Eating Clean?

Options
Hey there! I hope this message finds everyone well!

About three months ago I cut meat out of my diet except for fish and seafood. I plan to cut that out as well but figured it would be easier and more realistic for me to accomplish this if I taper off rather than doing a clean cut. My question is, since I've been cutting meat out, I've been reading more about eating clean or raw.

Was wondering if someone can shed some light on this? I eat a lot of pre- packaged foods (lean cuisines, smart ones, etc) and to my understanding, this is the opposite of eating clean, lol. Can someone please share exactly what eating clean or raw is and explain some of the benefits? Thanks!

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Yea me too, I want to know what today's definition of "Clean Eatting" is?
  • greyoutside
    Options
    Clean eating is great and everyone is going to have slightly different guidelines for it. As I see it, clean eating is just opting for unprocessed and unrefined foods. By eating this way, you get more vitamins and minerals per calorie content, or more micronutrients per macronutrient intake. For some people, clean eating also includes eating ~6 small meals a day, but I find that this doesn't work for my body (smaller meals and lots of snacking works for me, though!). It can definitely be tough, because it means doing a lot more cooking, but making meals ahead of time or doing slow cooker meals can really take the burden off. :)

People might be upset about this, but it's true so: the raw diet is a huge sham. You actually get fewer nutrients out of a raw diet (which is why people tend to lose weight on it) because your body can't break down that kind of quantity of raw plant matter.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    For more info on eating a raw diet a good book is 12 Steps to Raw Foods: How to End Your Dependency on Cooked Food, by Victoria Boutenko.

Clean eating is a subjective term and you'll get a bunch of different answers.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Same here, my daughter in law is eating clean she says and has chopped out bread, cakes , sweets, desserts etc. She like me eats lots of veggies, some vegetarian meals, but also eats a lot of fish and lean meats.
  • Chellellelle
    Chellellelle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Eating clean means eating as few processed, packaged foods as possible. This means you eat a diet consisting of fruits and vegetables (cooked, or raw), meats, nuts, etc. Basically if it was pre-packaged and has more than 1 ingredient in it that isn't natural (natural flavors are NOT natural) and clean. So lean cuisines and those pre-packaged meals are not clean at all. Clean eating is so simple to grasp onto, but very hard to actually do since it requires time and a lot of effort.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Yea me too, I want to know what today's definition of "Clean Eatting" is?
    I want to know too. And why did this thread have to happen after I had all my alloted calories for today? Now I have to make room for popcorn. :angry:
    2hnrs53.gif
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It depends who you ask. Ha.

For instance, I consider beans to be a 'clean' food, but they're not 'paleo clean.'

I eat pretty well but I'm sure I don't fit within the 'clean' guidelines...my weekdays consist of natural peanut butter, egg whites, oats, protein powder, vegetables, olive oil, bananas, chicken, and sugar free jello.

I did partake in a dozen donuts yesterday though. Don't hate.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of pre- packaged foods (lean cuisines, smart ones, etc) and to my understanding, this is the opposite of eating clean, lol.

Everyone has their own definition of eating clean, but I think they would all agree that pre-packaged food like those are about as far from clean as you can get.
  • musikalmami237
    musikalmami237 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the clarification! And yes I agree, seems like a simple enough concept but not so easy to carry out, as it means more time with planning and cooking.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    If you eat prepackaged foods you are not eating clean by my definition of eating clean. My definition would be nothing from a can, box, or bag. :) I mostly eat clean.. although I'm not perfect. For instance, I do protein powders, BCAA's and greek yogurt. All those things come from a container. ;) But I try not to eat frozen meals, boxed meals, canned veggies, that kind of stuff.

Meat, and eating meat doesn't really have anything to do with "eating clean". That's more of a no face diet, or vegan.
  • ihateyoga
    ihateyoga Posts: 111
    Options
    I have been a pesctarian (eating vegetables and seafood) for one year. I love it! My doctor gives me a clean bill of heath every time I visit her. I would suggest we all eat clean and raw (more unprocessed, organic food). You go, girl! I'm so proud of you for making your very first step toward healthy living. :flowerforyou:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I eat a good amount of meat to get my 120 grams of protein daily.
    I almost never eat prepackaged food. Way too much sodium for me, makes my fingers fat.
    I hear different definition of clean eating. I think it' seating as little added chemicals/pre-packages foods as possible?
    I don't think about eating clean (versus not clean), so I may be off on what 'clean means'
    Personally to me, eating clean means washing my hands first and obeying the 5 second rule unless food falls in mud.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    For instance, I consider beans to be a 'clean' food, but they're not 'paleo clean.'

There are no "paleo clean" foods available, so we can dispense with that sub-genre right away.
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you eat prepackaged foods you are not eating clean by my definition of eating clean. My definition would be nothing from a can, box, or bag. :) I mostly eat clean.. although I'm not perfect. For instance, I do protein powders, BCAA's and greek yogurt. All those things come from a container. ;) But I try not to eat frozen meals, boxed meals, canned veggies, that kind of stuff.

Meat, and eating meat doesn't really have anything to do with "eating clean". That's more of a no face diet, or vegan.

I'm looking into BCAA's - which brand/where do you get yours from?

Clean eating is a very subjective term in reality, everyone has their own idea about it. But on the whole it is food that isn't packaged and generally not messed around with chemically. I say I eat clean, I eat foods like eggs, oats, lean meats such as chicken, turkey, pork, veggies and stuff like that. Clean eating is more of a term people have just come to use as their way of saying they eat healthy/healthier these days and can mean anything.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    If you eat prepackaged foods you are not eating clean by my definition of eating clean. My definition would be nothing from a can, box, or bag. :)

So if I make a sauce from fresh ingredients, put it in a tupperware container, and give it to a friend, that sauce is not "clean" because I put it in a package?
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I hope this message finds everyone well!

About three months ago I cut meat out of my diet except for fish and seafood. I plan to cut that out as well but figured it would be easier and more realistic for me to accomplish this if I taper off rather than doing a clean cut. My question is, since I've been cutting meat out, I've been reading more about eating clean or raw.

Was wondering if someone can shed some light on this? I eat a lot of pre- packaged foods (lean cuisines, smart ones, etc) and to my understanding, this is the opposite of eating clean, lol. Can someone please share exactly what eating clean or raw is and explain some of the benefits? Thanks!
    OP, here's a few good reads on the topic:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822501-halp-my-sandwich-isn-t-clean
    and here:
    http://impruvism.com/clean-eating/
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Urban Dictionary definition. Remarkably... it's G rated.

. Eat clean
    To consume as little junk food as possible, concentrating on whole grains, complex carbohydrates, starches, fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and healthy fats; used almost exclusively in sports and bodybuilding circles.
    "If you wanna get big, bro, you gotta train hard, eat clean, and sleep right."
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Yeah, the crowd that slams back hyper-processed protein drinks is exactly where I'd turn to first for a definition of "clean" eating. :tongue:
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you eat prepackaged foods you are not eating clean by my definition of eating clean. My definition would be nothing from a can, box, or bag. :)

So if I make a sauce from fresh ingredients, put it in a tupperware container, and give it to a friend, that sauce is not "clean" because I put it in a package?

She did say pre-packaged foods, I think you know that.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    She did say pre-packaged foods, I think you know that.

The person eating it is opening up a package - but if I packaged it up myself, it's not "pre-packaged", even if I'm not the one eating it...?