That $30 chest strap HRM from Wal-Mart?

Options
I just bought the Oregon Scientific SmartHeart heart rate monitor with vibration alert and tap on lens. Yeah, that whole thing was the name. I know I'm a cheap skate for buying it, but I need some help. I have read tha manual and can't figure out how to track calories burned while I'm exercising. I've got it set to where I can tap the screen and it shows my heart rate as a large number on the bottom and a smaller font number above with KCAL next to it. That should be the calories I'm burning. The problem is that this number doesn't continue to rise while I work out. It goes up and down with my heart rate. So how do I keep track of it?

Replies

• shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    you have to start the 'stopwatch' for the time that you want it to track calories. then the small number above your actual HR will scroll b/w ave HR, percent of max, and kcal (not necessarily in that order)
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    Oh! Do you guys like it?

The nice polar ones are out of my budget at the moment. I wouldn't want to waste $30 if it doesn't work so good, but if it were worth it I'd be able to buy some time till I spent a chunk of change!
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    it's okay. i am not sure if it tracks calories when your HR is below 100, though. I wore it when I did the 30 day shred for 30 minutes and it said I only burned 97 calories. If i were to use any other calculator for calories burned during 30 min. of circuit training, it estimates about 260. Big difference. Most ppl say their HRM show that they are actually burning MORE than the calculators, not LESS. But then my husband wore it to the gym and did about 1 1/2 hr workout with cardio and weight lifting and it says he burned 932 cal! So, my guess is that with my lower resting HR it is not as accurate. I have a resting HR of about 52. and sometimes during the workout my hr would be in the 90's even though I was huffing and puffing.

besides all that....it is easy to set up, easy to use and the price is right!
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i have had one for about 2 weeks and love it so far. at first i had a problem but i think it was bc i didnt wet the part on the strap before wearing it. since i started doing that not a problem. i too was too cheap to spend more than the $30 for this one. im not positive on how accurate it is..but im doing p90x and it says im burning between 350 and 450 calories each day except for my yoga day
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I am also using it for P90X. Yes I am glad someone knew what I was talking about as far as how to get the calories on there. Up until now I have been watching my heart rate on it while I work out. Getting an average heart rate during the work out and then going to
    http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/
    to enter my info and get an idea of how many calories I am burning. This has worked well for me, but it should be easier now that I know how my hrm works.

Thanks Shellgib:flowerforyou:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    bump. I got a $50 Walmart giftcard so I want an HRM and this might be just the ticket!
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info - I also am looking to buy a good (but cheap) HRM....never had one before. In reading about this Oregon Scientific one, I am a little concerned if the chest strap will fit around me comfortably. Anyone have any issues with that..?...I wear a 42 DD bra currently.....and am just wondering if i will be too big around for the chest strap to fit...?