Hello everyone

Options
Hi, my name is Stacy. I am married with 5 kids, 3 teens, and 2 babes. I have been serious about what I eat for the last two months. I started losing weight, and then nothing. So disturbing! I realized that I need to be on a strict calorie intake, and walk more. My major problem is that I am cooking and feeding kids for 12 hours a day. If they have leftovers, and not enough to save, I then take a bite, and then another bite, because I am hungry, and it looks so good. I do really well for most of the day, then at dinner time I am tired and don't have the resolve to stay away. I am hoping this website will help me keep on track. Is there someway to see other peoples daily food logs, or is that private? I would be interested in what people stick to all day. Anyways, I am going to be strong, and read everything you guys talk about and eat right! Thanks in advance for all your help!!

Replies

• stacyandkids
    Options
    Hi, my name is Stacy. I am married with 5 kids, 3 teens, and 2 babes. I have been serious about what I eat for the last two months. I started losing weight, and then nothing. So disturbing! I realized that I need to be on a strict calorie intake, and walk more. My major problem is that I am cooking and feeding kids for 12 hours a day. If they have leftovers, and not enough to save, I then take a bite, and then another bite, because I am hungry, and it looks so good. I do really well for most of the day, then at dinner time I am tired and don't have the resolve to stay away. I am hoping this website will help me keep on track. Is there someway to see other peoples daily food logs, or is that private? I would be interested in what people stick to all day. Anyways, I am going to be strong, and read everything you guys talk about and eat right! Thanks in advance for all your help!!
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I doubt we could share logs if we wanted to. I wouldn't want you knowing how many days I missed my mark, now would I? =)

There are lots of great posts here with ideas and recipies and links to other helpful sites. I've only been at it a couple of weeks myself and I've found this site to be a great help and inspiration.

So, hello and welcome!
  • stacyandkids
    Options
    You're funny! I will check out those links. Thank you!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Hi Stacy,

Since I can't share my log with you...I eat a lot of fruit and veg...this and upping my protein intake has helped me to kick myself into gear. (and I'm glad you can't see my logs from my bad days, either ;)

What I found for me, is that if I keep my tank full during the day...I'm not starving at dinner time and after (which used to be my problem)... Maybe you're not eating enough during the day? It's just been my experience. Also, the protein has helped me not have cravings... I read that if you're deficient in protein, your body craves carbs because it needs energy.

There is a lot of support here, best of luck to you.
  • nelliemorgan77
    Options
    Hi Everyone. Hi Stacy.. I am new here too. I have 6 kids and I am not very active. (which I know is bad)...anyway ...I don't really eat very much but I am 145 at 5' 1. My goal is for at least 120lbs. But I think my problem is that I drink several cups of coffee a day. I don't know if the coffee is bad but I have a feeling all the sugar in my coffee is. I have decided to try to cut it out. This morning I started strecthing and this evening I hope to walk or something. Other than that for lunch I had a tuna salad and 2 slices of whole wheat. I have to stay at home because I still have 2 small children who are not in school. I cannot wait to be able to work outside the home but if I don't improve my stamina, weight, etc. I will not be in very good shape when that time comes.
    Well if anyone ever needs an ear or wants to talk or whatever just let me know and I'll give you my email or IM.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    stacy,

Welcome!

What has helped me is to eat small portions, but 6-times-a-day. I know everyone is tired of hearing me say that, but it does keep my blood sugar stable, I'm not hurngry: and it was recommended by the nutritionist and trainer at my health / fitness club.

The other thing - maybe eat something just before you fix food for your kids to curb the urge to graze from their menu. You're probably not going to be able to continue to eat what your kids eat; since they are generally able to burn them off more easily. If they are also overweight, it is actually easier to eat, because then they are eating the same food as you are. You didn't say, but it seems that they don't have a weight problem yet? Good for you for setting an example of healthy eating for them to learn!

Good luck and keep us updated!!!
  • bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    AMEN

cmriverside is so right once you get your portions down and your eating 5 to 6 times a day it gets a lot easier. Diets where you can eat all you want of somethings and not other foods are doomed for failure. Eat what you want at first and then start cutting the excess off. For example I love tuna with gobbs of mayonnaise in it. SO now i have choices to make A: eat a very small portion or B: use mayo made with yogurt and have a little more. Also I always try to balance my three main meals. Here is a typical day for me.

breakfast: 2 hardboiled eggs
    snack: large carrot
    Lunch: chicken and vegies
    snack: 1 ounce almonds
    Dinner: White fish cooked in lemon with capers served with a vegies
    Snack :apple sauce

At least two meal a week I don't eat a protein and stick to salad or vegies generally at lunch time.

hope this helps