Trying to like salmon

Options
1princesswarrior
1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
Hi all,

I'm really trying to like salmon so I could really use some recipes to try. I've never really liked the strong fish taste of salmon but I love most other fish. I think there may also be a texture component as well.

But I am willing to try just about anything so bring on the recipes!

Thanks

Replies

• burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat..... I've tried countless recipes and so far this is my fave! I've probably been through about 4 lbs so far! I made it with ginger broccoli black rice on the side instead of the noodles.

http://juliasalbum.com/2013/04/asian-salmon-and-noodles-recipe/
    Broccoli Rice Recipe --> http://www.ahouseinthehills.com/ahouseinthehills/2012/4/23/ginger-broccoli-with-forbidden-rice.html
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    All I can say is try not to overcook it. The first time I had salmon, my mother made it, and I thought it was canned cat food. Tried it again a couple years later at an airport Chili's and it was fantastic. Granted, so was the tequila.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I cook salmon on the broiler mini oven at 325, I rub 1 tbsp of macadamia oil, garlic, black pepper & any Mrs. Dash seasoning. Cook for about 25mins. It always comes out crispy due to the macadamia oil and it always has a ton of flavor. My favorite fish :) Good thing about the macadamia oil it's great for cooking dishing high in heat it doesn't destroy the molecule so you still get your healthy fats, unlike the other oils. :) and it taste great
  • melaniehubbard
    melaniehubbard Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I also disliked salmon until I ate it with pesto on top.Yummie.Just put one TBSP of pesto on top of fish and baked as usual.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm really trying to like salmon so I could really use some recipes to try. I've never really liked the strong fish taste of salmon but I love most other fish. I think there may also be a texture component as well.

Thanks

I am a former culinary arts student, I've prepared salmon every which way to Sunday and have tried it at numerous restaurants ... and you know what ... I STILL HATE IT! It's pretty much the only fish I don't like ... My favorites are swordfish, shark, and tuna ... Yeah, my favorites would have to be the ones that are the highest in mercury, go figure ... I also like sardines and anchovies (strong flavors, but not salmon, I don't understand it either ...) ... I love all shellfish ... except lobster, the meat can be a bit too sweet at times ...

What's my point?

My point is:
    If you don't like salmon, DON'T EAT IT ... LoL ...
    There are plenty of other fish, mollusks, and crustaceans in the sea ...
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I loooooove WILD salmon, but find that the farmed salmon is too oily for my tastes.
    Perhaps try one version versus the other (with a recipe that you like) and go from there?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Wow. I love salmon so much that I have to control my intake of it. Have you guys tried the salmon burgers with some buns and toppings like cheese, lettuce, tomato, etc ? You may enjoy those. And maybe the familiar burger form might make the transition to eating salmon a bit easier? I don't know. It's something to consider. I use cocktail sauce on them instead of ketchup.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Why force yourself to eat something you don't like?
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's okay to not like something.

I hate venison/deer. I just do. Where I live it's free meat - and readily available. I hate it. So everyone keeps telling me I haven't had it "the way they make it." I finally asked how many ways to I have to eat it before people can accept that I just don't like it. If it were venison or starvation - bring it on. If not, I'll just eat the rest of the meal.

Same with your salmon - it's okay to not like it.

Now, that being said, my favorite way is with some teryaki sauce, or lemon/salt/pepper, or Alaskan salmon seasoning, or smoked salmon chowder. And yes, as others said, don't over cook it.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I tried liking that old dude who keeps offering to pay for my tuition.
    Nope, can't do it, even though I know it would be good for me.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Why force yourself to eat something you don't like?

This.

I tried it & it is just gross. I won't be trying it again any time soon.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm a believer in not forcing yourself to eat stuff you don't like. On the other hand, I used to be a really picky eater and have "taught" myself to like a lot of new things, and it's always nice to increase your options. :)

My favourite way of eating salmon is to get a fillet with the skin still on and pan fry it in a little oil (I use about 1tsp per person). I use this method to cook it, and it always seems to work really well. The crispy skin is amazing. http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/06/how-to-cook-salmon-pan-fry-fish-food-lab.html (FWIW the guy who wrote that used to hate salmon until he learned how to cook it better.)
  • l5barber
    Options
    I dunno - if you don't like salmon, I'm not sure a different way of cooking it will help, but here goes. I find that I dislike salmon with any sort of sweet treatment - I like it with aggressive spicing. Like mexican spices, or blackened, or in thai food, or with wasabi (used to be a restaurant in town that made these killer salmon tacos with wasabi in the sauce - out of this world!). It's also good smoked. Don't treat it like you do other fish - treat it more like red meat as far as how to season it and use it. And I'd recommend not eating it by itself - do a stir fry or something, and give it other foods to mingle with. That way you aren't singling out the specific taste.

Hopefully this helps.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    The hubby hates salmon unless it is smoked. Here's what I we do with it:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5965/smoked-salmon-and-lemon-risotto
  • Red_Scorpio_www
    Options
    5.jpg
    YUMMM :D
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    The best salmon I've ever had was, believe it or not, from the restaurant Chilis. Splendidly seasoned and cooked perfectly.

I also like sashimi. Have you tried that?
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    oh.. my favorite food.
  • ashmarie138
    ashmarie138 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have an AMAZING salmon marinade that we make all the time. We've made it for a lot of people who always claimed they didn't like salmon and they liked this... not saying that will be the case with all but if you are still willing to try different ways here is the recipe:

2/3 cup Worcestershire Sauce
    1/2 cup Teriyaki Sauce
    1/2 cup Soy Sauce
    2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
    1 teaspoon Onion Powder
    1 teaspoon Garlic Powder

Mix all ingredients in zip lock bag and soak filet (we usually do 4-6 hours, but have also done it for only an hour and it holds the flavor well) Place marinaded filet on a brown paper bag and trim around the filet (So only a small amount of bag shows, so it won't burn- the skin sticks to the bag when cooked, making it easy to pull away the meat). Place on grill for approximately 20 min or until the filet flakes with a fork.

(This makes quite a bit since we usually marinade large filets so you could probably cut it back if you are using small store bought filets)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    It honestly sounds like you just had bad salmon, salmon itself shouldn't smell or taste fishy. If it does then it is bad. This is what happened to me with all sorts of fish until I had good fresh fish, now I love it (pretty much all fish).

I like Brown Sugar and Honey glazed salmon, or parmesan crusted salmon.

With fish, if you decide to marinade it only do it for 30 minutes, marinades typically break down the fish and came make it mushy and yucky.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks

WHY!? There is a NEW release out: The GMO Salmon, it is TWICE as big as a normal one and Totally deadly. Aside from that why is Salmon so important? Do some REAL Research on Nutrition.