Injury getting me down - just need some encouragement

Options
Firstly, I just want to say, I AM NOT GIVING UP! I will stick at this no matter what.

With that said, I just feel a bit down today. After years and years of eating very unhealthily and not exercising I am finally getting fit and healthy. I feel so much better in general, my fibromyalgia is basically gone! However, I feel like one thing after another is affecting me exercising and I feel so discouraged today.

Firstly I discovered I had exercise induced asthma. This took about 6 weeks to get under control with the right meds, but now it is and it's all OK.

Secondly, shortly after that, I developed gallbladder issues. Although I had one acute attack since then it's just been 'grumbling' but a major symptom is feeling super full of food a lot of the time. I was feeling terrible on my Saturday AM exercise class despite not eating since the night before. Felt like I was going to be sick everywhere with being so "full". Had to do a lot of modified exercises and sit out some. I hate that, for the same reason I did when it was asthma... I want to only stop because I cannot physically make my muscles do that anymore. Not because of my stomach or my breathing!

And lastly, I've injured my hip doing a squat challenge. I checked my form and a fitness instructor told me my form was very good. However I have pre-arthritic changes in some joints (from carrying so much extra weight around) and must have pushed it too far. I've had bursitis in my knees before and this feels similar. It started Friday but was only a small occasional burning pain so I kept on going. Saturday morning I must've done 200+ squats because many of my modified exercises were squats! It got worse through the day. Then last night I got called out to a birth and by the time i got home I was in agony. If I sit down I often get a sharp pinging sensation in my outer hip that makes me cry out in pain. It's not just my outer hip anymore, it's spread right around my thigh, hip, butt, etc. It's so tender to the touch as well as sore when I walk/drive/sit on a hard surface.

I'm going to try and get a Dr. appt tomorrow but I'm sure I'm going to need to take a break from this sort of exercise for a while. And for the first time in my life I am actually LOVING to workout - especially the classes! I seriously love them. And the prospect of not being able to do them really gets me down. I just feel like throwing my toys out of the pram because after so many years I am doing things right - and gradually too.. and yet more roadblocks keep getting thrown in my way. But I WILL keep on walking the road, nothing will stop me. I just needed to vent and I need someone to say 'it's ok'. Please no negative replies. Thank you for reading.

Replies

• incredibleshrinkingjackie
    Options
    hi! just keep up that attitude of "nothing is going to stop me" and you will be ok.

i understand completely because after years and years of sitting around doing nothing and getting fatter and fatter, i too have began to exercise and eat right and lose weight. on wednesday i fell of my bike and hurt my left knee (formerly known as my "good knee"). so i have to rest it, wrap it, ice it and stay off it for a week. but i WILL NOT let this get me down or derail my plans.

i am going tuesday and wednesday to swim laps to get in some exercise. do you have a pool near you? water exercise is so much easier on the joints. and hopefully friday i will be able to walk on the treadmill and do my aquacise class.

so, we are in this together, my friend, and we will PERSEVERE! add me as a friend if you want to.

jackie
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. You have already lost 50 pounds-that is quite an accomplishment. Please don't be too hard on yourself. Talk to your dr about other things you might be able to do while you heal-and don't push too hard too soon. If you give your body enough time, you are less likely to re-injure the same place again. A thought for you is that maybe you could do some light swimming? I know it's recommended for ppl who have a hard time with joint pain. Ask your dr. He/she might even be able t give you a prescription for swimming as physical therapy-and your insurance might pay for you to swim.

Remember-it is just a temporary setback. I sprained the crap out of my ankle last year and had to sit with it elevated for weeks and weeks. It was awful, but necessary. I still have to baby it a little, a year and a half later, but I am currently 28 lbs less than I was this time last year, even after a summer of eating crap and not exercising enough. In the bigger long term picture, this is just a blip, so take care of yourself and heal then you can get back after it. In the meantime, figure out what you can do and do that until you are able to do more.
  • 1aurane
    1aurane Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Keep on keeping on!! ...I also have health issue's which I let 'get to me' but now I have thrown down the gauntlet ...I am now determined to lose my excess baggage ...power to you ...DON'T GIVE UP!! ... :smile:
  • catita1025
    catita1025 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and don't give up - even if you have to make some temporary adjustments!

I've dealt with a lot of injuries over the years...too much to express here. Yes, it's very frustrating. Even if you're not able to go to the classes that you love (and I know how that is!) there may be some other things you can do in the meantime. I don't want to sugarcoat anything, but you never know if you'll discover something new that you can also enjoy. I'm also saying that from experience. There were some things I was not been able to do safely for years...so I had to make some choices. I'm finally able to go back to some of these activities...and yes, for the others that I can no longer do, well, I miss them but I've now replaced them with other things.

Hopefully you'll be able to get back to your favorite activities soon. You've done very well, so even though you may feel discouraged try to think about all that you've accomplished. Best wishes! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You may ultimately discover that you need to do different exercises. I'm finding out over this past year that I just can't do a lot of "pounding" on my joints. I'm cycling a lot more and swimming. I'm probably going to have to give up running due to some chronic tendon issues in both of my feet and knee issues. Cycling and swimming are absolutely doable and much easier on my body while still maintaining a good cardio fitness base.
  • fuzzball01
    fuzzball01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and don't give up. I am fighting injury as well so I do understand. You have come so far. I know its hard but try to stay positive. I have been fighting mine for 4+ months. It seems like you are doing all the right things. Give your body time to heal and maybe take a little bit of time off from exercising till you can get into to see the dr. You will beat this!!! Stay strong!!!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You have the right attitude. Remember diet is 80 to 90% of the equation. Exercise is still important but try to accommodate different exercises to help heal your injuries. Thank you for the inspiration.
  • AmberRheaL
    Options
    When it rains it pours, right?

You have the right attitude overall (amazing, actually!). You're just having a crappy time at the moment! I know you love the classes but give your body some rest. Do some low impact walking to keep yourself busy. Work on the upper body, maybe? I have arthritis in my knees it's super frustrating to have to go about all this so slowly. So.. I kind of know what you're going through.

My friend recently got Plantar Fasciitis. She's had to stop running for the time being and she's just concentrating on walking and upper body work until she can hit the pavement again.
  • Maribee112
    Options
    Add me. I just had knee surgery, I'm starting physical therapy this week. I feel for you, been injured while working out. Don't give up.
  • Nix_Way
    Nix_Way Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yes.. hang in there! I have arthritis in my back and knees so I know what its like to have to work so hard to do any little thing. I just started walking about a week ago and my back is aching as usual, but I also know that with arthritis (and me being only 33) I have to push past the pain to keep walking and moving or else I totally freeze up. Like.. I can't get out of bed freeze up! I'm too dang young to keep living like an invalid!!
    Feel free to add me too! I get so much support from MFPals that I feel like I don't know if I could do this with just me cheering myself on! We are all her to help each other and THOSE are the friends I am looking for!
    I'm so sorry it all seems to be happening all at once. That could really get you down! My thoughts are with you and I hope the Doc finds something that will help.
    Nix
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I feel like getting fit stirs up all the problems with your body that have been resting in the sand on the ocean floor until now.

Keep your chin up - this is what evolution is gonna feel like sometimes <3
  • Lavinia2You
    Options
    You have a great attitude, but I so understand what you're saying. I have Multiple Sclerosis and a few other health issues. I can't predict what I'll be able to do as far as exercise goes on a day to day basis. My son is a personal trainer and he says that contrary to what most people think, you don't have to exercise to lose weight. So, when I can't exercise, he recommends putting all that energy into eating right.

I will never be able to do the strenuous exercise most people can. I keep trying, but only end up worse. So, I tweak what I CAN do. I can walk - so I increase my mileage by a bit each time. To keep it from getting boring, I stop and do stretches on curbs or stairs along the way. I stretch my shoulders as I walk. In addition, I have different soundtracks for different moods, and I listen to books on tape or podcasts that are interesting or encouraging to me. And of course, I change routes often and go for a hike once a week, out in nature. It works for me.

Hope this helps a little. Hang in there. You are an amazing person on her way to achieving everything her heart desires!