Studying Snacks

Options
adepko
adepko Posts: 58 Member
Whenever I study or work on assignments, it seems like I need some sort of snack to keep me focused. Does anyone have any low calorie, yummy study snacks that are go-tos? :)

Replies

• Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    what about celery and peanut butter?
  • SaraAxm
    SaraAxm Posts: 30
    Options
    I would not recommend peanut butter - way to calorie dense and easy to over-eat on.

All kinds of vegetables are good low calorie snacks. Just try and see what work and what fits into your daily calorie goal.
  • adepko
    adepko Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    what about celery and peanut butter?

I'm not a celery fan. I wish I was!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Popcorn...low in calories, but will also fill you up.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If I want to eat pretty mindlessly, I make myself a big fruit salad. An apple with peanut butter should also give you lots of energy, but measure the pb out first. I also like hummus with some chips and bell pepper strips, but you should also measure the chips out first.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    sugar free suckers if you are ok with non natural artificially flavored things :happy: Keeps your mouth busy, sweet tooth satisfied and no calories
  • parkekat
    Options
    My usual go to study snacks are a sliced up apple or carrot sticks or if i need a hit of protein i add a light string cheese or a hard boiled egg white. if i need something sweet i grab a fat free 90 cal yoplait light or a half cup of chocolate fiber one cereal
  • farahbartlett123
    Options
    To be honest I would just say why do you need to snack whilst studying! I know I use to always think that way but there's no need. It's just a habit, habits aren't easy to break but are made to be broken. Just wait till your meal time and eat. Just think to yourself: I'll finish this work and then I'll have my lunch. Just fill up lots of bottles of water and drink lots and lots whilst working

Hope this helps
    x
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm still having this problem myself.

My study snack fixes so far:
    Rabbit plate (hard chew veggies) plus boiled egg, cheese stick (whatever in moderation plus a load of crunchy veggies)
    Dry cereal plus a few tasties (like nuts/raisins) mixed in
    Popcorn - maybe with a few tasties like above mixed in
    Apple slices plus a tbs of PB or almond butter and a load of cinnamon (might put on side of another of above choices)
    Big A Salad (huge salad with loads of crunch)

I try to think in terms of a "platter" of food I can munch slowly through with minimal damages

I tried to break the habit - I was so obsessed with finding food that I took twice as long to write a paper than I should. I need the soothing part of it apparently for me to focus? I don't know - but trying to cut it cold turkey was ugly.
  • FluffyKangaroo
    FluffyKangaroo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sliced apple/celery sticks/ carrot sticks and sugar free organic peanut butter :) YUM!
    Or if you're not a peanut butter fan, celery or carrot with hummus is just as healthy!
    This will fill you up, it's easy to snack on and very healthy :)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    To me....studying with snacks usually means having something to mindlessly reach for and munch on while working. This might be a habit to try to break, as there are very few things you can eat a lot of mindlessly without ingesting lots of calories. One of the habits of many people who find weight loss success is "mindful eating", meaning, pay attention to each snack and meal, and not using food to just fill a void.

Having said that...sometimes you just need something!

Mini pretzels...you still have to pay attention to portion size, of course, but bc they are little, if you eat them one at a time, that's a decent number of pieces.
    Popcorn...again, watch portion size but you can eat several cups of popped popcorn for a couple hundred calories.
    Baby carrots, celery sticks, cut bell peppers, cucumber...and dip. You can make great dips with fat free plain Greek yogurt.
    Pita chips and hummus or dip. If you take a pita, open it and split it into the 2 sides, then cut it into triangles (the way you'd cut a pizza) and put them in the toaster oven, or regular oven, and viola, homemade pita chips! (Joseph's oat and flax pita are only 60 calories)
  • Jaymestar
    Jaymestar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Most of the suggestions here are what I go for: fruits and vegetables and the like. Cereals and oatmeal is very good as well.
    What I find most comforting while I study though, is Hot Chocolate. I get the 100 calorie hot chocolate for home and have it on occasion :)
  • Bama56
    Bama56 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i heavily associate snacking with studying, and have found that one of my favorite things to snack on is fresh raw green beans.
  • mellieinkc
    Options
    I am trying to break the habit of snacking while I am working so I have started chewing gum. You might try it. :smile:
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    YES! Gum. Works for me part of the time. I have been using it for some of my study snacking successfully. My mouth just needs to be involved to concentrate maybe?
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Jicama is a good choice for a veggie snack--crisp and a little sweet.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Oven baked kale chips ;)
    Look up a recipe on Google. It's good stuff!

Edit (added recipe):
    http://www.ivillage.com/baked-kale-chips/3-r-153632
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    My go to study snacks are:

90 calorie pack of edamame

One sliced banana, one tbsp crunchy peanut butter sprinkled with cinnamon, and a cup of skim milk.

100 calorie tubs of pringles chips and a diet pepsi.

60 calorie colby jack string cheese.

baby carrots with hummus or pita chips with hummus.

slice of thin sliced wheat toast, 1/2 cup of black beans, a pinch of taco seasoning and 1/8 cup of reduced fat shredded cheddar.

Laughing cow baby bel cheese.

Jello temptations sugar free chocolate mousse, with one mini candy bar (snickers, butterfinger etc..) crumbled up inside and mixed together and topped with one tbsp of sugar free whipped topping.

A few tablespoons of frozen sugar free whipped topping. (Taste like ice cream!)

Popcorn

100 calorie pack of dark chocolate pomegranate seeds or dark chocolate espresso beans

Boiled egg and a string cheese.

Grilled pineapple slices with 1 tbsp sugar free caramel sauce.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    1st of all, absolutely noting wrong with snacking if that's what suits you, and you account for it etc.

Snacking only when studying though - I agree that it is a habit that could be broken. I've recently had an intense period of studying/exams, and was a bit worried I'd be constantly snacking throughout. Normally I'm a lunch + dinner and after dinner snacking only girl. It's funny how much I've noticed other people talking about it, talking about the chocolate they've stocked up on, or how they've done an hour of study, so time for 3 biscuits, or whatever. It's so easy to fall into that mentality, but really, it is just a habit. I've just stuck to my normal eating pattern, and it's been fine. I've drunk a bit more coffee than normal, but that's it.

BUT like I said, nothing wrong with snacking if you really want to, or it genuinely helps you concentrate. If I was going to do it, I'd probably stick to popcorn, sunflower/pumpkin seeds (make sure you weight them out!) or kale chips.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I second what a lot of other users have said: popcorn, veggie plates, measured out portions of chips/crackers with hummus. I like things that are crunchy to snack on.

I also second the idea of hot chocolate! An instant hot cocoa with milk is great - nothing cheers me up while I'm looming over my textbooks like hot cocoa and a view of the falling leaves. And I find that the warm milk keeps me full and the sugar keeps me energized.