Feedback on Yoga please!

Hi there,

I'm thinking about trying out Yoga tomorrow. I've been googling benefits of Yoga and what it has to offer benefits wise etc. I'm just looking for any feedback on Yoga for people who do it. I'm still trying to lose weight/get more toned...I'm not far from this years weight loss goal. My goal this year is to reach 130 and I'm currently at 134. I just want to be happy with my body I want to be more toned...My stomach is the hardest to lose! I did cardio for one full year, then I started weight training January 2013. I've lost 21 pounds and over 20 inches all together since my weight loss journey. I enjoy doing weights but looking to add something extra to my exercise. Any feedback for yoga on losing weight/getting toned/ or just feeling better about yourself. Feedback would be much appreciated!

Vanessa

Replies

• Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    There are different styles of yoga; you should research them and decide on which one meets your goals. I do yin yoga weekly - it is a very slow (stretching) style where you hold poses for upwards of 5 minutes at a time. I like it as an add on to my cardio and strength training because it adds balance to my cardio and strength training. The "flow" styles area much more energetic and get you sweating if you are looking for a workout in additional to improved flexibility. I am sure there are others more knowledgeable then me on the topic that could provide additional info.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Yoga is great for strength.....however, I really do it for the flow, the movement and the enjoyment. More than flexibility, more than cardio, and even more than strength, I think that yoga is beneficial for mobility, keeping all of your joints functioning through their optimal range of motion. Doing weights improves my yoga experience, but I also can't do weights as often because I take a strenuous yoga class, so there's a bit of tradeoff, a tradeoff in which yoga wins out because I enjoy it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Yoga is great for strength.....however, I really do it for the flow, the movement and the enjoyment. More than flexibility, more than cardio, and even more than strength, I think that yoga is beneficial for mobility, keeping all of your joints functioning through their optimal range of motion. Doing weights improves my yoga experience, but I also can't do weights as often because I take a strenuous yoga class, so there's a bit of tradeoff, a tradeoff in which yoga wins out because I enjoy it.

I agree with all of this. Yoga also helps with balance. If I were to only do weights, I would get very bored. Yoga adds an interesting element to break up the monotony and to help me with more than just basic strength. I didn't take yoga for a while, but was hitting the heavy (compound move) weights regularly. When I went back to yoga I realized that weights were not enough to maintain the type of strength (and flexibility) I previously had from yoga. Both are important (to me).
  • vanessamcinnis
    vanessamcinnis Posts: 204 Member

Thank you! How often do you do weight training? I only do weight training 3 times a week
  • vanessamcinnis

I agree with all of this. Yoga also helps with balance. If I were to only do weights, I would get very bored. Yoga adds an interesting element to break up the monotony and to help me with more than just basic strength. I didn't take yoga for a while, but was hitting the heavy (compound move) weights regularly. When I went back to yoga I realized that weights were not enough to maintain the type of strength (and flexibility) I previously had from yoga.

I like weights but I already finished my program I'm doing so I started doing it over again...so it will get repetitive and perhaps boring...but I'm getting great results from it...I'm thinking weight training and yoga on my opposite days would work out perfect.
  • ztaitaifufu
    ztaitaifufu Posts: 77 Member
    if your midsection is your trouble area, yoga would definitely be really helpful for you! belly fat and high cortisol have a high correlation, and yoga is one of the best things you can do to lower your cortisol, at least exercise wise. like she said there are tons of different styles to try so you're sure to find something that fits your exercise personality : )
  • BinaryPulsar

I agree with all of this. Yoga also helps with balance. If I were to only do weights, I would get very bored. Yoga adds an interesting element to break up the monotony and to help me with more than just basic strength. I didn't take yoga for a while, but was hitting the heavy (compound move) weights regularly. When I went back to yoga I realized that weights were not enough to maintain the type of strength (and flexibility) I previously had from yoga.

I like weights but I already finished my program I'm doing so I started doing it over again...so it will get repetitive and perhaps boring...but I'm getting great results from it...I'm thinking weight training and yoga on my opposite days would work out perfect.

Yeah, that's what I do. I would never give up weights. Both are important. I feel like only yoga and only weights wouldn't be enough for me. I'm also a dancer. I lift weights 3 or 4 days a week. And take yoga maybe 3 times a week.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    I'm a yoga junkie. LOVE it. I love feeling flexible, I love that it def makes you stronger as holding up your own body weight is no joke. I love that it helps you to calm your mind. Basically I just love the way I feel during and after. I would say giive it a shot for sure! You may find you can't live without it like me :)
  • vanessamcinnis
    Thanks so much for the feedback ! :) Has anyone noticed if they got really toned from it or lost weight? My sister loves it so I'm trying it with her tomorrow. She said she loves Yin, Hatha, she likes hot yoga the least...and yoga flow is fun but hard for her. I told her we should try them all out to see what I may like :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Thanks so much for the feedback ! :) Has anyone noticed if they got really toned from it or lost weight? My sister loves it so I'm trying it with her tomorrow. She said she loves Yin, Hatha, she likes hot yoga the least...and yoga flow is fun but hard for her. I told her we should try them all out to see what I may like :)
    You're not going to get "toned" from yoga, nor are you going to necessarily lose weight because of it.

It IS fantastic for flexibility and part of a program that I follow. That being said, I lift heavy 3 days a week, maintain a deficit, and then do yoga to keep myself bendy and clear.

...but don't expect just doing yoga to make you lose weight or get "toned."
  • vanessamcinnis

Yeah, that's what I do. I would never give up weights. Both are important. I feel like only yoga and only weights wouldn't be enough for me. I'm also a dancer. I lift weights 3 or 4 days a week. And take yoga maybe 3 times a week.

Thanks I also own an elliptical and I love it. I also just got a dog Norman so I will be doing lots of walking with him burning some extra calories :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    I like flow yoga, vinyasa, ashtanga, power yoga.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    I love yoga. I haven't really noticed much toning yet, but I've only been doing it for a short time (ashtanga, which is quite an athletic form - it certainly gets me sweating!). I'm working on improving my flexibility initially, and I'd imagine the strength side will take a lot longer. My first strength goal is to be able to push up from chaturanga into upwards facing dog without dropping my body to the floor (see below - the bottom two pictures). I can't say enough good stuff about yoga though - love the stretch you get with it!

1-_chaturanga-push-press-420x420.jpg
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    You're not going to get "toned" from yoga, nor are you going to necessarily lose weight because of it.

It IS fantastic for flexibility and part of a program that I follow. That being said, I lift heavy 3 days a week, maintain a deficit, and then do yoga to keep myself bendy and clear.

I agree with your sister. Hot is not my thing but yin is amazing and Hatha is what I do most days. I would say you probably won't lose weight from yoga alone. It will only do good things for you in that area though. It will HELP to trim things up but you need to be doing all the right things too. This is a wonderful book I love which is a memoir about how yoga can change your life and change the way you live your life ie: diet, etc. I highly reccomend it.

http://www.amazon.com/enLIGHTened-Pounds-Pineapples-Beagle-Pointer/dp/1602396396/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381080663&sr=1-1&keywords=yoga...how+i+lost
  • vanessamcinnis

I agree with your sister. Hot is not my thing but yin is amazing and Hatha is what I do most days. I would say you probably won't lose weight from yoga alone. It will only do good things for you in that area though. It will HELP to trim things up but you need to be doing all the right things too. This is a wonderful book I love which is a memoir about how yoga can change your life and change the way you live your life ie: diet, etc. I highly reccomend it.

http://www.amazon.com/enLIGHTened-Pounds-Pineapples-Beagle-Pointer/dp/1602396396/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381080663&sr=1-1&keywords=yoga...how+i+lost

Thanks ! I will have to check out this book
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    I love yoga. I do it primarily for relaxation and to improve my flexibility. To some degree for strength too, to complement my weight lifting.

I would say it has not contributed to my weight loss much, if at all, and did not make me "toned". I did yoga for years before starting to lose weight and get fit, and didn't notice any visible differences at all. It will help you lose weight if it helps you create a calorie deficit. How much of a calorie burn you get really depends on what kind you do, and how intense it is. If you're looking for big calorie burns though, yoga isn't the first thing I'd suggest.

I would say, do it if you enjoy it. Do it to improve flexibility. Do it to improve strength, especially if you're not interested in using weights. Do it to complement other forms of exercise, or if you are currently not exercising and want to try something not too strenuous. If you're looking for big calorie burns, or significant changes in body composition, you'll need to look at other kinds of exercise too.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Weight loss is dependent on a calorie deficit. Exercise is for fitness - yoga in particular is great for flexibility but isn't going to spot reduce your stomach area.

You will just have to keep focusing on reducing your body fat % (not necessarily your weight - just to note).
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member

That's how I feel about it. I think that it is wonderful for a balanced exercise program in addition to resistance training and cardio, but in and of itself it really isn't enough.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    I'm not sure what you mean by "toned", but if you mean helping to maintain your muscular physique and (depending on what style of yoga you choose to follow) even increasing muscularity, certainly increasing strength, while reducing fat % under a calorie reduced diet, then yes - yoga can help you achieve these things.

I practise Anusara style yoga (most like Ashtanga/Power styles) every day and supplement this with progressive bodyweight strength training. I find the two are a complimentary to each other.

I also do some cardio: swimming, road cycling and stationary cycling at home to spinning DVDs because it helps me to stay in the fitness mind-set and increases the amount of calories I can eat up to, or not, each day. Being a shorty at 5'3", I find eating at a calorie deficit without a bit of cardio each day can be depressing.

But yes, yoga will give back to you what you are willing to put in. Give it a go!
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Stretching and breathing and meditation are all very good for your health. You'll feel better, but it won't really do too much for your weight loss. Try it to see if you like it.