exercising and getting fat, thick calves

Options
Hey everyone,

I've been exercising as much as I can for the past month. I've been running four times a week (excluding this week since I was at a funeral), doing yoga twice a week, and now-- starting on Friday-- I've been trying to put circuit training in my regimen for three times a week. Every workout is, on average, about thirty minutes long (excluding Yoga, which is 50 minutes). I've been trying to keep up with my eating habits, though this week hasn't been my proudest moments.

I've been gradually seeing a little bit of progress.

And yet, I've been getting thicker calves. I understand that this is due to muscle, but I'm a little discouraged because my calves, ankles and thighs are one of my worst spots that I've gained weight on. I have a twenty-inch circumference thigh, 13 inch ankle, and (although it was 15 inch a couple of weeks ago), it's been getting to that sixteen-inch range. I also know that I'm 5'1" which doesn't make it any better. Still, I have a twin sister who's 4'11" and has thin legs.

I don't really know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried stretches because I've heard that really helps-- and I know that running helps build muscles, and I've been focusing on how I land my feet too. But it just isn't progressing. And no matter what I do, I look worse and worse in my skinny jeans, to the point where I only look half-way decent in leggings now.

Does anyone have any workout or stretching advice that can help me get rid of the excess fat in my calves and ankles? Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It could be just fluid retention, from the increased exercise. That's temporary.

We can't target fat loss, but you can lose overall body fat by doing vigorous exercise often, and eating at a calorie deficit.

Avoid exercises that work your calves a lot, like the stairmaster and calf raises. When you run, land mid-foot, not on your toes.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It could be just fluid retention, from the increased exercise. That's temporary.

We can't target fat loss, but you can lose overall body fat by eating at a calorie deficit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    drink more water...probably water retention..

if you are eating in a deficit you should not be building muscle...although if you are a beginner you may have some newbie gains, combined with water retention. should go away in few weeks...