

I've talked to a lot of people who gain weight after they stop the supplements but its usually because they start eating a lot again and don't continue to work out.

So I'm not saying yay fat burners are awesome!! But I'm not saying don't do it or you'll be a horrible person and probably die. Either way they aren't necessary if you are able to eat healthy and work out.
  • juliewatkin
    Options
    Look on a different site or go to a sports nutrition store and ask. No one on MFP will help you because it goes against everything they believe in. Which is understandable because there are a lot of stupid people on here looking for easy ways to lose weight and most people end up abusing supplements like that and they generally arent good for you. But same with steroids and A LOT of people use them instead of just putting in the hard work.

Your advice sounds very similar to what I had advised. In fact it sounds very much like what other posters indicated.
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Your advice sounds very similar to what I had advised. In fact it sounds very much like what other posters indicated.

Which was posted while I was typing, after I only saw people posting the opposite. I sincerely apologize for obviously offending you.