2»

Replies

• Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I give up Ruby, I'm not argumentative by nature so I won't continue in this debate.

I know that YOU know what a tbsp is, for God's sake anyone with half a brain knows. You aren't a "newbie", like folks are presuming.
    A tablespoon is....measure your tbsp....level it off with a knife.There is your tbsp. NOT rocket science.

I happen to have a scale, measuring tablespoon, a normal tablespoon, and a jar of smooth peanut butter handy, so I went and did a little experiment, just now.

Serving size according to label: 15g (1 tbsp)
    One "human" tablespoon: 28g
    One "measuring" tablespoon, leveled: 26g

And I will say this - anybody who claims getting a tablespoon of peanut butter requires one to only "level it off with a knife" has clearly never done it, that is sticky gooey stuff that doesn't level off cleanly at all.

So I'm afraid the others are right, for anything volume-measured in that diary, double the calories. Which means the OP is most likely simply eating more than she thought she was.
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Ah, thanks for trying it out. I don't owns scale so I guess I'll throw out some cash real fast to get one. PB is a big source of fat for me so it'd be worthwhile. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. The bank I was using to measure chicken was supposedly taking into account post-cooking weight but apparently not. I'm glad I got a second check.

I just checked my PB and 2T is 32g. I have three different sized tablespoons in y cabinet and use the smallest one (luckily)... The smallest one could probably be fit twice into the biggest one... huge discrepancies. Thanks again for the insight!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I take the information from the food bank on MFP, I do not control what is listed, but I can try to do another search.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep chugging on...

Ruby,

I was doing that too until I started reading packages, as well as looking up nutritional information by brand name online, and found that MFP is often too high in their calorie estimations for both food and exercise.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Dont automatically trust the numbers. They are entered by members and are often incorrect. It is good idea to look for confirmed numbers. If you eat the same few things on a regular basis it is easy enough to confirm the data is correct by going to a site such as nutritiondata.self.com.

Get a gram scale and you'll probably figure out real quick where you estimation problem lies. Its ok to fudge on items that aren't calorically dense such as greens, but nuts, cheese, and fats should be weighed. You could easily underestimate by several hundred calories per day.
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: Thanks for the replies. I bought a food scale and...
    1) My tablespoon is correct! Tried it on peanut butter and mayo, and they were both spot on!
    2) I have been underestimating my meat intake slightly. A piece of beef I guessed at 2oz was actually 11.7oz!

I did remove pb from my diet and chose mayo instead. I also turned to beef instead of chicken and two days later there's a difference in the mirror!

Needless to say, my scale is my new buddy,

I also researched my food log measurements and my chicken was off, beef and tuna are fine. That is fixed and now works nearly exactly.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Ruby, that's wonderful! It's all about forward movement.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: Thanks for the replies. I bought a food scale and...
    1) My tablespoon is correct! Tried it on peanut butter and mayo, and they were both spot on!
    2) I have been underestimating my meat intake slightly. A piece of beef I guessed at 2oz was actually 11.7oz!

I did remove pb from my diet and chose mayo instead. I also turned to beef instead of chicken and two days later there's a difference in the mirror!

Needless to say, my scale is my new buddy,

I also researched my food log measurements and my chicken was off, beef and tuna are fine. That is fixed and now works nearly exactly.

Ha! Great to hear!

Now you can start telling people "you need to eat more if you aren't losing. I went from 2 oz portions of meat to 4 oz and started losing weight"