please help....

Options
I am so upset right now i really don't know what to do, back in august i upped my calories to 1200 after being really silly on a vlcd, i ignored using the scale, i do cardio everyday and keep to my calories without fail.
I weighed myself today and i have gained 2 stone, i thought i was looking better, and my confidence was great my face looks smaller but my jeans are tighter when i tried them on before using the scale.
I really dont know what is happening im mortified and i just feel like giving in completely i feel physically sick because i am putting the effort in it would be easier to accept a gain that big if i was careless but im not please any thoughts anyone?

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Your jeans were tighter, but they were the same jeans you were wearing before? It sounds like you might have put on some weight, but 2 stone sounds a lot for just having your jeans feel tighter. Are you using the same scales?

I can understand you must feel awful, but don't for a second think about giving in. Instead, look at what's gone wrong and what you can do to fix it. Are you consistently eating 1200 calories now? Weighing and measuring and tracking everything? Have you got pictures taken of yourself back in August, and now? Something just doesn't sound right.
  • khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Your jeans were tighter, but they were the same jeans you were wearing before? It sounds like you might have put on some weight, but 2 stone sounds a lot for just having your jeans feel tighter. Are you using the same scales?

I can understand you must feel awful, but don't for a second think about giving in. Instead, look at what's gone wrong and what you can do to fix it. Are you consistently eating 1200 calories now? Weighing and measuring and tracking everything? Have you got pictures taken of yourself back in August, and now? Something just doesn't sound right.

i understand that after a vlcd your body does hold on to water or there is a gain but yes 2 stone the scale reads, they are the same as i have been wearing just not wore them in a long time, i really don't know what to do :(
  • khadijak17
    Options

Thanks for posting this, one of the reasons im so upset is because i actually measure everything, weigh everything and don't eat out, if i do i always log it in and account for it, i don't do cheat days any more either and don't eat my exercise calories back maybe a few but not all as i know that its only an estimate
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Could it be that you have overworked yourself and your body is rebelling? If you are doing an hour of cardio every day, it may be too much. You also seem to be very close to goal and 1200 calories may not be enough. You may need to eat closer to maintenance and give your body a couple of rest days.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    What was the VLCD? It might take some time for your body to come back from that. Your metabolism may have adapted to an extreme diet and you may need to be patient now while it adapts again to your new healthier intake. If you search on here, you'll see a few discussions about this. I will go see if I can find a few links for you.
  • khadijak17
    Options
    Could it be that you have overworked yourself and your body is rebelling? If you are doing an hour of cardio every day, it may be too much. You also seem to be very close to goal and 1200 calories may not be enough. You may need to eat closer to maintenance and give your body a couple of rest days.

i don't know what is going on with my body im so hurt its unreal, 2 stone is alot of weight and i just shudder at the thought of trying to get back to my weight again as i was only 7lbs from my goal
  • khadijak17
    Options
    What was the VLCD? It might take some time for your body to come back from that. Your metabolism may have adapted to an extreme diet and you may need to be patient now while it adapts again to your new healthier intake. If you search on here, you'll see a few discussions about this. I will go see if I can find a few links for you.

Thank you so much :) it was 800 calories a day i know it was a terrible thing to do but i really do regret it now, i am trying to do whats better for my body now but its going wrong :(
  • RLPearce92
    Options
    hey can i ask did you lose a lot of weight on the vlcd? i could be wrong but if you lost weight on the diet but then went back up to 1200 calories because your body was in starvation mode the weight + more has come back on. That tends to happen a lot with restrictive diets.
    But dont lose heart i can understand how upset you are but look at the positives, you can still fit in the jeans!
    2 months is still a short time scale in relation to wanting to lose weight and keep it off, your body has probably felt overworked and is a bit up and down at the minute.

if you are eating 1200 a day but doing an hour cardio a day that is still a big calorie deficit, mfp calculates a deficit without exercise, so it still might not be enough calories. Give your body a few days rest, eat some good food and dont panic the weight will come back off
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Thank you so much :)
    We discussed it here just the other day. A lot of advice and a bit of bickering over terms was knocked around, but there's a lot of knowledge in there. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1107580--metabolic-damage?hl=Metabolic+damage
    Heybales and Geekyjock76 both had excellent posts in this thread, which you may find helpful.
  • khadijak17
    Options
    i did lose weight on it, i can't get my head round 2stone! i have been eating at deficit for a couple of months now and the number on my scale is so extreme, i was prepared for a gain but not that bad i actually thought id started to look better than before so i dont know what is happening!
    I dont know how to post pics up otherwise i could of put two up in that time frame for you guys to see x
  • RLPearce92
    Options
    have you tried measuring inches as a weigh to record a loss, you say that you felt that you started to look better than before? that's great, changing your lifestyle should make you feel better not be judged by a number on a scale. also remember if you build up any muscle that can weigh more than fat but you would still look smaller and fitter.
  • khadijak17
    Options
    but my jeans are tighter than before also its a week before tom does that make alot of difference? i didnt think it would as a week is still time, if it was 2-3 days i would think something of it?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Put the scale away for now. It's not worth it as a tool if it upsets you this much. Go back to basics: Recalibrate everything. Eat enough food. Maybe think about strength training vs so much cardio. I liked the suggestion of using a tape measure rather than the scale, because that will give you a better idea of what exactly you are gaining or losing (muscle vs fat).

:flowerforyou:
  • khadijak17
    Options
    thanks for the reply guys i really appreciate it, i really dont know how long its going to take for this crappy feeling to go, hope its soon as i really do feel awful i have not used the scale in ages but just to see what my body was doing i thought id give it a go x