So I said I'd come back after 4 weeks of logging properly!

Options

Replies

• cphair27
    cphair27 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm no nutritionist, but two things caught my attention--you mentioned your mildly lactose intolerant but I see you drink alot of whole milk and consume a decent amount of dairy on a daily basis. Have you considered switching to a lower %milkfat in your dairy consumption?

Secondly, you are not filling up on enough dark leafy greens and other types of vegetables. My nutritionist recommends at the very least two cups of dark greens daily--four would be better. You'd be surprised how they can help you feel full.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

The only thing I generally "guess" is a banana when I have one. I don't know whether to weigh it skin on or off, so just go with the length measurement.
    There's a 'skin off' measurement by the gram in the database. I think it's under 'Tesco peeled weight' or something.

ALSO it's so cool that you came back! What's your job, btw?
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You need a progressive program in which you continue to challenge your muscles and not just work them. There are ways to strength train without weights. I really didn't see any loss in inches until I began that program.

I'm like 99% certain that it is progressive. I'm only on the beginner level right now.
    What other methods are there? I'm open to suggestions.

Progressive means that you lift more weight as the exercise becomes easier.

I'm sorry... not trying to be mean here, but you seem to be making a lot of excuses. You asked for advice, and when it was given, you retorted with reasons why you can't. But this is the advice that works. So when you have the will to try, you will find a way to make it work.

Best of luck!

I asked for suggestions? how is that making excuses?
    You said there are ways to strength train without weights, I asked what they were.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You need a progressive program in which you continue to challenge your muscles and not just work them. There are ways to strength train without weights. I really didn't see any loss in inches until I began that program.

I'm like 99% certain that it is progressive. I'm only on the beginner level right now.

I'm sorry... not trying to be mean here, but you seem to be making a lot of excuses. You asked for advice, and when it was given, you retorted with reasons why you can't. But this is the advice that works. So when you have the will to try, you will find a way to make it work.

Best of luck!

You said there are ways to strength train without weights, I asked what they were.

You skipped something in there... you asked for suggestions, they were given to you, you made excuses why they won't work.

As far as training without weights, there are push-ups, pull-ups, body-weight squats, lunges, a multitude of exercises can be performed without weights... then when you are ready to progress, you can perform the same exercises with heavy objects. You don't just have to have weights.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

body weight exercises- when you can do one easily (15 or more reps) then switch to a more difficult progression. push ups? do them with your feet up- do them with one arm elevated on a stair- do them with one leg up... there is always a way to make things harder. but you have to push your body further than it went the time before in order to make a change- if you only do the same thing over and over again- it will adapt (we are excellent at this) and it will stop changing- it wants the status quo- it wants the same.. whatever the same is- that's what it wants- it will adapt and live there- YOU have to insert the changes.

try strengthunbound.com some great articles on body weight progressions
  • lilacinfinity
    Options
    I'm no nutritionist, but two things caught my attention--you mentioned your mildly lactose intolerant but I see you drink alot of whole milk and consume a decent amount of dairy on a daily basis. Have you considered switching to a lower %milkfat in your dairy consumption?

When I can't obtain the lactose-free milk (supply can be sporadic at my store, I think they only get it in once a week) I will use a lactase supplement with the dairy :smile: I don't log it cos... its no calories. I spose I still should.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Best of luck!

YAGOG is progressive.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Best of luck!

YAGOG is progressive.

I'm not familiar with it. But if she didn't lose inches, I'm going to say that it didn't increase her lean body mass.
  • lilacinfinity
    Options

You skipped something in there... you asked for suggestions, they were given to you, you made excuses why they won't work.

As far as training without weights, there are push-ups, pull-ups, body-weight squats, lunges, a multitude of exercises can be performed without weights... then when you are ready to progress, you can perform the same exercises with heavy objects. You don't just have to have weights.

This is what YAYOG is though? Well, rather than progressing to weights, one progresses through difficulty in the movement. LIke it's pushups off a knee-height surface right now, then as the workouts go on it gets more difficult. I'm pretty sure I've seen one-handed pushups in there which is a little scary right now :laugh:

Sorry, but I cannot do a lifting program like NROLFW. I can't afford a gym membership, I can't afford to buy a set of weights (and have nowhere at home to put them), and my work hours and child commitments mean I can't access a gym during opening hours anyway.

Yes I asked for suggestions for non-weights methods, but then you just just came in with how I'm making excuses?
    You've given me the suggestions now, thanks. They line up with the program I'm currently doing, so I see we are on the same track.
  • lilacinfinity
    Options

body weight exercises- when you can do one easily (15 or more reps) then switch to a more difficult progression. push ups? do them with your feet up- do them with one arm elevated on a stair- do them with one leg up... there is always a way to make things harder. but you have to push your body further than it went the time before in order to make a change- if you only do the same thing over and over again- it will adapt (we are excellent at this) and it will stop changing- it wants the status quo- it wants the same.. whatever the same is- that's what it wants- it will adapt and live there- YOU have to insert the changes.

try strengthunbound.com some great articles on body weight progressions

Cheers, yup this is what YAYOG does. The progressions are built into the program, rather than me having to make the decision to increase
    I'm still only on the beginner program so they haven' t changed much yet, but there's another 3 levels to work through when I'm competent at this (I try not to look forward at what I'm expected to be able to eventually do, it's a little scary, but I've had a peek at some)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

This is what YAYOG is though? Well, rather than progressing to weights, one progresses through difficulty in the movement. LIke it's pushups off a knee-height surface right now, then as the workouts go on it gets more difficult. I'm pretty sure I've seen one-handed pushups in there which is a little scary right now :laugh:

Sorry, but I cannot do a lifting program like NROLFW. I can't afford a gym membership, I can't afford to buy a set of weights (and have nowhere at home to put them), and my work hours and child commitments mean I can't access a gym during opening hours anyway.

Yes I asked for suggestions for non-weights methods, but then you just just came in with how I'm making excuses?
    You've given me the suggestions now, thanks. They line up with the program I'm currently doing, so I see we are on the same track.

Well like I said. If you didn't see a change in inches, then it doesn't sound like this program is increasing your lean body mass. I still recommend you have your thyroid checked out a little closer, and consider a new strength training program. Also, tracking your electrolytes will help.

These are the same recommendations I made earlier in the thread. Best of luck! I have nothing else to offer.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what that program is... but if you can do 15 reps easily- then it's time to move on to another progression.

Don't be scared- I don't understand why you are scared. it's just a thing- you can do it or you can't- or it takes you LONGER to do it.

it's just a thing- no need to be scared. I am learning how to do one arm hand stands... and muscle ups.

I'm training a progression- but the thing itself doesn't scare me- it's just a new exercise. That's all. don't be afraid of it.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion you might think about... If you are having a hard time cutting due to feeling hungry, try to cut your calories differently through the week. Something like 5:2 or 6:1 might be easier for you. So if you are currently eating 1900 and satisfied, eat 1900 for 5 days a week, then drop to 1200 the other two days. That is a 14-1500 deficit or about 0.5 /week. Or you can rearrange it however you like - pick a day or two that you can not eat until dinner then eat reasonably. Do that once or twice a week to cut calories instead of daily.

I know some days I just feel like my body really WANTS a certain number of calories it seems, and I cant hit a deficit to save my soul. So its very nice once in a while to have a week like this where I can eat pretty normal almost the whole week, then pick a day I will be very busy and cut most of my calories on those days instead so I dont think about it. I also save my calories on those days for the evening - I have much better self control during the day knowing I can eat in just a few hours.

Something to try if you really are crying over cutting daily :) Good luck...
  • lilacinfinity
    Options

Well like I said. If you didn't see a change in inches, then it doesn't sound like this program is increasing your lean body mass. I still recommend you have your thyroid checked out a little closer, and consider a new strength training program. Also, tracking your electrolytes will help.

These are the same recommendations I made earlier in the thread. Best of luck! I have nothing else to offer.

OK.

Well I've only been doing YAYOG for 6 weeks or so, so I'm going to see it through before I quit :happy:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It's very possible that your metabolism has changed since the time you could eat so many more calories. I know it makes things confusing, but it's just one of those individual variation things.

I believe that your work is work that would exhaust me, lol. Still, your body is probably just fit enough now that it's not work for it. Maybe shoot for breaking a sweat for at 30 minutes to know that you are upping things. Move those things at work very quickly for chunks of time :D

The progressive muscle building will help, but it takes time. Your weights may have to be pretty darned heavy to build more muscle. That means you have a lot of strength already. That's great!
  • lilacinfinity
    Options
    Just a suggestion you might think about... If you are having a hard time cutting due to feeling hungry, try to cut your calories differently through the week. Something like 5:2 or 6:1 might be easier for you. So if you are currently eating 1900 and satisfied, eat 1900 for 5 days a week, then drop to 1200 the other two days. That is a 14-1500 deficit or about 0.5 /week. Or you can rearrange it however you like - pick a day or two that you can not eat until dinner then eat reasonably. Do that once or twice a week to cut calories instead of daily.

I know some days I just feel like my body really WANTS a certain number of calories it seems, and I cant hit a deficit to save my soul. So its very nice once in a while to have a week like this where I can eat pretty normal almost the whole week, then pick a day I will be very busy and cut most of my calories on those days instead so I dont think about it. I also save my calories on those days for the evening - I have much better self control during the day knowing I can eat in just a few hours.

is this much like just working to a weekly goal? (the android app shows the weekly remaining which is really useful!)
    Or is it more structured?
  • lilacinfinity
    Options
    I have no idea what that program is... but if you can do 15 reps easily- then it's time to move on to another progression.

Don't be scared- I don't understand why you are scared. it's just a thing- you can do it or you can't- or it takes you LONGER to do it.

it's just a thing- no need to be scared. I am learning how to do one arm hand stands... and muscle ups.

I'm training a progression- but the thing itself doesn't scare me- it's just a new exercise. That's all. don't be afraid of it.

"apprehensive" may be a better word than scared then LOL
    I can't do 15 at a time yet. I've been doing ladders, and I think my best with the pushups (knee height) is 33 in the 7.5 minutes. But I was pretty much bawling by the end of my second ladder and it only goes up to 4 at a time!
    I clearly have a long way to go.
    I don't know what muscles I use lifting heavy stuff at work (probably a combination as I'm a very good girl and bend my knees and left properly rather than banding over) but its obviously not the same ones one uses for pushups!
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    I'm guessing the poster means morale.
    This is why spelling and grammar need to be emphasised in school :wink:
    But I agree with the poster. Deprivation and large deficits lead to misery and are not sustainable.
  • lilacinfinity
    Options

The only thing I generally "guess" is a banana when I have one. I don't know whether to weigh it skin on or off, so just go with the length measurement.
    There's a 'skin off' measurement by the gram in the database. I think it's under 'Tesco peeled weight' or something.

ALSO it's so cool that you came back! What's your job, btw?

Ah! I've probably avoided it if it has Tesco. I tend to avoid the user-submitted ones unless I can verify them myself.
    So does that mean the standard MFP-approved entry for banana by weight is skin on? A skin-on weight is definitely an easier, (not to mention, cleaner) option. I spose I could weigh the skin after I eat the fruit!

I don't want to give too much away with the job thing, as it makes me pretty identifiable, within NZ/Australia, to a certain portion of the population.
    But I deal with large rolls of textiles (range from 20 - 40kg each )and spend time unrolling, cutting, folding, packing them, as well as moving them around up and down stairs and putting them in piles. So I'm constantly walking up and down along a 10 metre long bench unroll it, folding it, evening it for a straight cut, then folding the cut product and packing it away. Also unloading shipments of products. We get one product that weights 6kg each, they come in a carton of 8, and 27 of those cartons on a pallet. Those cartons get brought in off the pallet and packed away by hand. As well as keeping the place tidy!
    Because I do a couple of steps, then fold another, then another couple of steps, a LOT of them aren't picked up by my fitbit because it seems to start counting after a certain number of steps, which is sad, but I'll have to live with it. As well as all that upper-body movement.
    Imagine doing laundry for 6-8 hours a day LOL.

Yes I was very determined to come back and prove myself :bigsmile:
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options

is this much like just working to a weekly goal? (the android app shows the weekly remaining which is really useful!)
    Or is it more structured?

It can be either. You can adapt it to whatever works with your schedule - as long as your weekly total is a deficit, it really doesnt matter what you eat daily. For me its easier to just cut back one or two days (I pick days I know I will be out and about and busy, not home watching tv!).

There is a formal 5:2 "diet" - check out the groups, there is a lot of info there. I think the official name is "thefastdiet.com"? The group forum has links to some videos. I dont adhere to it strictly (they do 500 calories twice a week, I cant really go that low usually), but the idea of just hitting a weekly deficit however you want appeals to me and is so much easier than ending every day wishing I could eat more.

Another method I switch to occasionally - I have a very hard time not eating in the evenings... like I can eat 1000 calories after 3pm. So sometimes I just try not to eat before 3 (or eat something small here and there so I have less than 3-400 calories before 3pm. Then I eat as much as I want until bedtime (decent food, reasonable amounts). So far, no matter how hungry I think I am, I never end up eating more than 1000 calories after 3pm when I do this. So my day ends at a deficit and I go to bed perfectly satisfied. And its pretty easy to hold out through the day since I know at 3pm I can eat what I want.

Make your own method... timing of calories is pretty irrelevant to actual weight loss (though it may have other implications that indirectly influence weight loss for some people). So make your eating fit your schedule and habits and work your deficit in where its easiest for you.