Reusing water bottle and plastic risk

Options
Is this true? Reuseing your water bottles cause the plastic to leak into the water that you are drinking? We recycle our water bottles, by rinsing them out, then re-pouring new water into them, and stick them in the fridge. I hope that this is not true. :cry:

Replies

• kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    Options
    Is this true? Reuseing your water bottles cause the plastic to leak into the water that you are drinking? We recycle our water bottles, by rinsing them out, then re-pouring new water into them, and stick them in the fridge. I hope that this is not true. :cry:
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    I do the same , I have a water cooler at home but I prefer it in a water bottle as aposed to a cup. I have a big evian bottle I just keep refilling. There are so many stories on this finding it true or false its just annoying.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I hear that it grows bacteria. I reuse mine a couple of times.. I am looking for a stainless steal one that is not a coffee cup.
    Best bet is probably to get the hard plastic ones you can run through the dishwasher.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I just read an article about this in the paper yesterday:
    http://www.sacbee.com/830/v-print/story/864576.html

I've read some stuff about this, and yes - each time you reuse, microwave or do whatever with plastic stuff (this includes baby bottles, plastic liners, zip-lock bags,etc.) we are exposed to trace amounts of bisphenol. Rats in lab settings showed increased tumors, etc - however, remember the rats are given extraordinarily large doses (same as the nutra-sweet test, etc.)

I'm a little worried about this too, but I can't see myself walking around with a glass jelly jar just yet, winks. The studies are still in their infancy - so for the time being, I think moderation is key, as with most things.
  • krazykayzy
    krazykayzy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Most water bottles now have best before dates on them somewhere....my understanding is you have until the due date before chemicals start leaking into the water. My rule of thumb is I re-use my plastic water bottles until the due date and then I recycle them and buy new ones. Usually every 2-3 months.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    So what about Nalgenes, the bottles that Eastern Mountain Sports sells? I've had mine forever and I don't want to get rid of it. Well guess I will go read some articles now.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hi there,,, why not try a a nalgene bottle

http://www.nalgenechoice.com/

or there is all kinds of other brands that you will find in the camping sections of large shops,
    they are made of Polycarbonate plastic and are heat resistant, dishwasher resistant, and no odor or wierd taste, i've never tryed it but i wouldnt be scared of freezing them. they come in all shape and sizes. and a lot have mesuring marks that helps your knowing how much you drink. i would not recommand putting anything else then water in them, i have tryed it and its hard to get rid of what was there before. i have about 3-4 that i alternate from the dishwasher. and i carry one almost everywhere i go.
    they look good too!!!
    may
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Some of the Nalgene bottles have BPA, and some don't - here's a comparison chart so you can look to see what kind you have.

http://www.nalgenechoice.com/compare.html

Again, I would not throw out all Nalgene bottles (or other plastic stuff) - the risk has not been identified as significant. There are already "trace" amounts of all kinds of crap in our food, water, etc.
  • juleep007
    juleep007 Posts: 12
    Options
    I thought it only leaked toxins if the water bottle was frozen.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I thought it only leaked toxins if the water bottle was frozen.

No, my husband works for a plastics company and he tells everyone not to refill disposable water bottles. They are made to be disposable, and every time you wash them or "crinkle" them different chemicals are released.

Plus, it's better for Mother Earth (It's Earth Day on Saturday) to buy a reusable bottle. Last year, Americans bought 4 BILLION gallons of water in disposable, individual-sized bottles. That is a lot to throw away or even recycle! Glass, polypropylene, or aluminum is a better choice.

Here is a 5 min video from MSNBC. It's REALLY GOOD! It talks about the possible danger of Bisphenol-A in polycarbonates, like some Nalgene bottles and most baby bottles. Polypropylene and glass are both available, and better! (Dr. Brown's website offers polycarbonate, glass and polypropylene bottles.) I'm going with glass bottles for my next baby.

http://divinecaroline.com/article/22178/47688-video--plastic-water-bottles-safe
  • kaiyacali
    Options
    Aw man.... what is the perfect- non toxic water bottle?
  • kaiyacali
    Options
    You can't crinkle your bottles? Then what fun is it ?
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    bumping up~
  • abbychelle07
    Options
    Aw man.... what is the perfect- non toxic water bottle?

Glass, polypropylene, or aluminum is a better choice. Nalgene has some polypropylene bottles, and I went to a camping store (REI) and they had a bunch of different (and pretty cute!) aluminum ones.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Oh my!!! And I reuse my plastic water bottles ALL the time!!! I have one with a spout that is my favorite one and I don't even know how long I've had it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :noway:
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    today Ottawa Canada had decided to ban plastic baby bottles made with bisphenol A .... first country in the world here is an artical about it and why its being banned, makes you wonder what your drinking from:indifferent:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2008/04/18/bisphenol-a.html

j~
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    www.mysigg.com

is a swiss company that makes eco friendly reusable water bottles....I think they carry them at whole foods too....I'm getting a few for my family....w/ what I'm learning daily about the effect of toxins...I think its a good investment for us....especially for my son!

hugs!
    Ali scary stuff huh
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    hi there,,, why not try a a nalgene bottle

http://www.nalgenechoice.com/

or there is all kinds of other brands that you will find in the camping sections of large shops,
    they are made of Polycarbonate plastic and are heat resistant, dishwasher resistant, and no odor or wierd taste, i've never tryed it but i wouldnt be scared of freezing them. they come in all shape and sizes. and a lot have mesuring marks that helps your knowing how much you drink. i would not recommand putting anything else then water in them, i have tryed it and its hard to get rid of what was there before. i have about 3-4 that i alternate from the dishwasher. and i carry one almost everywhere i go.
    they look good too!!!
    may

The Today Show said that these were made of the bad stuff. Who knows. My mom swears that the reason cancer is so rampant is b/c of plastic. She has been on this band wagon for years. She claims that her mother's generation only used glass/corningware etc. Mayo and ketchup used to come in glass yada yada yada. maybe there is some truth to that, maybe not. I happen to have a love affair with old pyrex bowls and storage containers so I use of alot of that instead of plastic in the fridge anyway so that being said, I also love, love, love Propel water bottles. Could care less about propel itself (in fact, have bought the Propel and poured it out just for the bottle). So I reuse them for a long time..until they wear out. Am I going to die b/c of it? Who knows. But can it be any worse than the 4 diet cokes a day that I used to drink out of an aluminum can? Who knows. So maybe I won't keep my propel bottles as long as I have been, maybe I will. I have thrown out all the plastic cups my kids have collected from various restaurants b/c they did have one of the numbers on there that is supposedly bad. I kept my tupperware ones though. We are all going to die of something, that is the cold hard truth. I figure water is better than diet coke any day no matter what I drink it out of so for now, I keep my Propel bottle until I am convicted to do otherwise!
  • abbychelle07
    Options
    We are all going to die of something, that is the cold hard truth.

Funny! I try to be conscious of health things, but you can't be perfect, that is true!